Boink

poopipe

this is on my bmx but the principles are the same. basically, if the bike's been sat for a few hours (like while i'm at work) , when i ride off and turn a sharp corner something in the front wheel goes boink.

I've been round the wheel checking for super loose spokes and stuff and there aren't any. i dont think any of the nipples are cacked and everything's structurally sound hub and rim-wise.

anyone got any ideas what might be making the noise, I don't think it's dangerous, it's just irritating

could be you've not lubed up said spoke+it untightening itself, going boing in the process? my old wheel did that (being a n00b i didn't grease them) whenever i put any stress though it it made lots of fun noises (Y) lube ***

unfortunately, wheels builts correctly dont ever go boink! ever.

if it goes boink, it was built to "stand".

im only guessing but i think it was built by a robot in a taiwanese factory (budget emergency wheel)

I will double check it's in the forks properly cos it's been a while and a lot of grinding since i last took a spanner anywhere near the bike

It's because you're running 48h :P

On a serious note, like it has been said i would give the wheel a check to see if it's nice and tight and sat correctly in the forks.

Edited by huck_it

is it fairly new? could just be a spoke popping like when you squeeze them together and it makes a pinging sound

Ash as much as you amuse me and i actualy like you for some reason?

A decent rim and decent spokes and decent hub + decent build doesnt make any sounds or go out of true!

FACT.

:D

do you have a brake cable? how long is it??

calling me a poof?

:P

ash. it could be something like that - it's a bigger noise than i'd expect from spokes rubbing but then again it's only happening when theres a fair amount of pressure on the wheel, it's about 3-4 months old and like i said, it was built by a robot so shonky build is definitely a distinct possiblity.

calling me a poof?

:P

ash. it could be something like that - it's a bigger noise than i'd expect from spokes rubbing but then again it's only happening when theres a fair amount of pressure on the wheel, it's about 3-4 months old and like i said, it was built by a robot so shonky build is definitely a distinct possiblity.

Im on your side!

If it was built by a "robot" just deal with its "shitness" or get it re-built correctly.

so what if it makes a noise?

Does it go crisp shaped?

A decent rim and decent spokes and decent hub + decent build doesnt make any sounds or go out of true!

FACT.

Fact, chris built my wheel. its gone donk a couple of times but only to dent the rim... its still straight though!

Im on your side!

If it was built by a "robot" just deal with its "shitness" or get it re-built correctly.

so what if it makes a noise?

Does it go crisp shaped?

hmm

so the general concensus is to ignore it. that's my kind of maintenance. I think I'll fix my pedal bearings using the same method

FACT.

In fairness, they can still make sounds, after they've worn in a bit. When they wear a slight groove in each other and bed in, if they get old and get slightly looser, when they flex a bit they'll 'pop' into and out of that hole, making that weird noise that only spokes can. By the same token, I've had really well built wheels that I have managed to buckle, it's just the way it goes. You make it as good as possible to begin with, but even if it's an amazingly built wheel it won't change the fact that it'll get old, and it'll start to go slightly awry. My front BMX wheel is starting to have spokes just snap now, but that's 'cos it's over 18months old, and it's been given a load of abuse (and it's only 36h 3x, but even so, it's remained true for the longest time). It's just life :)

Fact, chris built my wheel. its gone donk a couple of times but only to dent the rim... its still straight though!

Haha!

Glad its ok!

Its gone "donk" and dented cause you give it grief! lol

but as a wheel builder , i cant do anyything about that.

Mine go out occasionaly(0nce in the last year),,,,when ive realy fooked them up against a square edge.

Everything has its limits.

Have you recently pumped up your tyre? If running a high pressure 60+ then it will cause the spokes to make noise.

OR

The obvious one (saying that you've checked, yeah), the cones. Even if its sealed cones still need to be done up as the wheel can move upon the axle.

Also is the axle sitting in the dropouts ok?

And grease the headset.

Pretty sure it will be solved now.

Have you recently pumped up your tyre? If running a high pressure 60+ then it will cause the spokes to make noise.

OR

The obvious one (saying that you've checked, yeah), the cones. Even if its sealed cones still need to be done up as the wheel can move upon the axle.

i always run 80+ psi (according to my cheap footpump at least)

however.

i was inspired to check the cones (totally hadn't occured to me) and it seems that although they're done up good and tight the wheel is indeed moving on the axle. if you shove the axle from one side the bearings pop out of the hubshell a bit, doing the cones up tighter isn't helping so I'll go strip it down and try to identify what's causing it. does it sound like it's wankered?

edit (post investigation):

it emerges that the axle is popping out because there's too much space between the bearing cartridges - I can't do the cones up anymore because they butt up against the end of the thread before they squash the bearings into the hub properly. this rather suggests I might have hurt my poor hub :( will I get away with putting a spacer inside of the bearing - im thinking a thin washer

Edited by poopipe