My Mielec Double Disc

Zordon

My new bike

This is probably the first frame ever compatible with disc and chris king bmx disc hub without any extra adaptors. The disc mount is very special - not only is it set off the center of wheel (comparing to standard mounts) but it is also +63mm. It means that I use front 160mm disc caliper and 203mm rotor.

The geometry on the photos is a bit weird - 1030wb, 362cs and about +75-80mm bb. With bt stem/bar combo it rode very uncomfy. I have managed yet to shorten the chain by two links and currently the geo is 1020/350/+65. It's still not my favourite though, too short. I'm considering sending it back to Mielec factory to get the bb lower as I ordered (+55mm).

I haven't ridden the bike for long time, only few days but despite the gigantic rotor on the back, it works wank. When I first was riding it almost didn't stop at all. Then I made lot of full stops using only rear brake and poured a water onto the rotor. Repeated that process few times. The breaking improved, especially when the rotor was still wet. But when it is dry it doesn't brake as good as I expected. No matter how I pull the lever, it slips backward on rails, stairs, steep surfaces. I will try to clean the rotor, bed it in once more. If it still works bad I'll probably return to magura.

Well, at least it looks pimp :P

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image

Edited by zordon

what are you cleaning the brake with?

i rode a megamo with a rear 185mm avid disc and the brake was IMMENSE! forward and backwards.

i think you should go for a brand new set of pads and a rotor, being careful not to touch the braking surface as this can feck up a brake big style.

set it up well and just give it a few wet rides and dry rides to let itself bed in, without giving up hope of it ever bedding in, it will (Y)

sweet looking bike by the way, muchos gealous :P

Did you specify the geometry? if so, how close does the finished product compare with your spec.?

Edit: stupid scan reading, Why d they offer something they clearly cannot deliver?

I've heard of 4 identical frames being ordered from them by the same person, apparently they were all differant when finished, I read this on OTN, which has extensive info regarding the meilec factory....

Edited by jake1516

That does look very nice.

With the brake it may be an idea to remove the pads and have a look at them, when i got my 203mm front new in the first few hours the pads just glazed over fully, obviously making the brake shite, after that i removed them, de-glazed them (read rubbed them on a rough wall) put them back in and continued riding, ever since then i have had no trouble with the brake and it is awsome, so try that.

Adam

Everyone seems to be missing the fact that it's not even the bike he asked for, +75/+80 BB, on a mod, WTF???

Also, the seatstays will flex like f**k as you've had the two side/seat tubes removed from what would be a python type design....

I'd like to know how much the frame set you back, and how long you had to wait for it.

Everyone seems to be missing the fact that it's not even the bike he asked for, +75/+80 BB, on a mod, WTF???

Also, the seatstays will flex like f**k as you've had the two side/seat tubes removed from what would be a python type design....

I'd like to know how much the frame set you back, and how long you had to wait for it.

wondered how he measured the bb rise?! maybe they designed the frame around a different fork

also, what are u saying about the seat stays flexing? how would they flex :S

I really, really, really like the look of the disk, it's beasty! Any close up pics of the disk mount and disk?

Also if the frame spec is different to what you asked for, I wouldn't settle for that, it takes away the whole point of choosing them. Get them to sort it, or have your money back.

ALun

I have a Mielec bike too, the geometry is off just a tad on mine (probably because I gave them the demensions of the bb height from the ground).

When you order a custom frame there is way more then telling the company about the chainstays, wheelbase. and bb height.

You need to tell them how you measured the bb, headtube angle, fork length, offset, etc.

I don't know, they seem like a professional business, very friendly and answered all my questions etc.

wondered how he measured the bb rise?! maybe they designed the frame around a different fork

I don't know how they measured it, but he said he asked for a specific size, and got another. He also said about sending it back, had it been a problem with the forks, i imagine he would have said so as that's slightly easier to change than a frame....

The stays look like they'd flex as there is basically not strengthening near where maggy mounts would go.

