Frozen..

Alexxx

So was out riding for a bit tonight was bloody cold, stopped for a bit to rest. Got back on my bike and the rear brake had frozen solid.

1. Pretty impressed at how quickly it froze, like 10mins

2. It's thored out now, but will any damage have been done to the seals. Due to the water expanding and what not, can't see any leaking but don't want them to go anytime soon either

And yes will be bleeding my brake with some anti-freeze in tomorrow

Alexxx

So was out riding for a bit tonight was bloody cold, stopped for a bit to rest. Got back on my bike and the rear brake had frozen solid.

1. Pretty impressed at how quickly it froze, like 10mins

2. It's thored out now, but will any damage have been done to the seals. Due to the water expanding and what not, can't see any leaking but don't want them to go anytime soon either

And yes will be bleeding my brake with some anti-freeze in tomorrow

Alexxx

Well mine has froze and then thored out about 10 times now and mines fine and i have noticed no difference.

Dan....

Good for you. I love the thousand-times-better feel of water ;)

All it does is move the pads out slightly, because as it freezes the water expands. All you need to do is just fill up a syringe with anti-freeze, then just fire it into your Magura. I ran a mad strong anti-freeze+water solution in my brake since October 2005, and it's been fine. No leaks. I ran water from 2004 or so onward in it too, by the way...

hehe, mine haven't frozen yet, being that they are vees :P

Adam

You see the topic and you can GARANTEE that this is going to happen! thought Ali C would beat you to it though!!!

urrrr shit think im running water..... meh cba to go check!!!! going out now SNOW DAY!!!

I was reading this topic yesterday, thinking how unlucky you's are when your brakes freeze, then i went out at about 9pm and yep my brake froze solid after 5 mins :(

i was abit annouyed but it's kinda funny aswell,

i spent about 30 mins trying to adjust my pads in the freezing cold as they locked on the rim, to then realise that the brake had frozen :$

iv had 3 or 4 lads bikes in with the brakes frozen at work, a couple of them, by the time their parents has got them to us they have started un freezing and they couldnt understand why. which was funny.

they do freeze pretty quick i remember one of mine doing it "back in the day"

Waynio...........................

You can buy mixed water and antifreeze from halfords or somewhere. Ive just bled mine with it and its mega.

Dan.............

Yea i already have some but i take it you have to re-bleed the whole brake with it, and not just add some to it because other wise it would get air in it right?

Edited by powerz

well its been -5 here in scotland and had abslute no bother with a drop of anti freeze in my brake, last year a just ran water and it was frozzen most of the time and when it thawed out is seized and that was the 04 mag shame i liked that one better