Post Your Computer Workstation.!

Danny Kearns

396536228_93f41f4240.jpg

(click to zoom)

An old, underexposed photo for rollernews.com, hence the skates.

MacBook Pro, iMac, Tablet, Mighty Mouse, Phone, iPod in the background, and my nano was kickin around somewhere too.

Edited by MonsterJ

img0422medium3zq.jpg

The size is deceptive because EVERYTHING is very big. The monitors are 21" each, the case is massive, the chair is massive, and the keyboard is an IBM Model M from the 80's, which is also massive. Down on the floor you can see my second machine.

spacemouse eh. used some of them at a job once, very nifty for cad work after you get used to them.

I'm not convinced by it yet - seems pretty good for fly-through type stuff but for orbiting round an object in 3dsmax while you're modelling it's a bit unpredictable - it doesn't really maintain the object as the centre of rotation, which is a bit of a handicap.

I found some shonky drivers that might let me hook it up for use in driving games so I'll give them a rag tomorrow lunchtime

dsc00115lc0.jpg

Yay! Managed to get them dual screened, unlikely to stay though, due to my old monitor being dark, with terrible colour reproduction, softness and other such wankness.

Pretty happy all together, it all runs well and C&C3 is very good, along with CSS.

Photoshop and Lightroom are so good with the better colour, sharper, higher res, etc.

Surround sound, good as usual.

PC, fixed, no more BSODs, runs very well.

All is good, just wish I had a TV card... Unfortunately there's no space in my Shuttle.

When I touched a space mouse it had digital movement, so you were either moving in a direction or not, and nothing in between. Is that the case with all of them?

hell no, my one's got full analogue tilt in 4 directions, translation in 6 directions and twist - all optical too. You use it in conjunction with a mouse rather than instead - eg. you can be modelling with the mouse and moving your camera with the funky joystick thing at the same time.

still don't really see much point in it but meh, I didn't pay for it

why is nobody interested in my brat?

Edited by poopipe

new toy!! - they gave me a funky little 3d navigating joystick thingy. completely f**king useless but it's made everyone else at work jealous so I like it.

post-5340-1176824543_thumb.jpg

and my Brat cos I did her hair again

Great for working on cad, makes tilting the job soooo much easier

Not the bratz thing, even though its cool lol)

Edited by Si-man

Great for working on cad, makes tilting the job soooo much easier

Not the bratz thing, even though its cool lol)

i reckon it's down to the app. I'll give it a rag on Maya see if its any better than on Max. I can't quite get my head around how it's easier to use that than hold down Alt though

i reckon it's down to the app. I'll give it a rag on Maya see if its any better than on Max. I can't quite get my head around how it's easier to use that than hold down Alt though

I've used those things before at work and to be honest I don't really see the point of them either. Granted they are pretty cool for moving about without using the mouse, but I've yet to see anyone use it to its full potential by modelling and rotating at the same time (most people seem to use one at a time, modelling then rotating in much the same way that we do when just using a mouse).

The only feature I did find useful on the one I used was the ability to map the buttons to common functions used within the software. I tended to set those up to start functions that were hidden behind a bucket load of menus.