Rear Avid Disc, Anyone Used One?

chrishayton

Preety sure Rich Pearsons using a 185? and that looks emense to be honest :)

gonna download the video now. hope my mounts don't snap off.....

edit. well his seems to hold pretty well. just now worried about wether it ll kill my frame

Edited by chrishayton

in my opinion avids rape the hope brakes, most of us (riding mates) run them on the front and there the best brake to bless the earth. for power, reliability, and most of all the sheer simplicity of them, no maintenance needed (Y) go for it, it will look pimp with double disk, alwasy does, and yes it will work. 203mm, your daring arnt you :D

in my opinion avids rape the hope brakes, most of us (riding mates) run them on the front and there the best brake to bless the earth. for power, reliability, and most of all the sheer simplicity of them, no maintenance needed (Y) go for it, it will look pimp with double disk, alwasy does, and yes it will work. 203mm, your daring arnt you :D

hmm i know im a bit worried my mount will snap off but its steel and looks beefy enough. got a 203 cos it was 50 quid from chain reaction and the only 1 they had

I'm currently using avid bb7 203mm in my mod (rear wheel). By far I have done dozen of rides so maybe it just hasn't bedded in yet but it's still slipping backwards. It is also now not having almost any initial bite so I have to pull the lever fully to lock my wheel - it really doesn't help in gaps as when I start applying force to pedal the brake takes part of that force.

Not only that - it's spongy on the lever. I'm using quite good cables (Jagwire Ripcord), an Xtr lever (with speed dial/tpa set up in the middle to decrease still too big sponginess).

I'm starting to miss a standard rim brake, with loads of tar.

Btw - anyone used tar with disc brake? Will it make the rotor contaminated forever?

I set up it this way:

I'm undoing the caliper bolts, then i'm pulling the lever so the pads are fully secured against the rotor, then i'm tightening the bolts and that's it. The effect is that the moving pad is flat to the rotor and the constant pad not (pads are not parallel to each other - is it normal?). Is it the right way of setting an avid up?

I set up it this way:

I'm undoing the caliper bolts, then i'm pulling the lever so the pads are fully secured against the rotor, then i'm tightening the bolts and that's it. The effect is that the moving pad is flat to the rotor and the constant pad not (pads are not parallel to each other - is it normal?). Is it the right way of setting an avid up?

this is the wrong way to set it up. you should read the manual on the avid website....setting it up right makes such such SUCH a big difference...seriously do this. you'll be blown away.

Hehe, today I set up my avid just in the way as it reads in the manual without even knowing it ( I read it a minute ago). However, by far that hasn't made any significant difference. Maybe the housing/cable are the source of my problems.

Anyway, can anyone say that his avid (no matter which one - front or rear) is at least as stiff as a properly set up maggy/vee with a decent booster?

Yesterday I couldn't fall asleep cause I was thinking about my brakes all the time. Finally I came to the conclusion. The housing is much stiffer than standard housing (than xtr housing aswell), with few tweaks it's pretty much compressionless. But the guilty of the most of the sponginess was my jagwire cables. Today I switched to standard 30p priced ones and oh my god it's soooooo stiff :o . I adjusted the lever tpa to max power and it still feels stiffer than my brother rear brake setup (xtr lever - tpa max power, avid sd7, xtr booster, built-in control frame booster, plaz crv pads, standard housing and cable).

Now I enjoy riding my bike alot more, I can kick further as the brake doesn't consume so much power from my leg.

I can't say too much about brake power as I've only tested stiffness so far but, anyway, thanks guys for help :D .