New Prototype Hope Disk Brake.

Phatmike

I think the brake is aimed towards DH use with the vented rotor keeping the brake cooler under heavy braking. I remember one of the Hope guys saying it was something like 25% more powerful than a Mono Ti 6 jobby. Also the new vented rotor will be heavier than a standard one. Probably be good for XC though i guess :S

There was a few other pimp Hope parts on the bikes too, like a set of brakes all polished up.

Why is everyone saying it's going to be a DH specific brake when it's mounted to a bike with single crown forks, double/triple chainrings (left hand shifter) and what would appear to be a remote lockout lever for the rear shock?

Does look very nice though, tempting to buy a set for my Coiler when they come out...

If Mike had actually linked to the story rather than just nicking the pictures, then people would have known more about what they can see!

Full story from the lovely people at singletrackworld.com

Yes, the lever does feature Hope's version of a TPA. Something that's been missing since the C2 disappeared...

Expect to see post mounts become the new standard as a lot of manufacturers are moving away from the tabs we're so used to seeing. Not sure how quickly trials manufactuers will change because it seems to really be influenced by the big fork players, but the world will shift that way.

post mount = shite

post mounts are waaaaaay better than IS mounts, just try setting brakes up on post mounts and you'll agree. i used to hate them but manitou, marzocchi and fox all do them, and i think rock shox are going to change to post mounts.

More likely be the leaver reach ajuster.

if what ive heard is right its goin to work like the avid juicy 7 (waits for trailnoir to confirm/deny)

id still love to see a hope trials rim brake! would piss all over magura :rolleyes:

i thought magura had exclusive rights to make hydraulic rim brakes. otherwise im aure alot of the other manufacturers would have a go.

i wonder what would be the outcome if chris king made some kind of brake.

i thought magura had exclusive rights to make hydraulic rim brakes. otherwise im aure alot of the other manufacturers would have a go.

Probably becuase

- too small market to enter into with a "new" rim brake which would be exactly the same

- most people who want maggies already have them

- very little you can change on the brake (hence the design being so simalar over the years)

very much doubt you can say we claim rights to the 1st rim brake or there would only be 1 disk an 1 car on the market as well - its just how much you would have to change to make it our own product and how much it would be worth it

sorry back on topic :$

think the brake looks nice but not for trials usage i wouldnt imagine im keeping my 203 avid FO'SURE

pardon??

anyway, it does look interesting, not the prettiest thing ever (but the hayes el camio and formula oro are both butt ugly too)

I like the vented disk, I recken it would be good for trials as it would be harder to bend, shame it only comes in 205mm though.

I cant really see it being any better than the mono trials, but it would be sweet if that lever can be swapped over to make use of the comfy lever and bite adjust.

I dont think its too suitable for trials as 1 finger braking looks like it wont work too well with that lever.

If you read the singletrack story, you'll see that the two finger lever is an optional extra they're trying. You'd be able to get it in either lever style when it's in production.

This is primarily a freeride brake, but I don't see why the lever shouldn't work with existing calipers. I'd certainly be keen to keep a Mono Trial caliper and disc rather than go to some 4 pot monster!

Now that is a step forward,

2 part disc ie- like 2 discs welded together- is extremly effecient as dissapaiting heat

post mount is better. end of. see bellow then try and argue!

(yes i know its radial but you get the idea)

[attachmentid=5049]

Edited by TomNewbold

but I don't see why the lever shouldn't work with existing calipers.

piston sizes might be wrong?

like, you might only pull the lever like 1 mm for it to lock on, or might have to pull it to the bars ect...

would be crap.

The pads would rotate on beautifully crafted needle bearings and it would make a horibbly annoying sound when in use

Does anybody still have that pic of the disc that goes on the rim of your wheel and calipers flipped out - it looked awesome!

you mean that bloody ruthless thing that crops up every 6 months ...

[attachmentid=5053] :turned:

post-683-1149174454.jpg

Edited by leedstrials