Car Insurance And Passpluss...

Mr Plod

Right. Passed my driving test first attempt on Wednesday (Y). So looking to get a car. Just generally browsing at the moment to see what there is and I would like to get a proper job before I go buying.

Anyways... I got a quote on a 1996 5 door corsa 1.2, Third Party and it came out £1700+ a year. So I then got a quote on a 5 door Polo 1.0 1997, Third Party, and again it came out £1700+ !!! So my first question is: Why if there is .2l difference am I getting the same price on quotes when surely the polo should be a tad cheaper what with it being .2l less than the corsa?

My next question is... PassPlus. Anyone done it? How much does it roughly cut the cost of your insurance by?

And finally... Getting put under my parents insurance. How does that work?

Cheers for your help guys... and gals :)

Passplus varies. For mine, it was half-price (aka £70) because my council subsidised it. Your's might too, but you'd need to check.

With regards to reducing insurance, it'd be about 30-50%, usually?

The reason the quote's similar for the 1.2 compared to the 1.0 is probably just because they'd still be in the same insurance group?

Firstly, I'm suspicious how much insurance groups actually matter (anything less than 5 really) at a young age, but that's just my consipiracy theory. Get onto http://parkers.co.uk/insurance for a complete list of cars and their groups.

I believe the car matters very little (as long as it's nothing more powerful than a group 5 car), why your premium is so high is because

1. You're young

2. You're male

3. You're young and male.

The value of the car also has very little impact on the quote and whether it's third party or not also has little impact or not. What the insurance companies are worried about is the nightmare situation where some dude has just past his test, he's bombing it around like he's Hamiliton in his 1.4, looses control, hits a pedestrian, and his mates in the back haven't got their seatbelts on and everyone sues. The insurance company face millions in loss.

That's another reason why you should ensure you are fully covered (and not a main driver on a named driver policy).

Cheers guys. So how would I go about getting a passplus course? I've looked on the website but it doesn't really give any contact details or how to go about applying for the course...

Also. Would a diesel be cheaper on the insurance?

It is a HUGE amount to do with where you live.

Example: your 3rd party fire & theft on a 1.0 car was £1700 in London after just passing. My 3rd party fire & theft on a 1.8 Volvo 440xi was £1250 in the Lake District just after passing. One of my friends in Manchester had the same problem, £2100 on a 1.1 fiesta.

Edited by Anjow

It is a HUGE amount to do with where you live.

Example: your 3rd party fire & theft on a 1.0 car was £1700 in London after just passing. My 3rd party fire & theft on a 1.8i was £1250 in the Lake District just after passing.

Yeah I know living in East London isn't helping my cause. I remember my friend getting insured on a Golf... because he lived in East London, it was either ridiculously expensive or they wouldn't insure him at all... So he claimed he lived in 'Yarmouth' and got it cheaper.... (Y)

lol, claiming to live in yarmouth made it cheaper? its one of the sketchiest places round where i live :P

Yeah seriously. I don't know how but it did. He did it to his Uncles address lol. Was funny when we got pulled over by Essex police and they asked what he was doing living in London when the car insurance address was Yarmouth! His reply was "It's none of your business" lol.

Firstly, I'm suspicious how much insurance groups actually matter (anything less than 5 really) at a young age,

your pretty much right, thats how i found it, around my area, male and 17, anything up to a group 6, and youll be paying £1200-£1300. no matter wether its group 1, or group 6, and worth £50 or £5000. it was you where that risk, and would cost that much. was only above group 6 that the prices started to change.

i have just brought a 1.4 corsa 3 door for my first car and i went on my dads insurance with direct line so that i can still build up my no claims and it was £570 i dred to think what it was if i went on my own.

His reply was "It's none of your business" lol.

Yeah, good way to impress a Police officer who's just pulled you over...

Registering and insuring a car at an address that is not yours is not a good idea, and I think can constitute a fine-able offence. Unfortunately telling a Police officer in polite terms to 'nob off' won't help.

Regarding diesels being cheaper, again I think it just depends on the insurance group, which I'm guessing is worked out using the power output of the car.

Regarding diesels being cheaper, again I think it just depends on the insurance group, which I'm guessing is worked out using the power output of the car.

I don't think it's just the insurance group that matters - it's all based on statistics and that's why a 1.0 polo or whatever will be very expensive. Lots of young people drive them and get in accidents, regardless of their power.

That's another factor that made my insurance so cheap in my first year of driving - whilst my car is a 1.8i it is a car that no young people would drive.

Edit: great choice of comedian there, snappel.

Edited by Anjow

Yeah, good way to impress a Police officer who's just pulled you over...

Registering and insuring a car at an address that is not yours is not a good idea, and I think can constitute a fine-able offence. Unfortunately telling a Police officer in polite terms to 'nob off' won't help.

Yeah I know. Ahh well upto him really. Anymore info about going under parents insurance?

Going on your parents insurance will be much cheaper. The problem with it though is you don't build up no claims (unless it's one of those fancy ones where you do). The way my parents saw it is that it's best for them to pay for my comprehensive insurance whilst I'm still financially dependent on them, so that when it comes time for me to pay for it I have got no claims bonus and it is cheaper.

Ok lemme see if I've got this straight... My dads with Gladiator. If I wanted to go under his insurance, We'd sign up to say Direct line... He's the policy holder but I'll be put as the main driver?

Can I also point out, that with most insurers, the more times you submit an online quote the higher the premiums go up

For example a 1.6 saxo would have cost me £1900 on my own name (vtr, which is fair enough) then I did a 1990 nissan bloody micra 1.0l and got a quote for £2500.

Passplus does help, the only thing is some insurers treat less than 1 year of driving, the same as 1 year of driving. In other words, a year afer you passed your test, the only reason your premiums will drop is because of your AGE and not NCB or years of crash free experiance