Anyone Rock Climb?

Willy

if your in Sheffield I'd recommend the works, place is huge filled with sweet routes (Y)

Plus if you're a fan of TGS it's brilliant... Paying £7 to go and stand in a queue, epic. :P Still go roughly once a week though.

Absolutely knackered today, I was weight training on Friday night before walking to my wenches house carrying all my gear, plus clothes and stuff and my work bag for Monday. Yesterday we took my brother down to the Foundry yesterday, taught them both to tie on and belay properly. (No lead, just top rope). Had a rather epic time.

No bouldering this week for me though. :(

EDIT: Muel on my brother's account. Cockend left it logged in.

Edited by wilf

Plus if you're a fan of TGS it's brilliant... Paying £7 to go and stand in a queue, epic. :P Still go roughly once a week though.

Absolutely knackered today, I was weight training on Friday night before walking to my wenches house carrying all my gear, plus clothes and stuff and my work bag for Monday. Yesterday we took my brother down to the Foundry yesterday, taught them both to tie on and belay properly. (No lead, just top rope). Had a rather epic time.

No bouldering this week for me though. :(

EDIT: Muel on my brother's account. Cockend left it logged in.

Could see how it could get busy but the one time I went there with my mate there was possibly 4 other people there so pretty empty :D

Think its hard to get a good quality wall which isn't crowded, I climb at big rock in Milton Keynes and that gets quite busy in the evenings...

x

Yeh I've not been for a while, just too busy at the times I can go. I like the foundry a lot more, just less busy and more interesting IMO.

I went outside today! Lovely day for it. I seconded a VS (hardest route I've climbed outdoors), really enjoyed it. I could easily second harder, but my mate who leads didn't fancy doing anything harder.

We set up a top rope to play on an E4 later on, he managed but struggled, I had two goes but failed about half way each time.

Edited by Muel

Nah, will have a look. Ta. :) Kinda wrote it off as it's a bouldering forum, I'm just looking to chat about gear and stuff at the moment, but I shall have a proper scout round.

Had my first climb in my new harness this weekend. Was rather lovely. Went for a DMM Renegade, tis a massive step up from my old one.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I know it's probably cold and nasty where most of you are, but seeing as I just posted in the photo thread I'm going to rub it in and share a few photos here from the last couple of days. They're all from the Tonsai Bay area in Thailand, and it's f'cking unreal. One of the best weeks of my life, and today I nearly led my first 7a (going back with some Jedi focus before breakfast tomorrow).

So if you want somewhere to go climbing abroad where it's hot, the food, women and drink are good, and everything's just chilled... this is the place.

taiwan-wall-1.jpg

phra-nang-beach.jpg

tonsai-beach.jpg

taiwan-wall-2.jpg

I need to go there one day.

I'm currently leading at about a 6A level indoors, not sure on the bouldering side of things, about V5 I reckon.

My climbing buddy has fallen out with me in a rather spectacular way, (long story), so now I need a new friend, or I need to teach myself to lead outdoors, or I need to stick to sport/indoors.

Bad news about your partner. I found that soloing and trad climbing outdoors did wonders for my confidence. When you really get into the outdoor stuff it can be a headf'ck climbing high above your last clip. On one route this week I was about to put the second one in and saw the rope had come out of the first one - presumably I hadn't clipped it properly. Familiarity breeds contempt, and I guess that's how experienced people still have bad accidents.

Keep pushing it indoors. I'm back in the city now and need to find which of the indoor centres here is best so that I can keep on it. I went back yesterday morning and nailed the 7a clean which felt really good. I'd only been saying a few days earlier that going from 6's to 7's seemed like such a big step. That said, there was a 7a+ next to the 7a, and it looked disgusting. And the 8a next to that was out of this world, although some German machine still did it...

Whatever you do, keep climbing, and get to Tonsai. I'm going back in a few months, it's such an addictive place. I want to rig a high-line there too if I can find some collaborators...

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news about your partner. I found that soloing and trad climbing outdoors did wonders for my confidence. When you really get into the outdoor stuff it can be a headf'ck climbing high above your last clip. On one route this week I was about to put the second one in and saw the rope had come out of the first one - presumably I hadn't clipped it properly. Familiarity breeds contempt, and I guess that's how experienced people still have bad accidents.

