Anyone Rock Climb?

Willy

Ive only really started at our Uni climbing wall at the moment but I really enjoy it. Although its a very simple wall with a bit of an incline at one bit. Good fun though. Would love to do some bouldering or some real climbing.

Ive only really started at our Uni climbing wall at the moment but I really enjoy it. Although its a very simple wall with a bit of an incline at one bit. Good fun though. Would love to do some bouldering or some real climbing.

your uni club will have trips out to REAL places :) Make sure you go, no matter what, you wont be disappointed :)

regards bouldering, as i pretty much live smack bang between nescliffe and trevor, and close to the llanberis pass(along with about a million other cliffy type places that are hidden everywhere round the welsh hills). Do I just buy an £11 chalk ball,bag and belt(although given the fact im only going to be a few feet off the ground, is a belt really necessary or can i just leave it at the foot of a boulder,as its not like im going to be 90 foot up a climb, and need to re chalk) and go for a climb? Are climbing shoes a must? and how much do they cost(or am i going to be able to just piss around for a few weeks wearing some martial arts trainers?)

climbing shoes arent *required* but you'll be able to do SO much more with a pair. I really recommend borrowing some of buying some if you're going to even just try it. In regards to chalk, yeah it doesn't need to be attached, slap some on and climb, fall off, try again etc. Bouldering routes usually aren't long enough to require more than one chalk...dip...thing.... But you do need a chalk bag to contain the chalk ball :P

Thats my favourite thing about bouldering, is the minimialistic kit. Shoes + chalk + chalk bag. (Y)

Yeh climbing shoes are a must, and they must fit right. Its much better to goto a shop and try some on than buying off the internet.

Another semi-essential for bouldering is a bouldering matt. A light weight portable crash matt that, whilst not comfy to land on, will stop you breaking your ankles/ribs when you fall from 15ft up. For similar reasons going with at least one other person's not a bad idea.

Its also well worth buying a bouldering guide book covering the area you wish to climb. The guides give you information on access rights to private lands, places to park, pictoral guides on established routes up the rocks with gradings allowing you to make the most of your day.

your uni club will have trips out to REAL places :) Make sure you go, no matter what, you wont be disappointed :)

Its not a club as such, its just a wall at our gym that Ive been inducted for so Im not sure if I will go on trips or not but I just found out there are a few other Climbing clubs around Bristol.

Climbing shoes will make so much more of a difference I reccon. I don't have any at the moment and I just wear my trainers but when your on tiny crevices your shoes will just fold.

Edited by King C

but when your on tiny crevices your shoes will just fold.

yeah got it in one really. You'd really be surprised at what you can stick on. I bought some scarpa vantages as my first shoe. They're a great introductory shoe because the sole is quite stiff, and new climbers wont have develop the muscles under their feet yet so this supports it. The rubber is quite soft too :) Anyway point is my shoes as 'low' rating as they are, I can still stand on about 8mm button holds! :o Obviously any less and I try to use my instep rather than just my big toe...but its hard to comprehend until you put on a pair and use them :)

This ofcourse means that with climbing shoes EVERYTHING becomes a ledge :P

• 4 months later...

I used to a few years ago at a local sports center i got really into it but it colsed down due to the instructer not supervising it properly and someone breaking thier toe because of it.

I would love to get back into it though but because im a fat shit i probably wont. :giggle:

Does tape help stop your fingers getting shredded? Or is it just carry on till then harden up like in trials.

doesn't usually stop it. It mostly delays the inevitable of the skin being cut open and leaving flappers (sure you can guess what they are...) Mostly Ive found I only use it for bouldering, as outdoor trad is more about manning up and withstanding the cold and placing gear right, than upper body strength moves.

Yeah, we dabble in a bit of amateur indoor bouldering about once a week, so doesn't really give much time for them to harden up. I've got flappers before and thats kinda what I was after stopping. Only bouldering for a few hours a week so not exactly hardcore.

• 1 year later...

Bump for this thread, because it would be good to know if there's anyone else on the forum doing any climbing at the moment?

