Wear Your f**king Helmet.

Mr_Pitbull

Kudos to the people around him. Nice to see people properly taking charge of situation to help someone in need.

Rich

thats a good point i've seen videos where people just stand they're going 'oh my god' or 'is he okay?' :mellow: its like :blink: does he look ok?

i think the best you can do is where a helmet but be ready to crash so you can land on your arms and try to roll out of the crash, worst thing thats gonna happen then is cuts, bruses and at worst a broken arm. i see far too many riders that hold on to their handlebars when they are crashing, as if they can ride it out.

I struggled to watch all of that, it was making feel a little queezy (sp?). But that was nasty.

I face planted the other day, off the top of a ford fiesta. Luckily the ground was fairly soft. But my helmet definetely helped there. The helmet stopped my nose and face hitting the ground. Instead, my helmet did, followed by my chin. My chin then hit my lower teeth in to my upper teeth (dentist appt. on Wednesday). I was wearing a piss-pot.

I was really unlucky that I couldn't get my hands out in time, so I just ended up rolling along my arms. I'll post a video once I've edited it up - it's funny!

This is the first injury I've ever had where a helmet would help in the slightest. When I'm doing something, I'm more worried about breaking my legs, crushing my rib cage etc. than I am hitting my head.

Edited by Spode

helmets DO help when I face planted doing dirt jumpin (I was wearing a pisspot) the doctor said I would have died iff i didn't have one because of how hard I hit the floor etc and when I faceplanted doing trials (wearing my Giro Xen) my helmet hit first which stopped my nose hitting the deck but my hin hit the floor and I chipped a big chunk outa one of my teeth...

he was quite lucky though to be fair If he had landed on his bike he might have been in hospital having a handlebar or brake leaver removed from him... reet nasty though

Are there any trained first aiders(That post on TF) that could post up a list of things that you should do when a accident occurs like in the video?

Apart from the obvious , get an ambulance etc

Im sure 70 percent of people wouldnt have a clue how to take care of someone in the same situation.

(Y)

Anyone?

helmets DO help when I face planted doing dirt jumpin (I was wearing a pisspot) the doctor said I would have died iff i didn't have one because of how hard I hit the floor etc and when I faceplanted doing trials (wearing my Giro Xen) my helmet hit first which stopped my nose hitting the deck but my hin hit the floor and I chipped a big chunk outa one of my teeth...

he was quite lucky though to be fair If he had landed on his bike he might have been in hospital having a handlebar or brake leaver removed from him... reet nasty though

^thats him^

IPB Image

Are there any trained first aiders(That post on TF) that could post up a list of things that you should do when a accident occurs like in the video?

Apart from the obvious , get an ambulance etc

Im sure 70 percent of people wouldnt have a clue how to take care of someone in the same situation.

(Y)

Anyone?

Seriously its a serious thing we should think of. Many of u guys are riding in gropus rides and everything, if something happends so should like 99% of u just stand there and whait for the ambulance.

Probably because many of u should have been chocked.

Its a easy thing to call the ambulance but its not always they can come in right time.

so some easy things to do....:

*talk with the person

*turn the person around for him/her getting easyer too breath

* try to see where the injure is.

I cant come up with more things because im not a doctor or im not trained for anything like this.

//suss

Edited by Monty_susanne

i've seen this guy out riding a few times in sheffield he is a very good park rider and a sound lad too, i always told him to wear a helmet (mainly to cover up his hair) but he said he never falls on his head!

tough break i know for a fact helmets dont always stop you smashing your face in badly, my false teeth prove that IPB Image

IPB Image

think it stopped me fracturing my skull though and deflected blow onto my chin.

how to take care of someone like that, its about 7 years since i did my bronze medallion and passed first aid bit so things have changed

support his head, with a jumper or somert, dont move them too much but ensure he wont choke on his blood. try to stem the bloody flow by applying pressure around the wound (not sure if that would work on the head though

if blood loss is severe or the person is goin into shock lift legs to let blood flow to vital organs. hope to god im not in a position where i have to do this for one of my mates!!!

how to take care of someone like that, its about 7 years since i did my bronze medallion and passed first aid bit so things have changed

support his head, with a jumper or somert, dont move them too much but ensure he wont choke on his blood. try to stem the bloody flow by applying pressure around the wound (not sure if that would work on the head though

if blood loss is severe or the person is goin into shock lift legs to let blood flow to vital organs. hope to god im not in a position where i have to do this for one of my mates!!!

I was almost shouting at them to get his head up, with the amount of blood pouring out of his nose it was clear it was going to start choking him. You could *hear* his breathing starting to get gargly.

But props to the girl who took charge and was talking to him and all that jazz.

A few minutes of Googling "Head injury situation"...

1: Do not try to move him or her in case of neck or spine injury.

2: Call for help.

3: If you've been trained inCPR, follow the recommendations if they're appropriate.

4: If he or she is vomiting or has a seizure, turn him or her on the side while trying to keep the head and neck straight.

5: If there's swelling, apply an ice pack or cold pack.

I cannot see this video :( . When i follow the link in the topic starter post, i am greeting with this message:

'This video may contain content that is inappropriate for some users, as flagged by YouTube's user community.

To view this video, please verify you are 18 or older by logging in or signing up.'

Which is a bit naff, because i want to join in the discussion. Can anyone please suggest a way of getting round this problem, without signing up to YouTube, because, to be quite honest, i can't be bothered... (N)

Thanks in advance,

Joe.

B)-->

QUOTE(joe b @ Aug 19 2006, 10:55 PM)

I cannot see this video :( . When i follow the link in the topic starter post, i am greeting with this message:

'This video may contain content that is inappropriate for some users, as flagged by YouTube's user community.

To view this video, please verify you are 18 or older by logging in or signing up.'

Which is a bit naff, because i want to join in the discussion. Can anyone please suggest a way of getting round this problem, without signing up to YouTube, because, to be quite honest, i can't be bothered... (N)

Thanks in advance,

Joe.

Yea same ere... can't understand how suss managed to view it though :blink: and possibly half of the forum..

sounds horrid.. don't think i want to see it anyways :ermm:

The idea of a helmet is that the polystyrine(sp?) moulds to your head on impact i think or something like that, which is one reason you can't wear one again after. If that guy was wearing a helmet, it may have helped him to stay concious after. I think thats the point JT is trying to make as well.

My chin then hit my lower teeth in to my upper teeth (dentist appt. on Wednesday). I was wearing a piss-pot.

I did that but it was from the top of my head down, is gonna feel weird afterwards for a while. You get used to the chip with your tounge.

Yea same ere... can't understand how suss managed to view it though :blink: and possibly half of the forum..

Was a nasty crash, i would have understood if the camera guy had dropped the camera and it was still recording, but holding it the way he did was a bit harsh i thought.

someones clearly seen the video and reported as not suitable for people under 18.... as it is rather grim im sure you will agree!

it just took a while before it was restricted.

I have and when i click confirm nothing happens :closedeyes:

EDIT:.... just seen.... feel sick watching it :sick: .. why dent they put him on his side n not let all the blood run back into his his nose :blink: makes sence to meee....

maybe a helmet would of helped... a helmets ment to stop you from braking your nose as well as protecting your head.. if youv noticed the top of your helment should stick out ferther that your noes... thats without the peek...

Edited by crazy_gap girl