Fashionable Gear Ratios For Bmx

poopipe

Joe sold me a lovely bmx but its far too fast for me (girl)

It's running something like 36 - 13 or 36 - 11 (I'd count but my bike is near the toilet at work and it's humming something rotten today).

so..

what gear ratio does todays trendy bmxer run if they have a lttle cog on the back?

25-11 rings a bell which I guess translates to 28/30-13

sound about right ?

I don't want to get laughed at any more than necessary down the skatepark ...

Joe sold me a lovely bmx but its far too fast for me (girl)

It's running something like 36 - 13 or 36 - 11 (I'd count but my bike is near the toilet at work and it's humming something rotten today).

so..

what gear ratio does todays trendy bmxer run if they have a lttle cog on the back?

25-11 rings a bell which I guess translates to 28/30-13

sound about right ?

I don't want to get laughed at any more than necessary down the skatepark ...

Well i ran 28:10 on my Fit Series one and it was absolutely perfect. Good for dirt, good for doing up hills etc and good for park.

I'd suggest (Y)

EDIT:

36:13

33:12

30:11

28:10

25:9

Is the pro's ratios ;)

Edited by Trials Boy

Nah.. you don't wanna ride bmx John, you know you don't :P:D

Will you let me your bike on the skatepark? :ermm:

if you give me egg pie and beer you can ride silly little black bike. :P

after some counting I discovered its 39-14 - which is about what everybody's saying.

I'll just grow some balls and leg muscles instead then.

and pinky - a lot more would be once :P

Edited by poopipe

To be honest, if you're going from trials to BMX it will feel harder, but if you ride anything other than park (unlike our Joe), where you'll need to pedal to get your speed instead of rolling down a smooth, plywood transition, you need a bit more power available to you. I've got 33:12 on mine now (smallest driver I could get on my Ody Hazard without getting one-piece drivers), and it's a 'hard' ratio compared to a trials one, but it's well nice to be able to just blitz around. I can do short stabby bursts if I need to with it too, it's just a matter of getting used to it. Just stick with it :) Unless you get ultra micro, people won't notice you've got 'old' style ratios or anything, and no-one really cares. Just run whatever (Y)

If you've got a 14t out back, and you're used to trials and want to gently get into it, try 36:14. My brother had it for a while and it felt really nice. Then he went to 36:13 and it felt better, but if you want a spinnier gear, 36:13 is cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Would 36:14 be good ratio? If not, What tooth chainring to run with a 14t freewheel?

39 works out at about 2.75

ive been running 39-14 for a while now and it's all groovy. bit of a shock at first but you get used to it

I really liked 36:14 when my brother had it, but I prefered the 36:13 he got after. To be fair, if you've got the 36t sprocket already, why not get a 13t freewheel? It'd work out cheaper, and be that little bit more micro :P

Or do you just have the freewheel atm? Or neither?

Yeah, either or. 39 is "The" ratio, but I still kinda liked 36... Probs best off going for 36 I guess 'cos it allows you to upgrade to a 13t when it dies I guess?

Cheers mark, Just to let you know the freewheel i bought off you blew up a little while ago :( Oh well.