Avid Ultimates Or Rear Disc?

loffa

Hey.

I'm going to switch to vees or a rear disc because I'm fed up with all the troubles I've had in the past few years with my Magura. If I'd go for a rear disc I'd get a Simtra frame with 200mm Hope trials brake. And for the vees i'd get an Xtr lever, Xtr cable and hosing, Heatsink adapters, Heatsink red pads and Avid Ultimate calipers.

Which setup would you recommend me? I have heard only good things about a 200mm rear hope trials from mr. Bigman and Tarty. But then again everybody seem to love their vees. I have never tried either a good setup of vees or a rear disc (exept on my mates Monty, but that is a different story being a 20" wheel and all). I like the smoothness and quietness of a disc, but I'm still not 100% convinced that a disc will have enough power and getting vees would also be much cheaper. Please help me out, I can't decide :-

And another thing. As I was browsing on CRC and found that you can get the Ultimates (and all other Avid vees) in 'front' and 'rear' option and was wondering what's the difference between the two of them? Which one should I get if I'm going to use it as a rear brake? (I'd guess that for rear I have to use 'rear' brakes :rolleyes: but in some thread I read that someone was suggesting the 'front' ones)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7048

Thanks,

Hendrik.

Edited by loffa

Front and rear just means the Noodle (metal pipe) is differnt

Front V brakes have a longer noodle that the rear.

Other than that the basics of the brakes are the same.

Did you ever look into XTR Vs for the bike?

Ive been running mine for 4 years with no troubles ever.

And I have know of a few wvids to break quite quickley.

I would have to disagree there.

My choise of Noodle would be the 90

For the rear because its shorter, and will keep away from your feet better.

And for the front, as every 135 noodle I have used on the front has straightened itself out in a matter of days due to the force run through the cables.

i think the idea of double disc is awesome, i rode bigman's bike in plymouth, and was tapping and gapping quite competently, the brake seemed awesome and apparently it was still in its bedding in stages, so the rear disc should be plenty powerful. as for vee brakes, i have used vee's on other peoples bikes and they generally cant get the power required for the way i ride, so i would have to say go for the double disc.

ive tried both twin disk and twin v's and ive ended up with the v's. ive got an avid ultimate lever and caliper on the back with coustsinks and an xtr front lever and caliper with standard pads. works amazing!! definatly go for this. also looks more minimalistic and all that too :)

You try to sidehop a curb to your left, only youre frontwheel makes it. What happens?

Vee (Y)

erm... You scratch up your stays a little?

In general if only the front wheel makes it then the bikes at too much of an angle for the disc to hit, because the tyre keeps it away. In my experience front discs are just as vulnerable as rears, because the front wheel just bounces to any angle it wants in a crash, so the rest of you're bike protects it less.

however if neither wheel makes it, or you're trying to sidehop to rear wheel then its very easy to bend the disc.

I would be very tempted by disks, but as I do dropout tricks it’s a definate no-no! As it is My ultimate on the back is an amazing setup and run it with koxx browns (heatsink backings) and with odyessy linear slic cables (put a few drops off finish line wet xc lube down the outer  and its so smooth and powerful. I have a light/medium grind too.