Dft Thinks Men Are Better Drivers Than Women...

andyroo

Interesting stats here to have a look at from the Department for Transport... there studies show that women crash more than men by quite a long shot (except between the ages of 17-20 but its a close one there)... makes you wonder why men pay out more for insurance?

What do you reckon? Insurance companies think that men enjoy fast cars and driving and are more easily suckered into paying higher premiums?

What do you reckon? Insurance companies think that men enjoy fast cars and driving and are more easily suckered into paying higher premiums?

got it in one!

ive not read the link yet, but i know im certainly paying a fortune to have a fast car.....

and its worth every penny!

In my experience if you see someone driving like a maniac (too fast etc) it is almost always a man, but if you see someone performing some stupid manouver across lanes and generally getting into a pickle it's almost always a woman or an elderly person.

It does say that the data doesn't apportion blame for the accidents, so if one male driver ploughed into 3 cars all being driven by women they would all be equally included, but this wouldn't give as clear a pattern as appears in the data so I guess it must be true.

I know it shows severity of collision by the injuries sustained, but if we're talking about insurers then we sould consider the cost of the accidents, I'd be willing to bet that despite male drivers having less accidents and less injuries overall that the cost of repairs to the vehicles involved tends to be more, and perhaps the number of vehicles involved tends to be more? This would explain in part the higher premiums for men!

Davey

Edited by Small_Gear_Big_Style

some stupid manouver across lanes and generally getting into a pickle it's almost always a woman or an elderly person.

Davey

Certainly. On the way to Skeggy the other month with a few mates. Came to a roundabout and some old woman was trying to drive ON TO the roundabout. She was revving the hell out of her car, getting half way up it and then rolled back down onto the road.

Of course we took the liberty of going around the roundabout a few times to laugh at her.

i've always found it funny how men slag off women drivers no end, but as soon as a car has "1 women owner" its like the holy grail of second hand cars.

anyway, i agree with what small_gear says. I bet a lot of womens 'accidents' are them reversing into a pillar at the local supermarket, where as most of the mens accidents are probably them throwing their porsche's into ditches at 120mph or rolling their white vans on a motorway.

depends what you class as better. car control wise. its men hands down, out of all my female mates that drive, wouldnt say a single one has a pinch on me when it comes to clutch control, knowing when a cars gunna lose grip,accurately judging braking distances. but ive got a few male mates that would take me to the cleaners on this kinda thing. however thats due to the macho male pursuit of pushing yourself to, and beyond your limits. where as women drivers are happy to sit in a comfort zone, men like to know how far a car can go before it eats you up and spits you out the passenger window.

better is in more legal, observing road signs, not speeding, obeying traffic signals, then its women. although there lack of spacial awareness and concentration does bother me.

safer - meh. driving within your limits. women are most likely to crash, but men are less likely to drive within there limits.

obiviously there are exceptions to this rule, and when it comes to being crap at parking arguments, they dont work, cos it aint who can drive best, at the end of the day, its just turning a wheel and lifting a pedal. its down to being able to think logically, and hand-eye-brain co-ordination.

Girl at work somehow managed to reverse into a ditch. :P

Men go fast, women crash. Simple as.

Men don't always go fast, but a woman always uses the same technique. Plus women pass their tests easier so worse drivers get through, whereas a man is very closely examined in a driving test.

I admittedly drive over the limit, not greatly but enough. But I'd only ever do it if I am alone of if I can handle it on the road etc.

Have to say woman drivers that I know think they are ACE at driving. These examples have 80% crashed at least 1 car within their first year of passing.

All very fair comments so far I feel, yes women may scrape a car while parking or might suddenly pull out in front of you and clip your bumper. BUT at the end of the day you can go and ask any traffic cop (we used to have one come in when I was at school) and he'll tell you that whenever there is a serious accident where people are seriously hurt or killed it is always a male behind the wheel. It's sad but you only have to look on this forum to find that out. So if we're talking scratched paint or broken bumpers against human life, I think it's fairly obvious who make safer drivers. I would also add that it's a biological fact that women have less spacial awareness than men (this is to do with which parts of the brain are used by the different sexes) with this in mind there isn't as much blame for women because they have a biological disadvantage. However a guy blasting the speed limits and driving like a prat is doing so by his own choice.

Remember, this report only takes into account accidents that caused a reported injury, so mild scrapes and bumps arent even taken into account. Imagine adding those figures to that as well and women would have an even greater lead on the number of crashes...

As with the blame on the accidents, it is clear that women are in the majority to blame for the accidents. The report doesnt specify blame, but if a man and a women were to crash and it was the mans fault every time, the number of crashes for men and women would be equal. Seeing as there are more crashes for women, that must mean either women are to blame completely or that women are crashing into women. Whatever way you look at it, it means that women cause more crashes that cause injury.

Overall, what shocked me in that report is the number or accidents cause compared to number of miles driven...

Men drive 85% of the total miles but women cause 33% of the crashes.

The majority of male crashes occur on the motorway, perhaps the number of long distance journeys casuing tiredness and lack of concentration may have something to with this?

Womens crashes occur at junctions and roundabouts, with the majority of the damage to the front portion of the car. I think it can be assumed that the accidents can be blamed on the women (unless someone decided to reverse into someone hard enough to cause injury) becasue of this.

Accidents occuring at a junction or roundabout can be blamed on one of two things; lack of concentration or poor coordination. Either one should be good enough reason to be failed on a driving test.

As for buying a car with one woman owner, they are always battered to buggery! Dont touch 'em...