Disc Or Maggy On The Front?

larrybailey~

i originally thought whats the point in a disk? but when the chance came up to get my hands on a 203mm BB7 cheep i was like ok i have the right hub and the right forks ill give it a shot! it was immense no maggie has ever come close to the power and control of this disk it was absolutly totally immense!

havent seen anyone bent a rotar could happen on natural more i guess!!!

but if you can id deffo go for a disk!

Its common knowledge that dics are better however from watching my mates having various problems with disks im glad ive stuck with my maggy for now. In the future I will get a disk but my advice would be if you got a maggy stick with it for now, it'll be fine.

And also, not to be offencive, but if you don't know that a disk is better on the front then it sounds like you probably don't need one. :P

Phil

i'd stick with the maggie mate as you have just bought a new front wheel with no disk mount and your maggie is fine just get a bleed on it and itll run much better.

better be good weather tomoz as i wana ride all day

ollie

Edited by oliyoungman14

ive ran various different brakes on the front.pretty much any brake is good as long as its set up well.discs are nice,they have a nice feel to them.but maggies work just aswell.light grind with some koolstops on the front and youve got yourself an awsome brake.if youve already got the maggy,stick with it.especially if you dont have disc ready hub/forks.maybe have a ride on other peoples bikes that have discs on,get a feel for them,and see which you prefer.

Carl

started riding with a front disk today i prefer it to a maggy because it can lock up as act as a decent brake for just slowing down without killing pads on a grind + disk pads last longer and they work just as well (if not better) in the wet (Y)

Disc all the way... my maggie was aweful, as soon as i got a disc i was hooked. Never going front vee or maggie again.

And to people saying you can really bend them, you can break just about any part and not be able to ride home. Snap your rim, break your axle, snap your bars/stem, snap your bb. Why's having a disc much more of a problem? PLus, my avid one has been quite strong... when i was riding natural a while ago i used the rotor to keep the front of my bike on a rock, no other part was touching the rock just te rotor.

I've also landed on it before on rocks and its been fine. They're not as fragile as you would think.

• 1 year later...
I'm thinking of moving on to a disk, but i really don't know why. I think there evenly matched, except if you hit a disk on a wall and it bends, then you can't ride home :(

I had the same idea too, i was FRIGGING reluctant to move on to disc from my rims HS 33s. lol!

I WAS SO wrong!

Get a disc, the control is superb...n mine is only a louise not a marta.

I've hit my rotor onto the kurb and rocks a couple of times, nothing happened...

My friend uses the TRY-ALL Trial brakes, the one like tarty's...hes been riding for 3 years on the same brakes...literally bashing the rotor while sidehopping

and nothing happens....

I'm not saying rotors are bomb proof, but you'll seldom hit them really....go for it!

I'm planning to run a rear disc once i have enough money to get a new set of martas.