Anyone Rock Climb?

Willy

They're approach shoes. They're for walking to the crag in and can be used for scrambling and stuff too. I've never really understood the need for them though, I just have walking boots.

I think they're OK for driving in though, whereas walking boots are pretty annoying I believe.

They're approach shoes. They're for walking to the crag in and can be used for scrambling and stuff too. I've never really understood the need for them though, I just have walking boots.

I think they're OK for driving in though, whereas walking boots are pretty annoying I believe.

Try driving in B3's - mega sketchy!

Dave, how far away from Dartmoor are you? Dartmoor is a bit of a mini bouldering mecca, so if you can get there you'd love it! Have a look at UKclimbing.com - Theres quite a lot of info there, you can search for local centres too. Beware of the forums though, it has its trolls like every other...

With regards to shoe differences you're paying more for rubber type (soft and sticky vs hard and stiff (giggedy) ), outer contstruction, reinforcement areas (heel cusps and toe boxes) and other constructino methods that promote performance in certain areas. REALLY, if you're just starting, don't bother with expensive stuff, because a pair of toe-hooking wonders like the la sportiva solutions would be useless to you if you can't toe hook!

Get to your local bouldering wall and just crack on. Speak to people (climbers are usually friendly) get advice and beta, learn technique, get stronger, crush, win world championships....etc.etc

Any of you beys from Plymouth? really fancy giving this a try, mainly for fitness. 5 years of binge drinking and smoking at uni have f**ked me lol

Give Joe Seddon a shout on Facebook. He's based in Plym and goes climbing semi-regularly over winter I think

• 2 months later...

Time for a bump. Any updates from anyone?

Heading to fontainebleu for a week on Saturday. Pretty excited but going with the north wales crushers (V10, V11 boys) so I might get left behind!

Also sent my first V9, Fat cat roof on Monday. So happy to get it ticked.Only taken about 12 sessions :/

post-6800-0-11026500-1400748134_thumb.jp

(sit start, back of the roof. My friend was in the way :P )

Also ticked my first f7b+, Power struggle. Pretty steep terrain but on mostly big holds. Was quite surprised as I've been mostly bouldering recently...

As a shameless plug, Im organising this years Gower Climbing Festival (http://www.gowerclimbingfestival.co.uk/gcf/) so if anyone is thinking about a weekend away somewhere different I can THOROUGHLY recommend visiting the Gower. Beautiful scenery and great climbing (if you know where it is). The locals, and myself, will be about so plenty of local knowledge can be exchanged. I'll be updating the video on the website shortly ;)

If anyone wants any information on the latter, don't PM me. Email me at: 438609 at swan.ac.uk

I've just started climbing again at our little local bouldering wall. Used to do it a little, but never often enough that I ever improved.

Picked up my first set of shoes and chalk bag the other day and have been going around twice a week for the last 3 weeks or so. Really wanting to keep at it this time too, seem to have loads of motivation at the moment.

Due to how much we ride Dartmoor in the summer, the idea is so that when we're done riding for the day, but the weather is still real nice, we'll just stay up there and play around with some problems.

Was climbing on Tuesday night and a 14 year old girl f**king kicked my ass! That said, she's been climbing since aged 10 four times a week and competes, so that helped sooth my bruised ego :P

Any of you beys from Plymouth? really fancy giving this a try, mainly for fitness. 5 years of binge drinking and smoking at uni have f**ked me lol

Dave me and Joe are probably going for a climb tomorrow, but i'll let you know whenever were heading somewhere.

Due to how much we ride Dartmoor in the summer, the idea is so that when we're done riding for the day, but the weather is still real nice, we'll just stay up there and play around with some problems.

Just got a climbing mat through yesterday for that exact reason mate :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just been having a sort through my stuff from my uni house and come across my climbing shoes and chalk, which I bought second hand during first term with great intentions of climbing at the indoor wall multiple times a week. In reality I used them about 3 times and can't see myself using them again!

So if anyone fancies them, they're size 10 'scarper force':

9929E193-6ADE-458E-98AC-A5D22362D871_zps

Aside from that, I don't know much about them! £20 posted (with the chalk) if anyone fancies them

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Don't think so - fingers may be a reaction to some old minging tape I used but not sure what's going on with my back. Not ideal! Easing up slowly so fingers crossed for tomorrow I guess. Doc's said to rest it, another 24hrs is more than enough surely! :P

Where exactly is your finger sore? Was there a sudden moment when it happened?

• 2 weeks later...

6B and 6B+

Not too hard but such nice problems. The orange 6B+ has some wicked movements

God damn tweaked a finger at the climb, trying that damn sand coloured 6B by the stairs.. shoulda just dragged myself over the top and left it alone!

Edited by craigjames