Back Me Up Here Guys....

PaRtZ

WTF my dad is being such a dick. AGAIN! :angry:

My laptop is connected directly to our wireless router via a cable. My dads computer is AT THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HOUSE through 4 brick walls, he uses the wireless. No matter how many times I prove to him that im not "monopolising" the internet connection, hes too stupid to accept that his pc is so far away that what little connection he gains is NOT MY FAULT

Examples of the "tests" I've done for his benefit

When it all first started he blamed me (as said above) so i turned off all internet using programs. His pc still didn't connect, he said that because I had used it 10 minutes ago it was still using the internet < WTF?

Then I disconnected my computer from the router and told him to use it. His pc didn't connect: He then blamed that my tft monitor was actually in the way of the wireless signal. Which led to....

Me putting my tft monitor down. He still didn't connect. Hes NOW saying that because my laptop is using the plug socket next to the router, its swamping all the current and thus reducing the signal :huh:

Now please ffs tell me that its not just me thinking hes a pigheaded stupid man who's refusing to accept fault.

Thank you

PS: I won't be showing him this so feel free to say what you want

My wirless conection goes though 3 walls.

A wirless conection can go miles, it'll work any distence so long as it's in line of sight.

4 walls is a bit dodgy, but should still work ok.

You using the internet won't effect weather he can conect or not, but would alter his speed depending on what you were doing.

Edited by JT!

You using the internet won't effect weather he can conect or not, but would alter his speed depending on what you were doing.

I had honestly just turned my laptop on, and run msn and he came storming through at the same second that I got on saying that "i'd kicked him off" :huh:

Well my room, although upstairs is closer to the router than his, and i only just get a signal so hes further away, surely its understandable if he doesn't?

and JT, im sorry but how can a tiny internet useage of msn completly block my dads internet connection, if its as strong as he says it is?

A wirless conection can go miles, it'll work any distence so long as it's in line of sight.

It'll only work over such long distances if you're using directional antennae. Standard omni-directional wlan equipment will not work over particularly great distances, maybe a few hundred metres with your average home equipment without anything in the way. You're likely looking at well under 100 metres indoors.

I imagine from what you're saying it's his network connection that's going down and not his internet connection. You could try pointing out that the two things are completely different and even if you were saturating the 'net connection it wouldn't stop his wireless connection and the only affect it would have on his 'net connection would be to slow it right down.

It's worth checking your setup to make sure you're laptop and his machine aren't trying to use the same IP or something silly like that as that could explain him being kicked off as soon as you connect. Distance is the most likely culprit though. As already suggested, move his computer into the same room to test. If that fixes it then you could look into getting a wireless card with an external antennae (may not work though), place all the wireless equipment so it's antennaes are as close as possible (and not hidden under a desk or anything) or moving his machine closer permanently. Alternatively, run some cat5.

OK its definitly not a "one IP at a time" job as I've had a mate use it as well as me :)

Its definitly not his IP address cos they're different. On my router you have to use the physical mac address to gain access to it so basically thats not the same as mine so thats not the culprit either.

I know its the distance, but why the hell would he even consider it being my laptop screen in the way? surely old people aren't that out of touch with modern technology?

We had a problem recently with my family PC droppingh it's connection to the wireless network, turned out the PSU was on the blink and just couldn't provide the power for the lan card.

silly question BUT

has he properly connected his wireless LAN card. Does he have a wireless LAN card!? Are there any programs that came with it to tell you what the signal strength/reliability is like. (usually on a disk that came with the card).

4 brick walls isn't an easy task so most likely it's just that the signal can't reach. Could try getting a signal booster, no idea what sort of price they are though.

Dan

i've had the occasional (and it is very occasional) situation where one machine appears to kick another off the network (we've got 3 machines on wireless in my house) it's almost like they were both fighting over an IP address but for no good reason. It may be worth assigning an IP to each machine rather than leaving it up to the DHCP business to sort out to be honest I don't reckon it's the DHCP at fault but setting IPs manually makes me feel better - like ive done something about it

the only thing that's likely to interfere with a wireless connection is another wireless connection so it's pretty unlikely it's your tft monitor causing the problem.

Edited by poopipe

and JT, im sorry but how can a tiny internet useage of msn completly block my dads internet connection, if its as strong as he says it is?

No i'm saying the opposite. If you downloading at your maximum, you dad will still be able to connect.

Tell him to stop being an idiot, as rich pointed out, tell him when his network connection goes its a different thing to the internet. Draw a circle with an E in for the earth, then draw line (cable) into modem, and little beams going through the walls to the house make the beams wider and more spread apart the further away from the router they get and tell him big single lines are bad, he wants to be in smaller less scary lined areas of the house.

My wireless network goes through 3 walls and a conservatory, then about 30-40 feet into my garden so i can share my itunes library while i'm outside. Standard £60 netgear one.

If that fails try and convince him that he knows so little that maybe the internet just feels uncomfortable being around n00b users and has decided to actively stay the hell away from him.

Maybe he's trying to wind you up and see if you'll move obsolete objects out the way and turn things off and move plugs in their sockets. My dad does that kind of stuff sometimes and its hard to tell ifhe's being serious or not.

4 walls is a bit dodgy, but should still work ok.

it really depends what the walls are made of and their thickness. if you have 4 very thin plasterboard walls your all good but if you have 4 thick brick walls your screwed to put it bluntly lol.

he sounds like one of those people who think they know what they are on about but know sod all and try to be right all the time :P

2 words.......slap attack :-

Get a new one

A new Dad?

Anyways, sounds like your dad is doing the typical 'I am a man, and may I add older than you sonny, therefore I'll talk about any subject as though I know exactly what I'm doing, when actually I haven't got a clue'

This happened when a mate of mine broke down in the car recently, opened the bonnet and spent the next 20minutes burning himself, when the AA man came he soon diagnosed the problem - exaust had fallen off.

This happened when a mate of mine broke down in the car recently, opened the bonnet and spent the next 20minutes burning himself, when the AA man came he soon diagnosed the problem - exaust had fallen off.

sorry im not helping on the topic in hand...but that was priceless!i just laughed so much i dropped my keyboard!classic.

Carl