Homemade Trials Obsticles

OK, pallets are fun to a certain extent but to be honest its a pain carrying them into the midle of my street and back again.

so i was thinking how cool would some little boxes, or things to jump / gap/ drop

would be.

anyone had any plans before?

post them here!!!!

hey heres a box big box i made the pallet on the front is just used to it can be tapped.

IPB Image

but just get some wood and nails and build watever u like boxes , pyramids watever as long as you can ride it who cares.

Cheers Glynn

OK, pallets are fun to a certain extent but to be honest its a pain carrying them into the midle of my street and back again.

Surely a big box or something like that would be more of a pain to carry than a couple of pallets wouldn't it?

I think pallets are the best thing anyway, can be more creative with them and make loads of different lines (Y)

edit: although a box would be more solid I suppose, if you had somewhere to keep it permanently

Edited by the judge

I would have thought this was dependent on what tools you had access to and if you wanted to transport your kit.

I personally think that going down my local B&Q to buy some wood and using tools I have to make whatever I want is easier than going to B&Q at night and stealing a few pallets just to stack on top of each other.

Although, I would still get pallets for some things... they're pre-built and "free." And you can always find big cable drums (what most trials riders seem to call 'cotton reels') at your local waterboard.

Anyway, just think up the stuff you want to build, see what materials and tools are available and go from there. You can find designs for skate ramps on google... adapt them.

I've almost finished building my third trials box in my garden at the minute, i also have a rail/pole type object for messing about on.

I will get some pictures in the daytime tomorro but here's the basic blueprint for it

[attachmentid=4426]

The smaller box was made to fit on top of one end of my bigger box because i thought i would need something to tap as well, this now gives me a stepped box which is suitable for wheel replacements, bunnyhops to front wheel etc. and a larger end that i can use to tap and wheel swap on.

The only advice i can really give is make sure to use solid main beams. 4x4 poles should do the trick nicely. Use inch thick slats of wood for the top and put a support running under them to reduce chances of them snapping. And finally, after building 3 boxes i've now realised that should the box have a wobble to it don't go round plastering more legs/beams here there and everywhere... put an angled slat of wood across diagonally and screw it in tightly with 3 screws in each end, 2 scres if its a thin slat.. this should get rid of any wobble your box may have.

And yes, depsite being heavier and bigger i prefer this box to pallets beacuse its already built up and once i've moved it to where i want it i dont have to go and fetch the rest of it like i would with pallets, plus you can stand it on its end and walk it to wherever its going. If built correctly the box should be sturdy enough to last and creative enough to keep you entertained for as long as a pile of pallets would.

Edited by Krisboats

After messing about with some pallets on top of my dads flatbed trailer (about 14foot long?), I was thinking about how cool it would be to fix the pallets down, and have some spare loose ones to place on the ground. It would be like a portable trials rig, but more or less ready assembled.

The trailer has a handbrake, and those things that come down to the ground like on caravans, so it would be stable. Sound like fun?

Alun

Nice(y) any more people?

Maybe we could come up with some random 'portable' thing , that fold or has wheels or some cool idea like that

oh my god, just go out get some wood and build something, its not that hard really is it?

[attachmentid=4430]

Now its portable as well. Just try building something... its not very hard.

pallets are great luckly my mother is ok with me and my mates riding the front garden full of crates as long as i put them away in the garage,

if you have enough pallets around you and a couple of mates you can actually build some great obstacles without using the nials i.e.

put on crates on its side and up right aswell so there is a horizontal beam in the middle, than get another pallet and slot it into the standing up right pallet and then one on the other side f the horizontal pallet, and wolla what do we have, a huge H

and from this three pallet obstacle you have a tap, (either side on the vertical sides). a normal hop up (the hori\ontal pallet) and a bridge gap

just be creative

This

About five times , some higher / bigger than others , and use as like steps , hop down? drop gaps?

lol I suck at this.

That wouldn't last 10 minutes of trials use.. gimme a minute to alter it to show you how to make things trials proof.

[attachmentid=4432]

It needs beams on it to stop it collapsing, diagonal beams will be fine and it should be strong enough with just one beam per side. Drill the three holes in each end of the wooden slat and use screws to hold it in place. 3 screws improves the rigidity of the box but you might be able to get away with two screws. I would probably advise you to use stronger/thicker main pillars to remove the likely hood of the thing snapping under you.

Edited by Krisboats

Here we go, pictures as promised. Its still not finished yet but you get the idea of how its going to look from the plan i made.

[attachmentid=4433]

[attachmentid=4434]

[attachmentid=4435]

Some other thing i built for a play on.

[attachmentid=4436]

yo cam, havent you noticed youv'e been validated lol, you can post in the big boys area now :)

Ben

yea, i think he knows. but i reckon he finds the new members comments entertaining...i know i do :P

From Lee

(Y)lol i dont like the *Trials chat* section as much as this , i just use for sale / wanted really.