What Brake Pads?

531joshua

Hi,

I've been looking at a range of different brake pads for Magura HS33's. My old Magura kool stops have worn out and i didn't think much of them from the start. I have read numerous descriptions on the available pads but can't decide as they are all quite similar etc. I ride mostly natural but a bit of street every now and then so I need a pad that's got "a bit of both". I used to run a light grind on my rim but found that the Magura kool stops tended to work better on a smooth rim as they are harder compound. What I'm looking for here is peoples opinions/experiences on different brake pads. Any help much appreciated!

Thanks, Josh.

koxx greens if you plan on riding through the winter, good wet weather pad. koxx browns if you want a long lasting pad on a medium+ grind. I found plaz's didnt seem to work to well when mixed with water but really great in the dry on a grind. onza citrus for cheap pads that do a good job but dont last that long with grind. They're the only pads Ive ridden with, tried coustinks and they were immense so maybe try heatsink bikes? the snowys look good value and heard good things about them too.

Coustsinks all the way. I guess that if you ride natural you'll be riding in various weather conditions. You can't go wrong with these pads, they're very good in dry weather and even better when it's a bit humid (serious, imo they work better when the rim is slightly wet). Also the pads are quite hard and so are the backings which gives a great feel on the lever. Steve has done a great job making these pads. Don't let the price put you off, they're worth every penny. Just make sure they'll fit into your frame as the backings are rather thick resulting in the pad being thicker than a normal 8mm pad with plastic backings.

Thanks for all the replys so far. Thanks for this link ^ inparticular it helped quite a lot! And I think I'm probably going to go for the tarty pads as I found that the riders review described my riding style/type best.

All comments much appreciated. Thanks Josh.

Edited by 531joshua

plazmatic crmz, because there the best pad on the market, they hold, the sound good, how long they last and cheap cant go wrong to be honest... (Y) get some..

I think plazmatic pads are the best around

Definatly plaz crm pads they give a good hold and bite

they also have a good wear life (Y)

Sorry to burst you litle "plaz rule" bubble, but in the wet they are SHITE, realy realy bad in the wet!!

When i was running my HS33 my coustsinks were awsome, in the dry, but thn in the wet, oh dear lord, i rode bristol in the pissing rain, and my brake was AS GOOD as it was in the dry, even after riding through the little pond things on the water front they still sqwaked like when they were dry!!!! (coust material in plastic backings will not be as good!)

They may be a little bit on the expensive side, but they are DEFFIANTLY worth it.

If you don't want to fork out for those, go for koxx greens, they are awsome winter pads (Y)

Adam

Sorry to burst you litle "plaz rule" bubble, but in the wet they are SHITE, realy realy bad in the wet!!

When i was running my HS33 my coustsinks were awsome, in the dry, but thn in the wet, oh dear lord, i rode bristol in the pissing rain, and my brake was AS GOOD as it was in the dry, even after riding through the little pond things on the water front they still sqwaked like when they were dry!!!! (coust material in plastic backings will not be as good!)

They may be a little bit on the expensive side, but they are DEFFIANTLY worth it.

If you don't want to fork out for those, go for koxx greens, they are awsome winter pads (Y)

Adam

Arnt there some decent blue pads out Adam? :-

I have the same experience with the cousts as bigman does. i too have ridden in the shallow pools by the waterside in bristol, and brake was just as good.

also my claim to fame, i designed and prototyped the aluminium backings that were later branded heatsink :)

Arnt there some decent blue pads out Adam? :-

Um, i dunno Ali......

I supose i could say yes :P Joy Pads are awsome, not yet tried them in the wet though, but i am sure i soon will, i am running them on a vee brake and they work VERY well!!!

Adam