I've jus looked at a n '06 python and don't know what im opn about, they havn't got the seat tubes i was on about, but i'd still like to know how much it was, and how long it took to get to you.

front end of a BT, the middle of a python and the end of a heatsink :P

i just want to know how much ?! ...see if he got his moneys worth, i dont like it and if its anything £250 or so+ id rather buy a new "non-individual frame".

clean the rear disc thoroughly with washing up fluid or an alcohol and then swap the front pads with the rear, see how that works. don't run the rear pads on the front though, just in case you contaminate the disc

this should basically tell you what is wrong.

dunno why im writing this here though :D

edit: jersey rider: no wonder, bt originated from this factory, heatsink is still produced there

Edited by Inur

clean the rear disc thoroughly with washing up fluid or an alcohol and then swap the front pads with the rear, see how that works. don't run the rear pads on the front though, just in case you contaminate the disc

this should basically tell you what is wrong.

dunno why im writing this here though :D

edit: jersey rider: no wonder, bt originated from this factory, heatsink is still produced there

What? So the 24uk's are made there?

Doesn't mike bike make them?

What? So the 24uk's are made there?

Doesn't mike bike make them?

Mikebike just designed them, Mielec welds them.

It's just like old BT's, no idea where they weld them now.

Mielec also makes and designs their own frames and builds custom frames.

So in other words, it's like in china - Koxx, Echo, Yabba - all welded in the same factory.

Hello again guys, sorry for so late reply but I had a lot to do at my uni. Thanks for all the comments!

I love that bike !!!!! get a 203mm rotor for the front and its perfect........ how much did the frame set you back and where did you buy it ????

joshywa

I paid together with postage and custom chain tensioners 875PLN which is something around 150 pounds.

what are you cleaning the brake with?

i rode a megamo with a rear 185mm avid disc and the brake was IMMENSE! forward and backwards.

i think you should go for a brand new set of pads and a rotor, being careful not to touch the braking surface as this can feck up a brake big style.

set it up well and just give it a few wet rides and dry rides to let itself bed in, without giving up hope of it ever bedding in, it will (Y)

sweet looking bike by the way, muchos gealous :P

Before installing the rotor I cleaned it with soap and water and then used toilet tissue to make it dry.

I rode it yesterday and today and the braking is constantly improving. Still sometimes it slips but only sometimes and I thing it just need a bit more time to break in.

^^ seconded (Will's post not Jake's) :)

beautiful bike! the frame needs to be black though, as you planned it to be (Y)

edit: why should the wheelbase affect the bb rise?

Well I mistook in the measurements I took a bit. With shortened chain(stays) the bb rise is about +70mm. That still makes difference comparing to previous chainstays because the "horizontal dropouts" aren't perfectly horizontal.

I forgot to say I shortened the chain mainly because with 362mm cs brake pads didn't fully touched the braking surface of the rotor, only in 80%. Having it shortened, now they touch the rotor fully.

I specified in the order geometry for a bit different fork geometry - 365mm long and 45mm rake (like forxx, team have I think). My fork is slightly higher - 370-375mm long and 45mm offset, but I haven't made such a difference to change the bb rise from +55mm to +70mm though. It's obviously theirs (mielec's) mistake.

Once more I thank you all for all the comments. Keep'em comming :D

Hello again guys, sorry for so late reply but I had a lot to do at my uni. Thanks for all the comments!

I paid together with postage and custom chain tensioners 875PLN which is something around 150 pounds.

150 quid....... i want one !!!!! have you got a link to a site where you can order one or is it all be-spoke/ over the phone ?

www.bikemielec.com

Here are close-ups of the disc mount:

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

The disc tab is 9mm thick.

Very nice, you sir have one of the rarest hubs for a mod bike I think. (Y)

Well maybe worldwide but not in my country. As I know there are 5 rear ck hubs used in trials in Poland now. Two of them are bmx iso disc :D

Edited by zordon