Injury Advice

physio

sounds like it could be sciatica related, the sciatic nerve runs through the muscles in the lower back/ass and if these muscles get knots/damaged etc it puts pressure on the nerve causing pain. I had it really badly a couple of years ago, it went down my leg and sometimes my leg would give way when walking.

I recommend stretching (there's plenty of advice on which ones on google) and seeing a massage therapist to try and relax the muscles and sort out any knotting. That got rid of mine and I've been fine since.

thanks for the advice, both of you.

20 inch comp bike. can't really do video. yes, i'm a bit lazy with the stretching / warmup.

i usually ride between 30min - 1.5h a day, for appr. the last 2.5 years. no problems noticed up to now. i recently switched to a stupid high gear (22-9) which i think has something to do with it.  also i used to pedal up to rear wheel (open brake), but because of the high gear this feels a bit weird, i now go on the backwheel by weight shifting and back brake locked. i think this movement is the real culprit here, at least that's when i can really feel a bit of strain in the lower back.

took a 3 week break from riding and pain was finally almost gone yesterday. went for a ride today and it's back pretty noticable now. (also got a pedal against the shin as a welcome-back present)

at least now i know it's nothing serious and i can try to do more stretching (was a bit afraid i might do extra damage before)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On June 30, 2016 at 10:04 PM, jeff costello said:

kinda answered this myself. stretching before feels a lot better! barely any pain today and way more confidence.

if i stretched before i always did it afterwards. i think my reasoning was that warm muscles are more stretchable.

Are you possibly under the age of 11? 

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Nice read for a bored newcomer.  Getting back into street trials recently and I went and fractured my right wrist in a downhill crash.  Two weeks in and I'm already thinking about starting to practice some balancing in the parking garage.  I have to stop watching Ali's vlog......

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2017 at 4:41 PM, Scott B said:

Nice read for a bored newcomer.  Getting back into street trials recently and I went and fractured my right wrist in a downhill crash.  Two weeks in and I'm already thinking about starting to practice some balancing in the parking garage.  I have to stop watching Ali's vlog......

I haven't seen Ali's blog you speak of but I can say as a 35 yo who's been riding trials for 20 years... stretch, balance, take care of your body, do CARs every day, Google them.  If something's bothering you take care of it before you ride, it may turn into something bigger and take more time away.

Ali doesn't drink so he'll have less pains as an old geezer compared to any party people on the tour... booze is an amazing substance but really is poison for the body.

about 4 years ago I had a crash that snapped my left collarbone and scapula, I never went to rehab (you have no idea what it is like in America when you aren't rich)- just lifted rocks on my own. It felt fine. 18 months ago I crashed on my right shoulder, basically put my right hand to my left butt check with my arm straight behind my back. 4 months later ona road bike I went straight into the metal corner of a rod iron fence at 20 mph... with only my right shoulder and helmet. Helmet destroyed, shoulder destroyed.

Almost a year and a half later I'm still doing rehab and haven't touched a trials bike. Through working with a great physical trainer (neuro kinetic therapy practitioner) I've found out so many things about the human body and how it works...  I spend time every day on the shoulder and proper posture, proper body mechanics that are broken down in the modern era of sitting all day doing nothing.  

I'm learning these body skills so I can continue riding pain free into my 40s, 50s.... 60s?? 70s?? Who knows.

And that's my long rant on a Saturday morning  while  cuddling dogs in the bed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AndyT said:

.... do CARs every day, Google them....

Unless you want a bazillion automobile hits, google Controlled Articular Rotation.

I already include shoulder CARs with my stretching routine before riding trials. I'll add it for hips too, as curling season (google "winter Canada") just started (already doing other hip stretching before games.) CARs seems like a good idea for everyone, probably more important for old geezers like me.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Any specific help for exercise to prevent tennis elbow? I've had it twice in the past from moto trials riding and each time it took just over 12 months to stop hurting, was unusable and agony at its peak :-( Had to give up the moto trials because of it, hoping mtb trials won't make it flare up again but could do with some preventative measures.

Also I'm pretty sure I have shoulder impingement in one shoulder which is also very painful when it flares up, so any advice around that would also be very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

The acronym “RICE” has been shown to be detrimental to healing according to the latest research.  The guy who coined the term (Dr. Gabe Mormon) has even agreed that icing inhibits the microphages doing their job if you don’t have the initial inflammation.

Just food for thought.

• 2 years later...

these topic really helped a lot for better or for worst. And I just want to ask some awkward question about this type of enjoyment of riding. Does anyone have experienced having a feeling of heavy one side of our nuts.... Not sure if this sports may cause or it is just a concidence, specially on me. Somewhat annoying during impacts, nut hurts as if i have stomach upset.... Not evern sure if this is varicocele or hydrocele.... All I can remember is I do hit my nuts since I started learning trials....