Anyone Rock Climb?

Willy

Fuuuuuu, sounds like you're climbing well now then dude! What've you done on trad recently?

I've barely climbed since September as I went back to uni and got fat. Now a whopping 210lbs and struggling to get up severe's. I started my new job last week though and starting to get back into a routine, so no more takeaways and spending every day in the pub.

Yeah get back in shape muel :P

Ive done 2 E2's so far in Swansea, but theyve been picked to suit my style (Big ass roof, with a short powerful boulder problem over it) But Ive been trying to get established at E1 moreso. Im just setting simple goals for the year and aiming for them, like improve my sport climbing lead by one grade each year and do more E-numbers :P

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah get back in shape muel :P

Ive done 2 E2's so far in Swansea, but theyve been picked to suit my style (Big ass roof, with a short powerful boulder problem over it) But Ive been trying to get established at E1 moreso. Im just setting simple goals for the year and aiming for them, like improve my sport climbing lead by one grade each year and do more E-numbers :P

I'm getting there! Training indoors twice a week and either trad or indoors 1 day at weekends. Down from 210lbs to 206lbs but starting to feel stronger.

Well done on the V8! Indoors I'm struggling at V2... Never bouldered outdoors though so no idea what I'm at.

It varies place to place and the terrain. I find parisellas easier because im stronger in the arms than fingers and core elsewhere so if in doubt I can campus a bit of them. On grit...Id be so shit....:P

• 2 weeks later...

Been training a lot the last couple of weeks, I can now do a couple of V2s down at the wall, but there is still 1 V1 and 2/3 V1/V2s that I can't manage. It's been over 30C in there every night I've been though, so hopefully when it cools down I'll be able to sweat less, get better friction, not have to grip as hard and therefore climb harder. That's the plan anyway. Might help if I lose more weight as well. :P

Down from 212lbs to 201lbs so far. Not a big loss but I feel stronger...

• 7 months later...

Needs a bump. How are people getting on, any new starters?

Climbed my first IV,5 in Scotland last week. Was pretty terrifying to say the least :P Not much else is new for me. Came 3rd in a local bouldering series and my friend now is manager of our local wall.
I've made a new video about my latest trip to the Cairngorms. Features Fiacail ridge I/II with some lovely scenic shots. Had some great weather!

Anyway, wanted to post it somewhere, so I thought here was most appropriate. Hope you enjoy! Do HD for best enjoyment!

Awesome dude! I'm pretty desperate to get out for some winter action but it's not looking promising this year...

I know people who go up to Scotland several times a year but they're all leading at grade 4/5 or so, and I want to be doing far easier stuff than that. I know I'm probably capable of seconding grade 4 but I'd rather start at grade 1 and work my way up. :P

Edited by Muel

I want to start climbing! :(

Then start! Grab some climbing shoes and chalk and get bouldering at your local centre! You'll never look back ;)

Muel imo the easier winter stuff is more enjoyable if you're wanting a mountaineering day out (which I prefer). The climbing is far from scary and difficult on grade I/II ridges. Its really worthwhile when you top out too! particularly in Scotland :)

Then start! Grab some climbing shoes and chalk and get bouldering at your local centre! You'll never look back ;)

Muel imo the easier winter stuff is more enjoyable if you're wanting a mountaineering day out (which I prefer). The climbing is far from scary and difficult on grade I/II ridges. Its really worthwhile when you top out too! particularly in Scotland :)

I dont know of any places close to be honest, nearest city is carlisle ?

It doesn't have to be expensive either.

I've just bought my first pair of shoes. Cotswold outdoors had a pair online for £45 and instore was £55. I'm not the most experienced climber so I won't be able to tell the difference between these and more expensive ones. I could definitely feel the difference between wearing climbing shoes and just trainers, you use your feet more effectively putting less strain on your arms.

Chalk bag and chalk was less than £15