Dissertation For The Nation

plainlazy84

Three weeks today and my 10,000 word dissertation has to be handed in :sick: Needless to say I had the last laugh the next few weeks are going to be pretty busy! Are there many other final year students on the forum in the same situation? when's your deadline and how are you getting on? I'm already up to 6,000 words some how but I've gone a bit overboard and I've got loads more to cover :S

more importantly what are your plans once you've handed it in! 4.00pm deadline. So 4.05pm and I'll be getting the drinks in. Cant wait.

What exactley is thes core with these, is it something everyone has to do? or is it for a Hons. degree?

What's your's on?

Quite glad that I havn't got that to deal with but it's getting to that part of the year again where everything starts to get a bit rushed....

EDIT: once I finish my project (drop in the ocean compared to what you have to do) Im going to spend my last summer over here on the water hopefully sailing and ripping about on our new RIB before getting ready to move over to dundee at the end of the summer!!!! can't wait!

Edited by jake1516

I never really took much notice of the difference in types of degrees (BA, BS, hons etc etc :S) as I always knew what I wanted to do so never looked at anything else- so can't give you a descent answer I'm afraid. But I'm doing Business Management with Marketing though and as far as I'm aware any similar degees have some kind of final year project that involves a hench piece of work with lots of writing.

the aim of my dissertation is "To what extent do Lager brands need to adapt their Marketing Communications techniques and strategy in response to changing consumption and demographic patterns." :cheers:

dont have a title yet though.

And Ads thats absolutely nuts doing it in 48 hours :S I'd have some kind of nervous breakdown by the second day lol. What drugs were you taking to keep you going that long!

I never really took much notice of the difference in types of degrees (BA, BS, hons etc etc :S) as I always knew what I wanted to do so never looked at anything else- so can't give you a descent answer I'm afraid. But I'm doing Business Management with Marketing though and as far as I'm aware any similar degees have some kind of final year project that involves a hench piece of work with lots of writing.

the aim of my dissertation is "To what extent do Lager brands need to adapt their Marketing Communications techniques and strategy in response to changing consumption and demographic patterns." :cheers:

dont have a title yet though.

And Ads thats absolutely nuts doing it in 48 hours :S I'd have some kind of nervous breakdown by the second day lol. What drugs were you taking to keep you going that long!

dude thats a f**king nice question as in pretty easy to answer my friends got some f**king retarded question about cheese lol!

Aghhh i have 1 more year till i have to do mine, i was supposed to do it this year but got moved on to the masters. Ours is absalutely insane for civil engineering we start off with literature review (16 pages nice n easy), then a thesis (10,000 words) then the actual project and write up which is.... 35,000 words ...what in dear f**ks name am i supposed to do to reach that. I know a Phd one is 65,000... but still.. 35,000 takes the piss.

The title of my project that i would be doing now was: "The study of motorway rainwater run off, its contaminants and effluents readings based on seasonal change".... ... im very happy i get a 2nd chance to pick one now :-p

Edited by Spacemunkee

Would that have been set as a compulsory question then or could you have chosen your own? I take it the 35,000 words is for your masters dissertation? surely no one could write 35,000 words on motorway rainwater run off! One of my lecturers did his PHD thesis on industrial bolts. He's a fun guy :lol:

they put up a big list of like basic areas you can choose from and i chose urban water management thinking it would be more interesting than "reinforced concrete beams"... i was mistaken. they then give you a title if you cant think of anything you want to do. Yea the 35k one is masters.. wooopty

Edited by Spacemunkee

35,000 shouldn't be tooo bad really. I mananged to write 23,000 words on a FAQ system :blink: and did around 10,000 lines of code for mine. Most of the writeup was done in the last 2 or 3 days/nights.

A mix of pro plus, red bull and boost chocolate bars with added guarana (or something) did the trick for keeping me up - though after re-reading the stuff I had wrote after some sleep I realised most of it was usually absolute bollocks.

Eitherway good luck with it, stressful time of year!

My dissertation in my batchelor year (mechanical engineering) was 75k words, and the group project report in the masters year totaled at 400pages!!!

I spent forever writing both, there's no way I could do that much in such a short space of time.

My dissertation in my batchelor year (mechanical engineering) was 75k words, and the group project report in the masters year totaled at 400pages!!!

