Uni People

tipsy Jock

I've been sat in front of this computer for the best part of a week now typing away at my dissertation and just figured that i can't be the only one, so hows everyone else doing? Must be a few third years out there madly beavering away. Six more weeks of work then its all over for me :( kinda depressing really

I've been sat in front of this computer for the best part of a week now typing away at my dissertation and just figured that i can't be the only one, so hows everyone else doing? Must be a few third years out there madly beavering away. Six more weeks of work then its all over for me :( kinda depressing really

I loved doing my dissertation seeing as a lot of the results were made up due to my interviewees not doing anythin g for me.

Then my computer died and thank f**k I saved it to disk.

I spent a week in the computer centre until 4pm at times writing and changing things it was so cool to be the only one there and I was actualty doing some work.

Computer got fixed and I started proof reading and printing the day I gave it in I was so pleased with wehat I had done.

Then began the long slog till the finalls an another 3, 3k word essays to write plus revisioon.

I came out alive and miss it so much Im going back in September.

Im about to start my dissertation :(

Ive done the code ive just got the report left to do. How many words does yours have to be? What you doing it on?

10-12,000k :- Half way there now i think oh and its on Soviet spies in British government and the impact they had. As soon as this is done i've got two and a half weeks to write two 3000 word essays and revisie for two massive exams then its all over :ermm: After that much riding and random drinking to be done! Surely theres more than two of us third years out there?

Edited by tipsy Jock

I've just returned to uni (halfway through the Easter Holls) to knuckle down to some coursework.

Two group design projects to finish and wirte up

One engines lab report

One project leadership essay to write

And if I have time after that, I may get the chance to revise for my exams.

Thank god I'm in my fourth year and did my dissertation last year :P otherwise I'd be screwed...

I should know this, but what exactley is a dissertation?

I gather it's a f**k off essay, but how much of your final grade does it attribute to, and have you a choice as to what you do within given subjects or is it decided for you by tutor/college/exam board?

I'm off to uni in september (hopefully) and I was just wondering what's the work load like in the first year? How much time/many days do you spend there?

Depends on the course you do really.

Engineering courses take up a lot of your time, whereas I've known people doing human science courses (like sociology) who seem to spend most of their time doing other stuff.

My first two years doing mechanical engineering seemed to just consist of attending lectures, I don't recall doing masses of work outside lectures, but the last two years (I'm on a masters) have seen a switch more towards coursework than simply attending lecture and doing exams.

From the first year point of view, all I had to do was pass as the first year doesn't count towards the degree, which was good as it allowed me to settle in and get used to the style of working, after that I've taken things in my stride. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point :)

I should know this, but what exactley is a dissertation?

I gather it's a f**k off essay, but how much of your final grade does it attribute to, and have you a choice as to what you do within given subjects or is it decided for you by tutor/college/exam board?

Depends on the what you study really, i'm doing history so i could pick any question i wanted really provided there was a lecturer that would be able to supervise the topic.Oh and mine equals a quarter of my final degree classification >_<

oh and to the guy that asked about first year. don't worry its a dawdle (when compared to third year :- ) All you have to concetrate on is getting 40% to pass the year.

I'm in the second year, and this is my situation:

I've got a couple hours tomorrow morning to perfect my short film, so that'll be more hours spent infront of Pinnacle Liquid tweaking sound levels, adding music, recutting etc (I tend to get picky :rolleyes: )

THEN I've got to print off the VHS cover (yes, we still submit projects on VHS :S ), which had to be designed in Photoshop. THEN finish up the paperwork (about 60 A4 pages), print it and bind it. THEN write a 500 word role report, a 1500 analysis of the piece, and then I can rest tomorrow night :)

But then I've got a 2500 word essay, a 2500 dissertation proposal, a 1250 word evaluation of the TV programme I'm part of, and then sort out a business proposal for a channel I'm trying to start up.

All that in three weeks...

But then I'm partying B)

Thats not too bad i was thinking more like 20k ;)

Thought you said yours was 10,000?

I gotta do 10,000 - 20,000 ontop of the few thousand lines of code ive written already. Counts for 30% of the final year for whoever wanted to know what a dissertations worth.

And the first year is easy :)

Best advice anyone could give you is to not go out at all in your first year.

Just stay in and study until you have the nickname "Stay-in <your name>".

This is of the utmost importance since in most courses, the first year carries no marks towards your overall grade.

Then, if you make it to the final year of uni, needing 50% average to gain a 1st overall, with a job offer from the company you worked for in your gap year and your only assignment for the next month already complete, and a friend has travelled 200 miles for one night only to visit you, don't go out then either.

HAVING FUN IS NOT WHAT UNI IS ABOUT!

ok would it really annoy people if i said i chose to go to new york to do a module instead of a dissertation? if so i wont say thats what i did :rolleyes: did spend 2 days in the most extravagent library ever, even the urinals were made of marble!!!!

work piling up now though 4 essays due same day thats 12,000 words, and exams are day after each other, 6 weeks term time left, get in then its off to aus or somewhere and generally not doing much

job sorted out, only need 45% ave to get grade i need overall, not bad

wish i was out riding more though

Thought you said yours was 10,000?

I gotta do 10,000 - 20,000 ontop of the few thousand lines of code ive written already. Counts for 30% of the final year for whoever wanted to know what a dissertations worth.

And the first year is easy :)

Mines 0 words so far and about 350 lines of code :(

Mine has to be as my supervisor said (holds fingers out) this thick.

Mines worth 1/3 of my final year which is worth 60% of my degree title.

dissertations? - you poor bastards...

I spent my third year doing nothing but making a computer game and getting shitfaced. I did have to do a few 70+ hour stretches with no sleep towards the end to finish up in time and it cost a fortune in marching powder but it was considerably more fun than anything I've done since.

Finished my dissertation about 6 weeks ago. Was 1000 words over the limit. It was on the techniques employed by director Chris Cunningham, to make his pioneering music videos. Had to write a part on David Lynch. That was annoying.

Got a short film to make which I shoot in about 2 weeks, then Im done.

• 2 weeks later...

Im currently rocking on about 4000 words for the essay and not quite at the end of my analysis section.

And 1400 lines of code for project part.

Hows everyone elce going?

Out of interest everyone doing dissertations without a project (i.e. just an essay) what percentage of the year is it worth?

Everyone too busy to reply i take it?

Im upto 6600 words now :)

11,300 and just the conclusion to go :) Oh and its worth a quarter of my degree >_< I'm starting to think that was the easy bit now, as well as normal modules i have a special subject which is also worth a quarter of my degree. assessed purely on two 3 hour exams, one essay based and one source based :ermm: