Anyone Ride Dmr V8's?

Phil H

I have wellgo V8 replicas and have served me very well. I had my last pair for over 4 years.

V8s and V12s are essentially the same arent they? only the V12's have sealed bearings? Aslong as you know how to use a dob of grease you can keep V8's running well.

i have used about 5-6 pairs of v8's as well, aweful things...

pins fall out, in no time and you dont even have to hit them.

bearings are rubbish.

they start wobbling after 3 weeks or so (i know you can service them but thats hastle)

and they are just rubbish, RUBBISH.

i brought a set of v12's bout 3 weeks ago, i have tried most other sets of pedals around, and i can safely say v12's have been the best.

dont waste your money on v8's in my opinion.... save £15 or what ever and get v12's. be cheaper in the long run.

In his madness Porter has a point, although the cage and pins are the same the V12 is just the sealed version. But they are worth the extra money, the bearing in the pedals are amazing. A friend of mine has had his for 2 years, they are battered to hell but they are still buttery smooth.

bearings are rubbish.

they start wobbling after 3 weeks days or so (i know you can service them but thats hastle)

i brought a set of v12's bout 3 weeks ago, i have tried most other sets of pedals around, and i can safely say v12's have been the best.

dont waste your money on v8's in my opinion.... save £15 or what ever and get v12's. be cheaper in the long run.

They really are naff, v12's are in a totally different class. One set of v12's will last the same kinda time as about 4 sets of v8's, so save a lil extra money and do the sensible thing.

Well im mixed about the V8's.

I had one set for so long(about 5ish years i think) They became seized to the cranks. And then i had a new set, and a week later they were fooked, missing loads of pins and just had no grip. Running Slim Jims now, wouldn't ride with anything else, much more supportive.

When i worked in a bikeshop we were constantly getting V8s back with people complaining that the bearings were shot after only a few weeks. Never used em myself i've always had the V12 mags but after seeing the number of returns i doubt i would ever buy v8s.

Just ignore DMR, get some Gusset SlimJims from tarty, awesome pedals.

ohh yes-slim jims are awesome

i can safely say in my experience after owning several sets of v8s, 1 set of v12s that they are rubbish, they lose the pins far too easily, and i dont even try and go to pedal-axles on the v8s are weak too :( the copies by wellgo are good value for money and the pins stay in better, but the metals a tad soft :(

for cheap pedals, onza shindigs are awesome-just give them a good wollop of grease inside before you use them :)

I've been on unsealed slim jims for a few months and they're very, very good. The pins screw through the body so theres no problem with buggered threads and the concave is very foot friendly.

That said, I've never really had a problem with v8s - the pins come out but you just whack some grub screws in (use araldite once the threads get destroyed) and you're sorted.

I never bother with expensive pedals like the v12s cos I usually end up destroying the body within the first year or thereabouts so it's just a waste spending money on sealed bearings.

V8 = good.

v12 = f**king awesome.

I dont see how people manage to f**k them up so quickly :rolleyes:

There awesome pedals. As long as you inject the seringe of grease that comes with them and do the pin's up until there almost rounding off when you buy them then you'll be all good.

There great pedals. Ive had mine for ages.

bearings are rubbish.

they start wobbling after 3 weeks or so (i know you can service them but thats hastle)

Aggreed, V12's are deffinately worth the extra money (Y)

The only real reason is for the much nicer bearings! V8 bearings work their way loose and are harder to maintain. To service V12's you just have to remove the pedal and pack a load of grease on the axle, with V8's you have to ponce around catching bearings and then the awkwardness of getting the bearings back in place.

I wouldnt say there is any other advantage for trials though, both V12's and V8's have pins that are going to get destroyed if you twat them.

I run VP's on the trials bike and V12's on the XC bike, I run V8's on the work bike and have run V8's for trials. V12's have the nicest bearings and are the easiest to maintain, VP's are cheapest and dont have pins to knock out (Yes the VP cages bend but you can bend them back and the price is right)

I want VP style pedals with V12 bearings!!!