Hope Pro2 Trials Skipping

coolbeen

Hi there is about four months know of having my hope pro2 rear, it was fine the other day and i went out on it today and now every time i pedal it skips really bad. I am not taking it apart by the way because i don't wont to brake it. I have emailed hope about it and was just thinking what you guys think is up with it or what.

Thanks shaun

Pro2's don't usally skip. Is it the Trial version?

They normally just slip once then your shell has a big crack down it.

Check the chain line is nice and straight. Because that may cause your chain to slip.

Matt Rushton

Ok mate i will have a look at it and see if that helps

If your not prepared to take it apart theres not anything todo. you may as well send it back to hope and get them to fix it. It might be full of shit or maybe one of the springs has broken or somethin.

Without taking it apart theres nothing you can do really, its pretty hard to damage it taking it apart and you got to learn someday, the only tricky bit is re-seating the seal and that just requires brute force

pull the free hub off, wipe out the ratchet, take the pawls and springs out ( clips if it is the trial version) clean everything, pop it all back together and ride again.

if the problem persists it could be the ratchet slipping inside the hub, which is a job for hope to fix.

mines ben fine, and im pretty sure ive snapped a pawl or spring or something, as i can hear it when i rattle the wheel and it grinds a little bitwhen my cranks get into a certain position

er...... you may want to sort that out before you do further damage.

Just an idea...

While on the subject of hope hubs skipping, has anybody had any experience with a hope mono skipping?

Cheers, Joe

yeah haha, today mine went BANG! , took it apart and it was all fine?

could need a new set of springs and pawls or something. also a good clean now and then doesn't hurt.

yeah haha, today mine went BANG! , took it apart and it was all fine?

could need a new set of springs and pawls or something. also a good clean now and then doesn't hurt.

Yeah, but its a hope replacement, i've had it about 2 weeks and i took it apart and rebuilt it twice! :(

Cheers. Joe

Make it louder, make it wear out quicker, possibly increase chances of snapped springs as they could dislodge easier.

Or mean the pawls return quicker and they will seat fully in the rachet as there wont be any grease in the way. It will be less likely for dirt to gather around the pawls. You just leave a tiny smear of grease where the springs and pawls are seated so they dont seize. If you have ever taken the hub apart you'd realise that the pawls and springs wouldnt dislodge easily anyway, and how it would make the springs snap i dont know? however i would like to hear your theory.

Oh and i ran a mono for 3 years with the grease taken out and funily enough i never snapped a spring, have one dislodge, or have it seize and it hardly slipped

Yeah, it's fine to run hubs with very little or no grease in the free-hub. Our LBS mechanic has been running hopes more than 10 years with no grease in them through muddy and wet XC rides and he's never had a problem. Just means checking them and maybe putting some light lube in there every now and then. I run my ACS on just a squirt of WD40 about once every 2 months and its never skipped on me.

If your mono trials is skipping then there's probably a dead spring in there. They don't seem very tough. I think they should have stuck with the coil springs like in the XC's and bulbs. The only advantage to the leaf springs I can think of is that they don't fly out when you take it apart, but neither do the coil springs in the Sun Ringle on my freeride bike, they just sit in deeper wholes than the hopes. Anyone who's ridden my freeride bike, or followed it down a trail can vouch for how ridiculously nice that hub sounds. haha.

Or mean the pawls return quicker and they will seat fully in the rachet as there wont be any grease in the way. It will be less likely for dirt to gather around the pawls. You just leave a tiny smear of grease where the springs and pawls are seated so they dont seize. If you have ever taken the hub apart you'd realise that the pawls and springs wouldnt dislodge easily anyway, and how it would make the springs snap i dont know? however i would like to hear your theory.

Oh and i ran a mono for 3 years with the grease taken out and funily enough i never snapped a spring, have one dislodge, or have it seize and it hardly slipped

Yeah me too!!!