Monty 221pr

Walleee

Just built up yesterday, still to get the 221pr forks when they are available. In the meantime......

[attachmentid=3221] [attachmentid=3222]

[attachmentid=3223] [attachmentid=3224]

[attachmentid=3225] [attachmentid=3226]

[attachmentid=3227]

Edited by jake1516

The forks are off my old monty x-hyrda, unfortunately the steerer is much too short. I'm getting a set of onza forks to get me out over the weekend and until the 221pr forks are available.

The only 'sticker' on the whole bike is at the seat area, the 'Monty' and '221pr' seem to be painted on or something and laqured over while the carbon bits on the top, down and seat tube seem to be stickers too, but like I said, you only have to put the seat area one on yourself.

Unfortunately it doesnt come with snail cam bolts and it's not something I had taken into consideration, Im actually using two stem bolts at the minute which are much too long so im going to cut the down with the good old grinder.

and yes, there are loads of them about now, had I known so many people were going to get one I might have re-considered and went for an aorta or something, I just like to be a bit differant but im very happy with it indeed, and like I've said before, I've been wanting one for months now, I didn't follow the trend, I set it :-lol.

Edit: It's basically entirley Monty componentry. Unique might be having red anodised rims and hubs and headset and bashguard and.......and...... it's just not a look I like at all. I like to keep it simple.

Edited by jake1516

and yes, there are loads of them about now, had I known so many people were going to get one I might have re-considered and went for an aorta or something, I just like to be a bit differant but im very happy with it indeed, and like I've said before, I've been wanting one for months now, I didn't follow the trend, I set it :-lol.

I was going to get the 05 model a couple of months ago and im so glad that i didn't now (Y) Should be able to order mine soon-ish :)

It is a 2.7 indeed. I havn't ridden it yet but i'll habe a chance to at the weekend hopefully and i'll let you know then (Y)

The ti is about £500 or soo give or take. Maybe 450. The differance is in the region of £300 :S while the differance in the frame is minimal. Differant rear disk mount (the '06 pr seems to have the same as on the '05 Ti, i've read they were prone to cracking but won't be using a rear disk.), the Ti has an oversized headtube, and the Ti's forks are lighter and have more structural re-inforcement.

The rear end is immensly stiff without a booster, better than my steel X-hydra frame with the monty booster mounted to the rear of the stays.....

EDIT: The bars for the pr are the same as for the Ti, and are also amazingly light, the stem is fairly light too. Got my snail cam bolts grinded down to size tonight so that's one less thing to worry about now.....

Edited by jake1516

The Ti is made of titanium :o:rolleyes:

The Pr is made of the blood, Sweat n tears of Pro's! :shifty:;)

I thought the same, but that's not the case, the Ti is derived from the fact that on the full build, alot of the componentry has Ti parts, nipples, bolts and such.

The 221Ti is made out of 7005 series heat treated Aluminum, as is the 221pr.

Just one more reason to buy one (Y)

I was waiting for these pics :) Beautiful bike. Looks so neat, light... :wub:

Apparently the Monty mod frames have a 110mm hub spacing, but I can see you have the tensioners on the inside which adds up to 115mm (~5mm tensioners + 110mm hub). Did you have to bend the frame to get them in?

And supposedly there is enough space for a 180mm disc?

I went out for a short ride today, will be going out again after tea and taking the night off work as i've been 'vomitting all day'

The bike is easy on the back wheel, and it really does ride very lightly. The rear tyre is fantastic, there were a number of occasions where I was thinking 'creepy crawler/luna would slip', the monty just stuck and stuck, and that was running higher pressures than usual.

When I first put the tyre on it popped off the rim but I think I just need to keep the pressure a bit higher for a while wlile the tyre get's used to the shape of the rim, i'll let the pressure down ever so slightly this evening and see if it's still ok.

The stem cap whistles in the wind too :)

I'm very very happy with it indeed well worth the small fee. (Y)

Edit:

Inur, regarding the rearhub. I have a monty hub on the X-Lite rear wheels, and I just set it up as I did with my X-Hydra, The back wheel fits in easily. :S

I havn't a clue about the rear disk mount as I don't intend in running one, but it just seems to be a standard disk mount from what I can see. I do know that wee Sam Nugent had a problem with his monty forks and a hope disk in the the pads only make contact with the outer-most 1/3 of the disk, sorry I can't be more specific but i've never ran discs and havn't a clue about them really.

Edited by jake1516

Inur, regarding the rearhub. I have a monty hub on the X-Lite rear wheels, and I just set it up as I did with my X-Hydra, The back wheel fits in easily. :S

Yeah, the older Monty hubs were 105mm, intended to be used with a 110mm hub spacing frame and tensioners on the inside. You would probably have problems with running this hub in an other-than-monty frame though (Y)

Cheers

Yeah, the older Monty hubs were 105mm, intended to be used with a 110mm hub spacing frame and tensioners on the inside. You would probably have problems with running this hub in an other-than-monty frame though (Y)

Cheers

Yeh it's came up before with other members but apparently it's alright if you just tighten the dropout's onto the hub but it's not something i'd be wanting to try personally.....

wow, i thought that was the same frame as the 05 monty, lol it is actually a totally different frame isnt it, cool suppose thats pretty good lol that disk mount looks abit crap though, i cant beleive how different it actually is from the ti :blink: im sure i saw one lower range model that was identical to the 05 ti :S

wow, i thought that was the same frame as the 05 monty, lol it is actually a totally different frame isnt it, cool suppose thats pretty good lol that disk mount looks abit crap though, i cant beleive how different it actually is from the ti :blink: im sure i saw one lower range model that was identical to the 05 ti :S

As far as I can see, the differance is minimal...... It seems the '06 pr disk mount is based on the '05 Ti disk mount.....

Edit: just looking at http://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00457kn.jpg. My disk mount's/dropout's havn't got as much material cut out of them as the '05 Ti, so presumably mine are stronger, however I may be very wrong....

Anyway like I said, I wont be using a disk so would have bought it If it had disk mount's or not....

Edited by jake1516

As far as I can see, the differance is minimal...... It seems the '06 pr disk mount is based on the '05 Ti disk mount.....

Na it dosent really look like the 05 disk mounts at all. :blink: .As for the bike not bad , but everyone seems to be getting one now so they arnt what they used to be.