How To:make Your Own Tensionner With A Spoon.

paolo

:lol: That's brilliant!

A tablespoon might be better, not as long, so it'll keep the chain closer to the chainstay.. ^_^

Ooh, with a fork, if you put the nut and bolt through one of the fork bits, you could adjust it so it can slide up and down... :shifty:

In the picture: red bit = the bolt, and the arrows show where you can move it up and down to adjust it, the green bit shows where you can also have the bolt.

:)

[attachmentid=6438]

A tablespoon might be better, not as long, so it'll keep the chain closer to the chainstay.. ^_^

Ooh, with a fork, if you put the nut and bolt through one of the fork bits, you could adjust it so it can slide up and down... :shifty:

In the picture: red bit = the bolt, and the arrows show where you can move it up and down to adjust it, the green bit shows where you can also have the bolt.

[attachmentid=6438]

I had thought of using a fork, but the one that I have at home aren't sturdy enough and I also discovered there's no real use to be able to slide it up and down, you'd just want it as small as possible, to be closer to the chainstay and if it was to far away, it would just wobble like mad. But the tablespoon is really a good idea, I'll try it if I ever break the one I have now.

Thanks for the comments guys! :P

[attachmentid=6438]

Surely the gap between a forks prongs is too small - and the reason its a spoon was so you could get the axle through it, ie at the big spoon end.

How strong is it??

Considering you can bend a spoon with not much effort atall!

try bending a spoon in the direction used for tensioning it .....

its not bad (depending on the spoon i guess)

yeah itll bend if you bsh it but why not - just bend it back - 1 spoon << 1 shop bought tensioner cash wise...

awesome

Edited by manuel

Hi,

I think that is such a good idea, think about it you could use spoons for a few things on bikes...

A spoon brake booster, 2 spoons, drill holes in the ends of the handles of the spoons and in the cups then put the spoon cup undermeath the magura bolts, join the two spoons above the brake hose by putting a thread in the drilled holes at the end then just stick a screw or bolt in the thread. if your low on money then try the spoon booster.

2ndly...

A spoon vee-brake (only the left hand side though) drill a small hole in end of the spoon handle, don't even need a thread in just bolt it to the 2 bolt brake mounts, then drill another hole in the spoon cup the size of the little nipple so that the wire doesn't slip through, then you have to put 1 or 2 springs across the wire so that the spoon can spring back when you let go of the brake. sorted with a spoon vee-brake.

someone has to try these.

Tim.

Well I had just bought my new frame, while putting it together at the shop, everything looked good. I thought I would be able to get away without using a tensionner. I went riding with it and I was getting chain slap (when the chain hits the chain stay) so I modified a derraileur, it worked for a while but it was really ugly, bulky, in the way and made lots of the noise because it was on the metal part next to the roulette and not on the roulette, I had lost the part to put the cable in. Anyways, that ended up breaking it so I was thinking as to how to make my own, I tried plexiglass and other plastics they just kept breaking, so I was looking for some kind of piece of metal to use, I couldn't find any. So I thought I'd go buy something the day after, I went looking on the Internet for previously homemade tensionners, as expected "use a piece of metal this and this size". On my desk was a lying a spoon, so I decided to give it go. And it's still working good after a week after. :P