I'm living out in Mallorca at the moment, and bouldering, climbing, or deep water soloing almost every day. Going for a big multipitch in the morning: 250metres in 7 pitches. It's only a 5+, but it's more of an endurance event than pushing the limits of my technical climbing! The plan is to go to Santanyi for some deep water soloing on Sunday too, if we're not too tired. And there's a bouldering competition/party near where I live next weekend too, so that should be fun.

It would be cool to know what kind of stuff everyone else does, and maybe see some photos. If there's a few climbers still active on the forum, maybe we could organise a big climb somewhere?

Edited by NVWOCI WVS

Climbing at the moment?

254396_10150264755278615_510663614_8831104_5222703_n.jpg

Thats a no then :( (search chit chat for broken bonez for more info) When im not broken I mainly do Trad in limestone/slate crags (just because its local) and 2 a year head to the peaks for some grit! Back in north wales we used to head to pariellas cave quite a bit for some epic power bouldering too.

Ive always wanted to go to mallorca for DWS! Never done it before and can imagine it being a bit scary at first... Some friends of mine have done multipitch sport and said it was good, but at about pitch 5 they were bored of the rock :P Hopefully you wont feel that! Let us know what the belay points are like though!

Are you using a guide book or a local/someone whos been before?

Climbing at the moment?

Thats a no then :( (search chit chat for broken bonez for more info) When im not broken I mainly do Trad in limestone/slate crags (just because its local) and 2 a year head to the peaks for some grit! Back in north wales we used to head to pariellas cave quite a bit for some epic power bouldering too.

Ive always wanted to go to mallorca for DWS! Never done it before and can imagine it being a bit scary at first... Some friends of mine have done multipitch sport and said it was good, but at about pitch 5 they were bored of the rock :P Hopefully you wont feel that! Let us know what the belay points are like though!

Are you using a guide book or a local/someone whos been before?

Nasty break. get it sorted, and get climbing again!

Yeah, the psicobloc is amazing. Going to the arch at Santanyi tomorrow, which should be fun.

The belay points were pretty solid, and 3 of them are on ledges big enough to comfortably rest on, but we did a slightly harder variation on the standard route, which isn't climbed as often. The bolts on the final pitch weren't healthy, and I didn't take any trad gear up (we could have followed a crack to the top, if we had a rack of gear), so we had to abseil all the way back down, which was a bit annoying. Still an amazing climb though.

The guide books are really useful, but local knowledge is far better. One of the guys I boulder with sometimes is 62, and literally knows every climb on the island. He's probably the best guide book there is. He runs a climbing gym too, which means he's a useful friend for when the winter comes.

I've just started sticking some photos up on a tumblr. Mostly climbing stuff on there, and some from today, so take a look. http://samueldoman.tumblr.com/

I definitely recommend taking a trip out here to do a bit of climbing. The flights to Palma are dirt cheap, and it's worth it for the deep water stuff.

Edited by NVWOCI WVS

• 3 months later...

I want to be climbing again but everything seems to be stopping me from going climbing...

2 years ago I was confidently leading indoors at 6a/6b and also leading sports routes at Portland and Swanage of a similar grade, then I badly damaged a finger learning to snowboard on a dry slope and was unable to climb for over a year. Since then all my climbing partners have moved away and this summer I knackered my ankle and toe crashing the DH Bike in France.

Long Story short, I want to climb, have no one to climb with, keep injuring myself... oh and the climbing wall is a 60 mile round trip and costs £9 entry and I do not live any closer to real rock :(

Sounds like a rather shitty situation. :(

I live in Sheffield, so less than an hours drive to Stanage, Burbage or the Roaches, plus loads of little places, and my flat is 0.7 miles from the Climbing Works. Would be rude not to start again!

I've never led, just never appealed to me that much. I'm shit anyway, hardest I've ever climbed is severe outdoor, no idea on indoor. :lol:

bought myself some second hand 5-10 shoes the other day, MUCH better than my dads 30 year old shoes that I have been using, and fit better too. I really want to go climbing (well, bouldering mostly) but I am not sure if my foot is up for it yet.