Spoke Patterns

Houseface

Radial is weaker, but lighter as the spokes are shorter. Not recommended for use with disks. Rear wheels can only be spoked radially on one side as the forces on the drive side are too large.

It also looks pimp.

(Y)

Well there you have it, that's your answer in one post! I can't really add to that.

I think it's pretty stupid to do it on weight-saving grounds, as you'll save approx f**k all grams, and it's not as strong as normal (3x) lacing. It breaks hub flanges, too. So I guess mostly people do it for pimp value, which I guess is up to them. I wouldn't do it, but meh.

Could always go 2X I guess if you want to save weight, but still retain strength? I didn't specify what pattern I was donig when I ordered my hub and spokes from Tart, and they gave me the correct length for 2X. Running fine now, so yeah, all good without the hassle of raping my hub/rim by running radial...

I think it's pretty stupid to do it on weight-saving grounds, as you'll save approx f**k all grams, and it's not as strong as normal (3x) lacing. It breaks hub flanges, too. So I guess mostly people do it for pimp value, which I guess is up to them. I wouldn't do it, but meh.

amen to that! but how does it break hub flanges? :S

If you imagine the one on the left is a spoke in a 3X lacing pattern (due to the way you twist the hub, meaning the spoke goes out at an angle), then imagine the right is radially laced, there's more material between the edge of the spoke hole and the edge of the hub in the direction the spokes being pulled in, so you have more strength basically :) There's less material stopping you from ripping the spoke out of the flange if you run radial.

post-91-1150120064_thumb.jpg

If you imagine the one on the left is a spoke in a 3X lacing pattern (due to the way you twist the hub, meaning the spoke goes out at an angle), then imagine the right is radially laced, there's more material between the edge of the spoke hole and the edge of the hub in the direction the spokes being pulled in, so you have more strength basically :) There's less material stopping you from ripping the spoke out of the flange if you run radial.

Nice diagram, well explained (Y)

But theres also different strength qualities when building wheels radially or crossed. With crossed spoke wheels they give good side to side strength but the torsional strength is very good, so 4x rear wheels last longer, however with radial the torsional strength is poop but side to side strength is better because the spokes are coming straight from the hub, so when you put more tension on the spokes you wont find buckling as much of a problem.

Nice diagram, well explained (Y)

Well explained but I dont totally agree. Yes theres less material but radially laced spokes are in compression whereas 3X are primarily in tension (due to being tangential). So, where the spoke joins the hub it is trying to push the material from under the head of the spoke towards the centre of the hub, not trying to rip the flange apart.

Radial lacing is bad for disc brakes because when you are braking, the rim of the wheel is still trying to roll whilst you stop the hub which tends to 'roll up' the spokes and stress them out. You can get away with this using rim brakes because you are stopping at the rim and the inertia at the hub is quite small comparitively.

Well explained but I dont totally agree. Yes theres less material but radially laced spokes are in compression whereas 3X are primarily in tension (due to being tangential). So, where the spoke joins the hub it is trying to push the material from under the head of the spoke towards the centre of the hub, not trying to rip the flange apart.

Radial lacing is bad for disc brakes because when you are braking, the rim of the wheel is still trying to roll whilst you stop the hub which tends to 'roll up' the spokes and stress them out. You can get away with this using rim brakes because you are stopping at the rim and the inertia at the hub is quite small comparitively.

The top of the wheel will still be trying to rip the spokes out though, in that it's still effectively working by "hanging" the hub from the spokes as you roll along?

Radial is weaker, but lighter as the spokes are shorter. Not recommended for use with disks. Rear wheels can only be spoked radially on one side as the forces on the drive side are too large.

It also looks pimp.

(Y)

Why did megamo equip dual disks come with them radial front then??

My megamo wheelset of said bike had them radial 1 side infact

i built my wheel radially because i was doing it myself and dont know how to do 3 cross yet but also wanted it looking pimp. strength is not so important on the front although there is a noticeable difference in riding with a radial wheel as opposed to a cross pattern in terms of lateral stiffnees.

IPB Image

Why did megamo equip dual disks come with them radial front then??

My megamo wheelset of said bike had them radial 1 side infact

My friend asked tarty to give him a radial wheel build for a disk and i think they refused to do it :blink:

he was a total bull shitter though! because although radial will have side to side strength theres nothing to stop it folding itself forwards??? :unsure:

4X yes, never heard of anybody running 5X, however it would most likely be possible, just need longer spokes and some way of lacing them.

Although since 3X is adequate for most people, and 4X for anyone else, it's hardly necessary really, weight:strength addition ration not really much (as in for the weight you're adding you aren't gaining much more strength)

Just run a nice old school roadie solid (disc) wheel!

has anybody got any pictures of 2x and 3x, also radial i want to see the difference between them, i can see the difference between radial and the others, bu whats diff between 2x and 3x, can you get 4x or 5x? help?

There's very little visual difference between 2x and 3x. In this pic of my bike, it's 2x front and 3x rear, and there's just not much of a difference to look at, unless you look closely/you built the wheels, like I did :P

IPB Image