New Mp3 Player Help

CurtisRider

heyup!

righty, my hd3 finally died today after a pig shunted me into a wall and the screen smashed :( which is gash as it was a damn good player and its lasted the longest out of all my portable audio (2 years!)

so now, i need a new one, but im a bit behind on the old mp3 scene, i dont want an ipod, and i will repeat, I DONT WANT AN IPOD, because, they are absolute gash and wont take much abuse either+they are gash-did i just say that?

im not fussed by fancy colour screens or photo/video playback, if its got it, then cool, but im not paying extra for it seing as its only really gonna be used for playing music

i want a 20gig player again ideally, as i can easily fill it, and a decent battery life is essential, 30hours+ seems to be about right :)

i used to own a creative and liked the way you could drag and drop songs onto it, unlike with sonys sonicstage, where you have to spend hours to get 1 song on-so an explorer based system would be good :)

ermm, not sure what else to ask for, apart from it being small and strong

ooo budget-150-200 sounds about right? seeing as my sony was 250 when it came out and technology should have moved on a tad since then (Y)

cheers, paul

Morning bruva from anuva muva, erm, most mp3 players have colour screens. But ill get on the case and edit with different links 30+ hours...surely your joking..most i can find for 20gb is 15 hours so far..

This one, i like it 20+ hours playback, also its sony .

Arrgoooooss

Edited by radical rider

heyup!

righty, my hd3 finally died today after a pig shunted me into a wall and the screen smashed :( which is gash as it was a damn good player and its lasted the longest out of all my portable audio (2 years!)

so now, i need a new one, but im a bit behind on the old mp3 scene, i dont want an ipod, and i will repeat, I DONT WANT AN IPOD, because, they are absolute gash and wont take much abuse either+they are gash-did i just say that?

im not fussed by fancy colour screens or photo/video playback, if its got it, then cool, but im not paying extra for it seing as its only really gonna be used for playing music

i want a 20gig player again ideally, as i can easily fill it, and a decent battery life is essential, 30hours+ seems to be about right :)

i used to own a creative and liked the way you could drag and drop songs onto it, unlike with sonys sonicstage, where you have to spend hours to get 1 song on-so an explorer based system would be good :)

ermm, not sure what else to ask for, apart from it being small and strong

ooo budget-150-200 sounds about right? seeing as my sony was 250 when it came out and technology should have moved on a tad since then (Y)

cheers, paul

sue the pig for shunting you into a wall, im sure thats over reasonable force.

what did you do to make the pig shove you into a wall?

Ben

Which one did you get Paul?

Im currently on the look out for a 20-30gb mp3 player. Having a colour screen with photos and video is not needed. I dont really want to have to use software (especially Sonic Stage, I have to use it for a minidisc player and its terrible) so ideally want it to work as a removable hard drive. I also want long battery life, the option to run the player off AA batteries when I dont have access to a power socket would be an added bonus!

Sorry to thread steal but can anyone help?

Which one did you get Paul?

Im currently on the look out for a 20-30gb mp3 player. Having a colour screen with photos and video is not needed. I dont really want to have to use software (especially Sonic Stage, I have to use it for a minidisc player and its terrible) so ideally want it to work as a removable hard drive. I also want long battery life, the option to run the player off AA batteries when I dont have access to a power socket would be an added bonus!

Sorry to thread steal but can anyone help?

ive had sonicstage on both my hd3 and my old minidisc, i know how bad it is! sony still use thier own software, that apparently better, im yet to find out, i shall keep you upated once ive played with it :) apparently it reuses your old files from sonicstage and puts them in the new programme, which emans all your albums will be ready to transfer :)

finding a unit that takes batteries with that size memory will be difficult, i know belkin made aftermarket battery unit thats plug into the bottom of ipods, im unsure if there is anything available for sonys

dont worry about it running off AA's - that probably aint gonna happen

maybe you should think about getting a 5V regulator and making sure you can charge (and run ?) off USB . . . .

ive had sonicstage on both my hd3 and my old minidisc, i know how bad it is! sony still use thier own software, that apparently better, im yet to find out, i shall keep you upated once ive played with it :) apparently it reuses your old files from sonicstage and puts them in the new programme, which emans all your albums will be ready to transfer :)

finding a unit that takes batteries with that size memory will be difficult, i know belkin made aftermarket battery unit thats plug into the bottom of ipods, im unsure if there is anything available for sonys

I wont be anywhere near a PC. I just dont want to be travelling and run out of battery leaving me stuck with no music. I would probably be ok with 20 hours battery life, I am just being paranoid because I dont know how often I will have access to a socket to charge up the battery.

If that Sony software requires me to convert the MP3 into a duplicate ATRAC format its not an option, I just want to drag and drop everything on to the player sorted into the folders I already within the My Music folder on this PC...

Same as mine, good choice lad (Y)

Mines in black

im liking it so far, mines chrome :)

I wont be anywhere near a PC. I just dont want to be travelling and run out of battery leaving me stuck with no music. I would probably be ok with 20 hours battery life, I am just being paranoid because I dont know how often I will have access to a socket to charge up the battery.

If that Sony software requires me to convert the MP3 into a duplicate ATRAC format its not an option, I just want to drag and drop everything on to the player sorted into the folders I already within the My Music folder on this PC...

looks like a creative would be more up your street then softwarewise, i had a zen touch and it was fantastic, strong, good storage and decent battery, just a tad bulky :(

If it can charge of of USB -then all you need to do is get a 5V regulator and attatch some AA batteries to it .. charge off the batteries

In fact just charge the thing off batteies with the appropriate regulator / connector ...

Edited by manuel

• 4 weeks later...

BUMP

Sorry for this bump but I saw no point in starting a new thread.

Firstly, how are you getting on with the Sony player Paul? There is abslutely no way I am getting Sony but Im interested how your finding it anyway.

Main reason for my bump is Im seriously looking at the Archos Gmini XS202S. Its only £116, has a long battery life and works as an external HDD when transfering music! There are a few reviews on amazon complaining about the player freezing but generally people are giving good reviews, Im really just wanting to know if anyone on here has any experience with this player?

I bought that player when my creative broke and i didnt think they would warranty it.

amazing player, easy to charge, easy to transfer music, i didnt find freezing a problem, not quite as easy to use/navigate as creative- but its damn good value.

nice size as well.

I just like my creative as its a tad smaller, and usually easier to use, so when it was warrantied i gave this to my gf, and its still going strong, no durability problems- unlike my creative which may be on its way out again.

Firstly, how are you getting on with the Sony player Paul? There is abslutely no way I am getting Sony but Im interested how your finding it anyway.

yeah man its alright :) kinda regret getting silver, its too shiny and you cant see the screen in sunny conditions :( its quite cool cos i can just plug it into my car and itll find your top 100 tunes that you have played recently, some sort of intellgient shuffle or something :) the software is still awful, its not my pc either i think (3.2ghz, 2 gig ram, blahhh) its really slow and you cant do anyhting with the pc whilst its transferring cos it takes up so much processor (or whatever it does)

i preffered my old machine, it was simpler, smaller and less off a thief magnet :( as well as all my old music being on there :P

i think my next machine will be a creative, purely for the fact they have proper software