Kmc Chains

t33zr

lightweight chains = (N) I would never trust such a chain.

I agree, it's a no brainer! Just stick a decent heavy duty chain on and quit trying to save such a stupidly minute amount of weight at the expense of the flesh on your face when your poncy lightweight chain snaps and launches you nose first into the concrete!!!

Davey

you should try the kmc z510hx, it is a strong lightweight chain which retains the normal link style, kool chains were never kind to my rear sprocket so i opted for this and it did the job just as well!

Word! That's the chain I've been running for years... It's cheap and reliable! I replace the chain every three months though. Safety first :)

Edited by Chris

I can. I read a lot on bmx forums and the 510 is a very popular chain there. Most of the people recommend it and mention it as one of the first, when someone's asking "what chain is the best..." and so on :)

Plus I really feel that I can trust this chain. That's almost as important as the specs of a chain (at least for me). E.g. I can't trust a kool chain... don't know why... maybe because you read more about snapped kools than about 510s... at least in trials forums.

Edited by Chris

I can't trust a kool chain... don't know why... maybe because you read more about snapped kools than about 510s... at least in trials forums.

That's becuase sooo many people use them. And no one uses 150's, whatever they are.

The KMC 510HX chains are pretty good, and they don't rust all that easily.

Theoretically, KHE Collapse Pro chains can take a higher load before breaking and aren't heavy at all, so they should be the ideal choice, but they develop stiff-links incredibly easily, the rollers crack, and they rust if you look at them...

Your best bet's probably just to stick with Kools, 510HXs, or maybe go for some uber chain from Wipperman or Rohloff if you're loaded ;)

I used to ride a KMC Kool on my bmx but never thought much of it. That was on my bmx. It was a while ago and has been through 3 people. It's cheap as well. Around 7 quid. Plus every one else runs one. Must say something...?

I ran a Shadow chain for a few months on the bmx and it just fell apart. Good idea but the pins sucked. Plus I found a few people who snapped them. But alot of bmxers don't know what chain tension is and run the chain so it creaks.

The KMC Collapse. Real good chain. I found no problems with it so far and thought it was worth the money. (that was on the bmx) I haven't heard anything about these chains as such yet really. But not many people run them so maybe thats why.

The one that is on the trials bike at the moment is a Standard Industries heat treated. Supposedly stronger than the fat moto chains as its heat treated. 25 quid but a very good investment. I love this chain and reccommend it. American made as well.

I've never ran a Loophole but their products are good. So one of those isn't a bad choice either. 15 quid with free postage direct from their site. I got a Ti axle from them not so long ago it came real quick. 3 days I think it was.

(Y)

Edited by eskimo

Yeah, Loophole and Standard chains are pretty damn good. The V2 Shadow chains are a huge improvement too; the pins and plates are redesigned so they're a lot better.

I used a KHE Collapse on my BMX and still on my trials bike, but I'm not overly fond of them. They rust really easily, the rollers crack pretty easily, they develop stiff-links all on their own, and they just don't seem particularly high quality. They're theoretically stronger than Kools though, which is largely the reason I'm running one now...

My first Kool lasted about a year and a bit, then the next one a couple of months off that, and the next a couple of months off that. They're good chains, I know, but I just don't really trust them. At least I won't until the scars heal from when I snapped the latest one...

To be honest, i can't really see what the point is in a light-weight KMC Kool :S . People buy and use KMC Kool chains, purely because they are strong. And, regarding the thin KMC Kool chain, they are on the market for people using thinly spaced cassettes that want a strong chain!

So, again, i can't see the point...

Cheers,

Joe.

Cranks are a different story though, in that you've got a minimum of two bolts holding it all tight and nice (unless they're Odyssey Wombolts, but your's aren't, so it still stands :P), whereas a chain they've had manufactured for them in some random Taiwanese or Chinese factory is a different story. It's just not a great quality chain, pretty much. It being German doesn't mean the design's gonna be better at all :P