Kot Ms2?

Waynio

does anyone own one? and do they use rear disc?

Strengths? weakness? i know Matt Staples had one a year or so ago. just want some info on them, need something to "play" with for a project.

Cheers, any help much appreciated.

Waynio.....................

My mate had a rear disk one. They are pretty nice apart from the bb is a bit high for my tastes but they also have a tendency for the back end to crack on the seatstay, thats what happened to my mate's and apparently its not uncommon

Hey Wayne, its Ben from Singapore here..

Well im riding a 'short' kot ms2 at the mo..rides nicely, just that my wheels are making the bike a tad heavy.haha.. besides that its comfortable to ride. But i do agree with AliC that the bb is kinda high.

I used to have marta 180mm's in the rear but i went back to using rim brakes this year. The rear disk was nice but in the long run it didnt really work, and the power wasn't consistent.

Maybe i just had bad luck after changing bads many times. I've decided to go back to rim brakes as they give me much more confidence, but do run them with a booster, the magura mounts look like they'll snap anytime..

Cheers.

Edited by Ben_OCP

My mate had a rear disk one. They are pretty nice apart from the bb is a bit high for my tastes but they also have a tendency for the back end to crack on the seatstay, thats what happened to my mate's and apparently its not uncommon

this problem has now been sorted and an extra brace in between the seat and chainstay has been added to aid the frames strength, according to phil on the isle of wight

hey bro!

just so happens went on a group ride other day and there wuz a guy on a long and another guy on a short kot ms2.

out of curiousity i rode both and apart from being very biased towards shorter bikes and mostly ridin bmx these days... gotta say the shorter one is much nicer!

Agreee with Ali C bb is too high on em. But the disc mount on the rear looked solid enough. Stil prefer the old megamo design imo.

Both fellas had rear disc goin and were happy with it. The slack ha on the longer version really makes it feel crappy... gapped to front weel and it just sorta slid cant get weight over the front.

If the new brace on the rear stops em crackin... then im sure itll be a top frame.

stil not my kinda thing these days but the short one did make me wanna hop again!!

catchya soon geeeez

danny....

it would be the short i would be looking at (Y):) cheers for the help so far people. i have had SMO reply to a pm about his.

i have e-mailed adam at tartybikes to get his 2p on things. just waiting for a reply.

with regards to the b/b position thats not an issue as the b/b on a kot is exactly the same as my Yaabaa in fact the geo is pretty much the same bar the slightly shorter back end.

Cheers again (Y)

Waynio..........................

the vans not stickerd up

post-334-1168338165_thumb.jpg

im looking into the strengths and weakness's of rear disc as i am in the process of adapting my Yaabaa to rear disc. i need a frame of "similar" geo to put me on if the frame is going to take 2/3 weeks to do. as long as i turn upto competitions and ride koxx anything i do in my spare time/training is personal choice. i feel i need to try different frames to choose my next koxx frame.

Waynio..........................

Yo ho ho Waynio!

Just before christmas i changed frames from a 05 Zoo Pitbull (long) to a 06 KOT MS2 (long).

I have also converted from maggie to an 07 hope mono trials aswel.

I have found the transition pretty easy. The wheel base difference is noticable depending on the move i'm doing (especially bunnyhops, can't get nearly as high as i used too) and the 'cockpit' position is slightly closer than the zoo. But that is perfect for me as it gives a lighter, flicky feel to the bike as i'm starting comps soon. That was also my main reason for changing frames and converting to disc. I think i have made a wise decision.

Ok, the disc.

took about a week to fully trust the disc. Waiting for it to bed in which didn't take long and getting used to no noise on the back. That threw me off at first as i was used to hearing a loud schreech to tell me when the brake had locked. Other than that i'm pretty confident with the disc now and would have no problems with rails, tapping and gaps. I trust it to hold, but then i didn't go to disc for street riding. It's competitions where i have heard a great deal of praise. I'm guessing thats why you looking into differnet frames and brakes to help increase your performance in your comps. It's actually pretty hard to damage the rotors when side hopping but then you side to the right! And i'm not really into that side of it.

Strengths.

Feels alot lighter than my zoo. Has a higher BB rise but compensating with my huge rise stem (i am 6'6" so need it anyway to feel right on the bike)

I think it is more fragile than most frames. Is not a big beefy street frame like zoo's, Echo, Adamant (they have all that bracing and struts in the frame to make them stiffer and stronger, but heavier). Thinkbikes do a lot of spins, gap tricks front wheel moves and bmx style lines for demos and the frames are holding out. Spode did break the first style KOT but has since got the revised frame with the extra brace on the chain stay, but has since managed to crack it again in two places around that new brace. I do 180 gaps to 360 spins and wondering how long mine will last. But still loving the frame.

Speak to the long time owners of the frame,

Adam at Tartybikes (really helped me in choosing a KOT over Simtra)

Spode at Thinkbikes (check out the videos to see what can be possible with the discs - www.thinkbikes.com)

And Dave at Thinkbikes (very smooth on his KOT)

Can't think of any others right now but will keep thinking.

Dave and Spode have short KOT's so would be very helpful in queires. Can't remember if Adam is a long or short frame..... ask him.

Hope that helps Wayne and will contacting you soon about a project for the summer.

Laters, Rob

Edited by Tall_Rob