Do I Need A Trials Specific Bike To Get Started?

Ramraider

Hey guys,

Well I have been out of the MTB scene for quite some time. I'm now @ uni and bored of sitting around the flat all day so decided to dust off the old bike. (I am a complete noob @ trials and can just remember how bunny/side hop. :D )

I have an old DMR Trailstar frame with some Judy C forks on it. It has some half decent Avid v's for brakes and some Mavic Ex721 rims and I wondered:

1. Is this ok as it is to get started before i replace it with something better? or

2. Should I replace the Judy's with a rigid trials fork in order to reduce the weight? and also

3. Do the brakes need beefing to say HS33's??

Forgot to mention its a 14" frame :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mike.

It's not the bike you ride its how you ride it.

cheers from stu

fair enuf saying that but it has to ride ok to be able to ride trials on it! mate id get sum rigid forks n sum heatsink pads or spanish fly/ plazmatic vee pads from cleanbikes ( www.cleanbikes.co.uk ) and if u havnt got a bash ring get one helps alot

thankss meee

Edited by padarik

Well the frames standover height will be low enough to start learning to ride trials on.

I would say don't change the forks. this is based on the fact that

The Trailstar2 works best with 90-110mm travel forks
so if you were to fit rigid forks i would imagine it is going to drop you bb height so low it could be a hinderance, you won't really see the gain of rigid forks til you progress.

The main things will be get a bashring, shorten your chain so it doesn't bouce all over the place, or if you have the version with horizontal dropouts you can ingnore that.

Tune your brakes up so they react quickly with good hold, this may be best done by purchasing some good brake pads (see heatsinkbikes.com for suitable vee pads) just for the rear though, standards will be fine on the front.

I would probably change your tyre to a beefy knobbler of a tyre instead of the dirt tyre i would imagine will be already on your dmr trailstar, go for something like a maxxis minion/high roller in the biggest size you can fit in your frame.

That should sort you for a while.

fair enuf saying that but it has to ride ok to be able to ride trials on it! mate id get sum rigid forks n sum heatsink pads or spanish fly/ plazmatic vee pads from cleanbikes ( www.cleanbikes.co.uk ) and if u havnt got a bash ring get one helps alot

thankss meee

Haha Paddy learn to type you fool :P Yeah, as people have said, Get some decent vee pads, And to be honest you could stick with the susp for now, I know Dan Jones ran it for a while and he rode like a bad ass still.

Tom

Edited by Tom Booth

It's not the bike you ride its how you ride it.

cheers from stu

I don't go by this really...

Now in a way that say.. a brilliant bike makes a brilliant rider...

...I mean it like - You can't ride trials on a tandem. Sorta thing...

Anyhoo...

It might be best to get some money saved up, and build up a trials bike.

At a guess, the DMR will only hold you back.

if you were to fit rigid forks i would imagine it is going to drop you bb height so low it could be a hinderance

Good point but some dmr trailblades might be ok as I think they are designed to accommodate for suspension geometry (i.e. longer than normal forks)

I would say it does matter if you're riding a big xc bike or something it's alot harder to throw it about compared to say the average beginers bike like a t-raptor or a t-pro you can still learn but it will be abit harder.

But if you can mange to learn on an xc bike you can easy ride a trials (Y)

kyle.

Trailstars used to be a common sight with trials riders at one point! ahh back in the day!

make sure everything is in reasonable nick, tight and lubed. either get new pads and set up you rear V-brake, or get a rear maggy. I would also reccomend some rigid forks, but as has been said- long ones.

Just get out there and ride, theres loads of info on here, and youl prob find some people in your area!

Simple answer is no- you don't need a trials specific bike for trials.

But taking your bike i would buy some rigid forks- not sure which because im not a stock rider but onza do some gudun's i think.

Some new brake pads because usualy avids are quite good- just tune them e.g. pads, and cabe should make it good.

sam

i started on a rig which consisted of maggies atomic labz frame marozocchi exr supra's a halo sas rear wheel and d521 front and a shitty shimano 44teeth crank...that did me for about 6months until it broke :( i loved that bike :(:( anway....erm yer so it doesnt really matter or it didnt for me as you get better you will decided what restricts your expertees and so on.........

will

Thanks for all of the replys guys!

Ok I have been looking at some trials bikes online and it strikes me that getting a 26" that is half decent is a lot more expensive than getting a half decent 20".

I have been looking a the t-raptor but don't really like its looks :ermm:

The t-pro looks pretty sweet and I think is more 'flicky' (as I have been reading) but is harder to get up large objects on?

My question is this:

Would either a 26" or 20" bike restrict me from learning certain aspects of trials? Or is it just simply a matter of taste? I have never ridden a 20" bike and am guessing this would be a good place to start?

Cheers,

Mike.

speaking from the point of view of someone who has done this.

everyones saying to put rigids on, dont :P you want your bb to be at least verging on level otherwise it will be rocky to ride :Pput a spinny gear on, then get a decent brake.

pukka!!