Finding Out Whether Someone Plays...

nafan

Hiya guys bit of a random thread but getting my dad a surprise guitar for his 51st birthday in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering whether anyone could put me in the direction of how to tell whether he plays right or left handed...

I would assume that he plays right handed as he is right handed but he bats in baseball anmd cricket etc left handed...

The only real idea I could think of is to ask him to dance to the air guitar album but I don't think that's gonna happen...

Any help much appreciated,

Nathan (Y)

As you are getting him a guitar I'm assuming that he has an interest in that sort of thing? Maybe he used to play when he was younger?!? There may be photo's from when he was young about your house somewhere? Either that or ask other family members who may know!

Short of that, it'd have to be the air guitar, haha, or maybe suggest that you want to get one for yourself and ask him to come along and check them out for you. Unless you are a bit of a guitar whizz you can probably get away with saying you're unsure about what to get or don't know if you're being ripped off or whatever!

Davey

If he has never played before it doesn't really matter. I'm left handed but because I never played guitar before I bought and play right handed guitar for ease. I now play as good as any of my mates. If worse comes to worse and he can absolutely not play right handed he could always do a hendrix.

Hi, I'm a guitar teacher.

I aggree with al the above, it shouldn't matter that much which way he starts out at if he's never played before, but you can make it easier for him by starting out the way his body/mind will react to the best. If he's leaning toward playing guitar right handed he probabily won't do as well if he started left handed and vice versa.

Short of the air guitar (gotta be done anyway for comic value as a mission), I would suggest making up that you have a project at school about music and wanted pictures of people pretending to play instruments that werent there for the cover art etc.... you could pull him off the scent by getting him and other members of your family to do guitar, drums, sax etc aswell (while you take pictures for the cover of your work)

hope this helps, let us know how you get on!

The idea about the music project worked dudes, so no more worries, thanks very much to everyone...

And yeah with some acoustics you can just flip them and either learn upside down or re-string...

Cheers again,

Nathan (Y)

it shouldn't matter that much which way he starts out at if he's never played before

How come jimmy hendrix's 1st guitar he played with the strings upside down because he was right handed on a left handed guitar.... or the other way round - surley there is a natural way for someone..........

Does "handedness" really make a difference? They dont make left handed pianos and it dosent make a difference...

Fair point, but on a piano you kinda do the same thing with both hands don't you, whereas on a guitar you'd want to use the hand that you have the most control of for holding the plectrum so that it would help with the more intricate riffs etc

That's all guess work btw as I don't play either :)