Should I Use Double Disc On My Stock?

joe parker

Hi, I have ask about back discs on my mod and most people said no, the reason being that it has a slight bit of modulation on a disc so it slips a bit where as a magura locks up right away. A lot of people like this on the front though. Put me straight if i am wrong but that i what i have been told.

Hope i have helped Allen.

You gota think about how you ride as well think about if you hit the rotor on something you could uber f**k part of you bike whearas with a magura your no as likely to hit it are you... plus don't the pads in some disk brakes move a bit :ermm: that would feel horrible on the back tyre

Yea, stick with your magura. Or even better, get a avid ultimate v brake:P its awesome! If you land on your rotor..its going to bend. Which isnt really a good thing! A bent disc means a screwed brake(N). Secondaly, wobbly pads isnt going to feel great on your back wheel now is it :P

From Lee

ive heard that if you use a rear disk on a stock because the wheel is so big it bends the spokes a little bit as the disk brake locks so much, didnt really notice it much when i was riding one but it all depends on what you ride. if your riding natural then no stick to your maggies. if your riding street then no stick to your maggies. :P

keep your maggies cheeper and better!!!

cheers

zIp-AdE-dOo-DaR

Wait till Rich Pearson replies (karlsoveneretrdsfsdvxczv or something) He'll give you the 411 on that rizzle. He runs a rear disc on his leeson so i'm sure he will know the positive and negative points of a rear disc (Y)

Ian

Edited by flipkickbs

You gota think about how you ride as well think about if you hit the rotor on something you could uber f**k part of you bike whearas with a magura your no as likely to hit it are you... plus don't the pads in some disk brakes move a bit :ermm: that would feel horrible on the back tyre

yes i known i went on craig's giant yesterday and it got me thinking about usein 2 disc's B)

Hi, I have ask about back discs on my mod and most people said no, the reason being that it has a slight bit of modulation on a disc so it slips a bit where as a magura locks up right away. A lot of people like this on the front though. Put me straight if i am wrong but that i what i have been told.

Hope i have helped Allen.

yep it does feel alot nicer with the magura though :closedeyes:

keep the comments coming please

joe :P

Edited by joe parker

It also depends on the frame you have...? One main reason, which seems to of been over looked here, is that a rear disc can snap or crack your frame.

A rear disc on a normal bike is used differently (it is used to slow rather than be locked completely) to on a trials bike, where you have all your weight resting on your brake mounts. In most cases the extra forces of having all your weight on one side of the bke on one small area is enough to crack your stays. Therefore unless the disc mounts are really beefy or designed specifically for trials use then you may just ruin your frame. However, there are some frames that can take the stress because they are designed for it: CLICK HERE.

So to sum up, rear discs are very good for back brakes, if you have a strong enough frame and also if it is a powerful disc.

Edited by philking

i wud if i wos u (duble disc hmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes: )

No offence mate, but you seem to know nothing about Trials or how to speak and present you're self on this forum.

In another post you keep talking text and seriously you should stop it, people can't understand you and you won't ever get validated. In my opinion make another account and start fresh.

Ohh and a rear disk you've got to be joking, sidehops will be the death of it within a week.

dont use a disk on the rear of your bike, get one for the front they are by far better because it give you good modulation, but on the rear you need to cover as much surface area as possible for the best breaking performance unless you have a 660 mm rotor instead :-

cheers..

I bought a new bike. It came fitted with tektro V brakes , Since this was my first bike i thought these wern't good enough so i Spent £120 on magura's and , apart from the cable stretching on the Vee's They were just as good , and better in the wet (partly to do with pads, or maybe ALL to do with pads). They were cheaper, and it would probably take me 3 years in replacements just for them to cost what the magura's did.

And people say magura's offer near - disk brake prefomance.

So , if it was me , id probably stick with V-brakes Until ive been riding for about 1 year.

I'm sure I've harped on about this on other threads - so do a search if you're that interested :P

But I've run dual discs since 2000? I love them to bits. I've only ever used Hope and I'm not sure I'd move away from Hope either - they are superb products with excellent warranties.

I've broken the mounts on an orange zero 2 or 3 times from it, which was a pain. But my KOT MS2 is superb for discs - in fact I'd recommend the frame full stop.

I used to run a 160mm on the rear, and I never hit it. But the 180mm I have on the KOT I managed to ding pretty badly. But with a little bit of work with a wrench it was back in to a pretty good condition. I'd sooner have to do that occasionally that to have to worry about my rims being dent-free and true. The angle I take, is that ALL discs end up warped to an extent - I've never had a set that didn't (due to hitting them or just general use) so you will get a small amount of rub.

I find the modulation pretty good and certainly got to give you more than maguras which tend to be pretty much on/off because of these sticky trials pads everyone is using - or worst case scenario tar on the rims.

Discs tend to work a lot better in the wet than any rim brake too.

I don't think it makes the bike feel any different when it's being ridden, and if it does you must get used to it because it's never caused an issue for me.

The main thing for me is I TRUST my discs. They lock on and they stay on. If they don't, they aren't set up right or there is something wrong with them.

Finally - just look at cars, motorbikes, theme parks etc. all using disc brakes because they are superior technology!

Considering how many people are running a disc on the front as preference over a rim brake. I'm not sure why so many people don't want to run one on the rear (aside from the fact that most frames don't have mounts for them).

Ultimately though - the decision is up to you. It is personal preference.