Keep pushing it indoors. I'm back in the city now and need to find which of the indoor centres here is best so that I can keep on it. I went back yesterday morning and nailed the 7a clean which felt really good. I'd only been saying a few days earlier that going from 6's to 7's seemed like such a big step. That said, there was a 7a+ next to the 7a, and it looked disgusting. And the 8a next to that was out of this world, although some German machine still did it...

Whatever you do, keep climbing, and get to Tonsai. I'm going back in a few months, it's such an addictive place. I want to rig a high-line there too if I can find some collaborators...

Yeh but these things happen. Just means that my girlfriend is having to come climbing more often, shame. She's loving it though, especially as before I didn't like pushing it when she belayed me in case I had a big fall, but now I don't really have a choice. doing wonders for her confidence too as well, just seeing the gear hold me falling on it I think.

I've had similar before, was coming off the wall and on the way down noticed that a clip was stuck open... How I failed to spot it on the way up remains a mystery.

I'm bouldering a lot at the moment and improving pretty quickly. Going back to my old favourite wall on Sunday (haven't been for a couple of months), looking forward to trying a few routes I've had my eye on for a while.

Going bouldering tonight actually on my own, might bother some people but I couldn't care less. You tend to find that people talk to you a lot more on your own as well, so new friends can be made.

Pics please. I love exploring stuff. Got a lost crag to find when it's a bit drier. All I know is it's rough location, it's almost hidden, had 28 routes at one point but hasn't really been touched for about 20 years, oh and the gear is rubbish on most of it. Perfect. :P

Didn't take a pic because it was raining whilst I was there, only like a 2 move problem on it, sit start on a slopey edge into a small undercut then slap up for the top, v2/v3 possibly some other stuff around there but everythings soaked and covered in rubbish but this wall was overhanging and bone dry. Top out was soaking and covered in tonnes of moss, but reckon can clear enough of it to top out, had a jug and the rest was flat so should be alrighty :) Did find another boulder which I didn't think had been climbed on (nothing online and loads of moss on un that) but was also really obvious and on the way to another boulder so Im unsure, would need to wait for summer for that one to be able to be dry enough really. Defo need to have a trip up here again in the summer time.

x

Edit - also not 100% on access for people, its on MOD land and although locals are allowed to go on it not sure if other people are really, they might not be all to amused with tonnes of people climbing on it and people with guns are people to keep in a good mood :P

Edited by Milford Cubicle

Bouldering is the one! I'l get a pic of the problem when I'm up trying it (Y) and hopefully a vid of me sending it :) just need some dryer weather now... Moving near birmingham soon so should be climbing in the peaks a load more :D being 2 and a quarter hours minimum away from any rock is looooooooooooooong

x

Well I live in Sheffield, so if you want somewhere to stay closer to the peaks for a weekend in exchange for a lift you can stop at mine. :P

Burbage, Stanage, Millstone, Lawrencefield etc are only 30-45 mins away.

Edited by Muel

Don't have a car and wouldn't be allowed to drive one if I did because I don't have a license :P Should be working on that when I move up to bham plus am living with climbers who do drive so tis all gravey :D Hopefully should make my grit(+general outside) climbing grade jump up a bunch which'l be sweet, proper psyched to get stronger and improve my technuiqe a lot this year and hopefully avoid screwing my finger up again as well.

x

Ahhh, I'm in the same boat. :( Don't know anyone with a car now either, dang!

Just popped to Go Outdoors, (booo hissssss support your local shop you b*****d etc), got 6 quickdraws for £40. Just cheapy wiregates (Camp Orbit Dyneema).

2055-Photon-Wire-Express-Dyneema-11-20cm.jpg

Unfortunately they're all 15cm, ideally wanted some 10cm ones but for that price, they'll do. They have many a special offer in there and it's right next door to my local wall (15 min walk from my house), so I'll be checking back regularly for a similar sort of deal. At the very least, I just got 12 decent wiregates for £40.

Edited by Muel

im back on with climbing now after dislocating my elbow.

got back to point where can do v4's starting to look at 5's now. just have to be careful not to strain the arm. doing a bit of leading every now and then at about 6a level. looking at upping to 3 times a week now and a bit of gym in between so I can get some more strength for summer when I can get outdoors.

Not been on here for a while!

Stopped riding trials to start climbing about 2 years ago. Currently climbing about E2/3 and f7a.. Muel (I've rode with you a few times but can't rememebr your name!) Do you climb with the Sheffield uni club much? I've just got back from El Chorro with them. I am not at the Uni I am working in Derby but know a few of them.

Anyway I am about most weekends in the Peak somewhere so give me a shout if you fancy getting out..