I spent forever writing both, there's no way I could do that much in such a short space of time.

im with you on this, im currently deep in a group coursework (3 of us) that is worth 3 modules. We are designing an aircraft fire station for RAF waddington in lincoln its one of those sponsored project things and f**k me they expect a lot of work to be done. We did f**k all for our design ideas (46 pages of work) and everyone else did well over 100 and we got a B-.. not bad at all.. but i fear the final hand in is going to be a different story.. as its 80% of the project :(

anyone have any idea what a thesis is?

• 3 weeks later...

I just came across this thread when searching for 'students'. Compared to what my fiancée is doing, I thought I had it hard, final year project-wise. She's doing BA TV & Radio, she's got to make a 10 minute film for 40 credits, no report or anything. I find that strange since that's exactly the same task as she had last year, only for a 10 credit 2nd year module...

Anyhow, I'm working on mine now - a 15,000-20,000 word report on the program that I've written (which was by far more work). I am developing (it's not finished) a program that monitors internet latency and identifies congestion hotspots with traceroutes, it's not that big a program to be honest; it's just that I'm a poor programmer - I'm using VB 2005.

It's interesting to see a few other computer scientists here, I assumed we were a lazy antisocial sort who sat on our arses all day every day.

How the f**k can you write that much over a subject that really isn't that extensive?

I honestly don't understand the point in setting such a ridiculous word limit when in actual fact you write half, the rest is just making shit up to get to the word limit.

I doubt i could explain my main project at work in 30k words, let alone the 75k, and thats a 6 month project which is silly complicated. :S

Glad i sacked education in. :blink:

I did mine last term on renewable energy, as meant could just chat b*llocks! Better than having to understand some hard topic. On a placement this term, which is worth half the year, had the presentation today just got the report to finish which will be around 5000words minimum so not massively long. Doing the placement means NO EXAMS!!

A lot of my course (civil engineering) has been group work, we had the fourth year project in third year and that was a group of 11 civil, chemical and materials engineers designing a sewage works (oh the joy!!). Absolute pain, far harder having to work in a big group than doing your own thing!

Would love another year of being a student though!

How the f**k can you write that much over a subject that really isn't that extensive?

I honestly don't understand the point in setting such a ridiculous word limit when in actual fact you write half, the rest is just making shit up to get to the word limit.

I doubt i could explain my main project at work in 30k words, let alone the 75k, and thats a 6 month project which is silly complicated. :S

Glad i sacked education in. :blink:

Its actually not very difficult, just time consuming. 20,000 words on a php FAQ system (with some nifty bits) wasn't too difficult once it was broken down into sections - you'd be surprised.

edit: infact it was meant to be 15,000 words.. but I didn't just carry on for the sake of it, it was all stuff that was relevant.

For future reference, does a 30k+ essay follow the conventional intro/results/conclusions type formula, or is it broken down into a series of 'mini' essays which each have the 3-step forumula but are linked together by the topic in hand?

Luckily for me, i have 2 years before i need to do this!

4,000 word "dissertation" for HND 3D Design (2nd year) and I believe the BA Degree (next year) is 10,000.

Ive written mine in a day, Did all my research this morning and started working & continueing research from 11am until about 6pm, Went for a quick ride - Back around 9 and just finnished now. Only 15 pages and its a pretty easy subject as I understand what im writing about for once and its mostly opinions that just need some justification.

For the architecture guy who posted earlier, My paper is based around the architectural styles of Zaha Hadid and weather she should be considered modernist or deconstructivist. :)

Job done, 2 cans of redbull left... Highest bidder?

For future reference, does a 30k+ essay follow the conventional intro/results/conclusions type formula, or is it broken down into a series of 'mini' essays which each have the 3-step forumula but are linked together by the topic in hand?

Luckily for me, i have 2 years before i need to do this!

Um, mine was a bit different I guess, it was more of a report than an essay.

I guess with a proper essay you'd have the equivalent of chapters in it each explaining different bits (mini essays? each covering a different angle/subject?), along with an intro/abstract and a conclusion type end. Thats a guess though.. wouldn't worry about it, its surprising how much work you can do 24 hours before the deadline (even though you've been awake 2 days already).

Feel sorry for everyone who has to do them this year, good luck all I don't envy you!