How Do You Grind You Rim Correctly

alexaustin_06

i have tried grinding my rim with a small grinding bit that goes in a drill without very good sucess when i braked it made a lot of noise when braking but didnt do much stopping what is the best way to grind your rim any pics would help (of your rims) please help

i don't know how to tell you to do it , but I have a greate movie , just add me on ym , id killer4all2 , and I'll send you the movie , it isn't too big

just get some coarse emory paper and do it properly, no need for power tools, ull just chop through em

Thats not good advice in the slightest. The majority of people grind their rims with an angle grinder and dont manage to cut straight through them. And the effect emory paper will give isn't deep enough to last an entire ride... so by the end of the day your brake will have gotten progressively worse. So in no way is using emory paper "doing it properly".

how many mechanics so you see cleaning discs and drums with a grinder? unless they are totally f**ked

coarse as hell emory paper will do the job fine, just take your time

all you are trying to do is rough up the surface for better braking, why does this have to involve power tools?

Edited by moto_psycho

just get some coarse emory paper and do it properly, no need for power tools, ull just chop through em

i dont advise this, it will work shit, trust me, ive tried it

Thats not good advice in the slightest. The majority of people grind their rims with an angle grinder and dont manage to cut straight through them. And the effect emory paper will give isn't deep enough to last an entire ride... so by the end of the day your brake will have gotten progressively worse. So in no way is using emory paper "doing it properly".

thats very true, unless your name is nick hobbs and your not concentrating whilst grinding a mavic...

how many mechanics so you see cleaning discs and drums with a grinder? unless they are totally f**ked

all you are trying to do is rough up the surface for better braking, why does this have to involve power tools?

whats gunna give better results, something that very lightly scuffs the surface and you brake pads will flatten in about 5minutes or a deeper, harsher grind that your pads will actually grip to? exactly, get an angle grinder

i dont advise this, it will work shit, trust me, ive tried it

thats very true, unless your name is nick hobbs and your not concentrating whilst grinding a mavic...

whats gunna give better results, something that very lightly scuffs the surface and you brake pads will flatten in about 5minutes or a deeper, harsher grind that your pads will actually grip to? exactly, get an angle grinder

but angle grinders smooth metal out!? i use one to prepare surfaces for welding every other day

I wouldn't recommend "cleaning" a rim with a grinder, and comparing a rear rim and rim brake to disc brakes (which work purely because of a smooth rotor) is yet again, crap advice.

Emory paper doesn't last as long as a grind... which if done correctly can last a couple of months. As opposed to the few hours/couple of days emory paper lasts. The grinder creates an uneven surface and to some extent "moves the metal around". What i mean is if you have an old rim and sit there grinding a part of it every few minutes, eventually there is a buiuld up of metal on the edge of the rim that is firmly attached to the rim... which i can only imagine is still attached due to the brief heat and sudden kinetic energy applied to it by the grinder. The grind will also provide a MUCH better braking surface than emory paper.

In short, grinds are good but will eventually wear your rim away. Emory paper is time consuming, doesnt last long, and the performance increase isn't that great.

People have been grinding rims for years and still do it, hardly something that would be done if it was that bad of an idea.

Quick simplae fact... no they dont :P

ermmm yes they can? i regularly use grinders on the farm, its just the way you use it, holding it flatter (so the disc is close to parallel to the surface you are grinding) will provide a reasonably smooth finish

anyway, a grind is mostly necessary when riding in muddy/wet conditions, the shite can go between the lines and allow for a cleaner braking surface, skank cant move away as easily on a smooth rim (hence some manufacturers making a big groove in the middle of the sidewall), so comparing it to automotive techniques isn't quite the same-drums are closed up and don't tend to get the skank in as easily, and discs get so warm that the water evaporates very quickly/some are drilled/slotted like on mtb discs

also worth considering that there are pads designed to be run with grinds for trials, unlike with cars, so if you go and grind your drum/disc, the pads wont last many minutes! as well as it working tripely... its an accepted technique on trials bike and works very well

ermmm yes they can? i regularly use grinders on the farm, its just the way you use it, holding it flatter (so the disc is close to parallel to the surface you are grinding) will provide a reasonably smooth finish

I personally wouldn't call that smooth though... i get what you mean, i used the same technique for grinding away uneccesary parts of my rear mech, however with me being a fussy b*****d i still didn't think it was smooth so i followed the griding session with a quick run over with the file, then with sandpaper, then couars wet and dry, the light wet and dry.

Think i might just have a too-high expectation before i class something as being smooth :(

Edited by Krisboats

.....why does this have to involve power tools?

Because we are boys with toys!!

Grinding with an angle grinder is the quickest, easiest and most effective way to grind. You can do it before a ride if needs be in like 10 minutes after you get the hang of it.

Just get an angle grinder with a Metal Cutting Disc and kind of whack along the rim with it at a steep angle and you will roughen the hell out of the rim surface, without taking too much off the rim. You can do it well and have a perfect grind when only like 50% of the rim surface is ground, so say for instance; on a new rim with a fresh grind you will see most of the rim is actually unground but theres lots of it with a mega scratched up surface.

Once you get the hang of it, its not hard at all and there is nothing to be scared of, maybe get a friend to show you first, thats what I did because I thought I would competley wreck my rim!\

Pav

Hi, To add to what everyone else has already said I suggest you do the following

1) Get a cheap grinder and a 'metal cutting disc' its not a metal disc, but a disc for cutting metal.

2) Take your wheels off the bike, take the tyres off and put the bare wheels back in your frame

3) Get some gloves and glasses on

4) turn the bike upside down making sure its well balanced

5) Stand over the wheel your going to grind, start the grinder and move it towards the rim, holding the cutting disc at about a 60 degree angle to the braking surface

6) with your other gloved hand, grip the rim and turn it smoothly away from you as you bring the cutting disc against the rim

7) as the disc touches the rim and you are turning it, you will be able to closley monitor the grind that is being left by the disc as you are turning the wheel, if you find yourself getting off center, just lift the disc away and gently start back where you went off course.

8) by using the upturned bike frame to steady the wheels and turning the wheel away from the grinder in a direction that allows you to see the path of the grinder, you can watch the results as they are happening and won't go far wrong.

9) I just use enough pressure to leave a visibly roughed up surface, you dont want to go mad or stay in one spot too long.

Easy,

Duane.