What Made You Start Trials

ryan-oakley

hello mate,

i used to go dirt jumping all the time with a couple of friends but two lads who i new from a while ago was in my home town on there trials bikes. i didn't no what the hell they was at first because i had never seen one before but i stopped and watched them for a while. they wasn't that good at the time but it inspired me to get a trials bike. so i made friends with these lads and just kept on going ou with them untill i saved a bit of money to get a trials bike. one of the lads was on a onza t-pro and the other was on a koxx xtp long. i ended up getting a brand new onza t-pro from tartybikes in august last year, so as you might now know i have been riding just over 6 months. i am a pritty good rider i think to say how long i have been riding, but i am enjoying the world of trials, i think its mint.

cheers lou.

Good question!

I got my first decent bike about a year ago and wanted to get into downhill... I didn't really know what I was doing and a few weeks later I was in hospital with some doctors fingers under my skin feeling for fractures in my skull.

After stapling my head back together I didn't really feel the urge to do downhill anymore and I saw some trials footage on an MBUK DVD and decided to learn.

That is my highly emotional heart wrenching story hope you liked it... I did not.

I think trials has taken off a lot in the past year as almost every time I go out I see people on trials bikes hopping around and that. I never see anyone bad at trials though. And it seems everyone in Newcastle rides 26' when most people on this forum seem to like 20'.

For me it was the trials articles in MBUK and the now defunct Mountain Bike Action (I might have the name wrong, but back then MBUK had a rival!). It was around 1998. I was blown away by the photos and how tos from Martyn Ashton and the Tongue brothers. I was doing regular XC riding and bike commuting every day to Uni, so soon I was out in the road following the tutorials on the basics like track standing. Some friends and I were desperately trying to string together more than 3 out of control back hops on our XC bikes!

I kept practising all the basic moves for the next few years on the same XC bike inbetween riding in the hills around Bath. I think it annoyed my fellow riders a bit as I hopped around on the back wheel unannounced fully clipped in! It was only when I left the Uni for my first job that the new area curbed my XC riding and I bought a more trials orientated bike, although it doesn't seem very trials orientated by todays standard. Rather it was a Dual Slalom bike with long chain stays and BB drop, but the all important stand over height was there.

Only started trying pedal hops and sidehops once I had the new bike and progress was slow! 5 years on and although I've improved since then I still have so much unfulfilled potential, so when I get some time again then there's plenty of riding for me left to be had :lol:

Steve

Hi

I used to ride dirt jump etc; but then i just fancied a change and someone was selling a mission £30. I thought ahhh well so i bought it, sold my dirt jump bike and got a t-comp. I put the money toward it and my parents put the rest up.

Good topic. :)

Rick.

Well I used to Race BMX, then a few years later i got bored of it then Got in to freeride where i then learnt loads of stuff, but i want to get more out of it, so I started trials to get more skills for freeride, but I loved trials to much and left the freeride scene, but I just got a new freeride bike(Norco shore 6) again last week for the first time in over 2years!

But Trials is where its at!!!

Johny

I used to work for the Lampkins in Silsden (big motorbike trials family), couldn't afford a motorbike so took up cyclos instead. I took all my inspiration from the likes of Ot Pi, Ceasar Canas, The two Martins and the Tongue brothers. I remember sharing a Monty with my mate and spending a whole day (dawn till dusk so nearly 12 hours) learning to get up stuff using the bash plate. I eventually got my own monty then moved up to 26". I started riding 10 years ago now ( makes me sound old I know) but have had a break for the last 5. Just getting back into it and am amazed by how much the sport has progressed. It's awesome.

I had too many adrenalin fuelled accidents on my motorbikes and decided I needed to get my kicks somewhere safer...Then I started working with an trials rider who showed me the ropes. Two years on and I think its miles better than sports bikes, the cops just don’t give a damn if your on one wheel or none at all, but who would have thought trials is more expensive! Thanks Tim