More Than One Gear On A Mod.

TomR

My mates wondering this, i dont think it can be done but im not too clued up on mods.

Is it possible to have 2 or 3 gears on a mod bike and just use a bodged mtb SS tensioner to keep the chain tight? Hes getting an 05 T-pro i think, but he has to ride 3 miles when he comes out, which as you can appreciate will take some doing on a mod bike.

I said just find a happy medium between a good riding gear thats easy enough to do trials with, but hes determined to find a way to get 2 or more selectable gears. Im not so sure about hub widths, axle sizes etc.

Cheers,

Tom

Well, you'll have to have a casette hub, but it wouldn't fit in the frame.

So, short answer, no it wouldn't work.

3 miles isn't that far really. If he pumped his tyers up befor he set off it'd help a little.

I've always thought about adding weight to the back wheel. That would help a lot.

You'd end up with a hub with flanges thinner than your rim looking at my try-all rim.

It would involve making an entirly new hub body at least, and then you've got chain tension issue's when you move onto the lower cog.s a T-pro won't offer enough ajdustment I wouldn't have thought, I doubt most bike's would apart from maybe that ciguena mod.

If he can't do it himself half the battle will be finding someone who could actually be arsed to make such a thing, and even then it woudn't work great with chainline's and all that crap..........

don't profile do something like that white ind. freewheel? or could he get one of thwem flip/flop hubs (onza do one for £30) and run a smaller sprocket + spin his wheel round. yay profile 3 speed hub woo!

edit: 3 miles isn't that far to be ohnest, i have to do 6/7 miles if i can't get a lift to the station (mostly uphill :( ) should help his endurance for riding to (Y)

Edited by ogre

That White Ind's thing looks perfect! I thought about using a bmx hub with the threads on both sides of the hub but it would be the wrong way round if you switched the wheel wouldn't it?

He bought the bike tonight, '05 T-Bird (not pro, i forgot..), imacculate condition other than a buckled front rim and the seat clamp bolt missing for £100.

Oh, and i told him to stop being a pussy and just ride the 3 miles but he didn't listen! :P

Ill pass the link on, cheers mate!

Someone he knows was selling it and he had the money, so he got it. Im sure as he goes on he'll buy better stuff, seeing as thats how most people built there bikes up on here. We don't all go out and think "i feel like riding trials, wheres that £1500 i had lying around?"

Three words: T-Birds have seats.

Just raise it for riding to places, and lower it for trials.

They don't look that comfy though.

The seat posts on them are really short.

Even if you raise it, you wont be able to sit and pedal comfortably...

If your friend is running a disk hub, there is a cog available by some company (I could probably dig it up if he's enterested) that bolts onto the disk side of the hub, only problem is you can't coast the cranks, they will keep spinning until you stop. So your friend could flip his wheel to ride the 3km then flip it for trials...

That freewheel woudn't work. Becuase 16t is the lowest you can get one them. That's what's on the back of a t-bird anyway, so i wouldn't make a difference.

But that can easily be overcome with a bigger chainring.

He's not running a disc hub but its good to know incase he does get a new wheel anytime in the future.