Petition To Ban Speed Cameras

Joe Sheehan!

Not being funny, but your profilw says you're 16, so why does this worry you? And even if you were older, if you didn't speed you also wouldn't be affected.

I dont think they should be banned, but they should definitely be backed up by more traffic cops.

Not being funny, but your profilw says you're 16, so why does this worry you? And even if you were older, if you didn't speed you also wouldn't be affected.

I dont think they should be banned, but they should definitely be backed up by more traffic cops.

Motorbike soon (50cc) and also its not for me, its for everyone, probably 60% of this forum who drive and hate speed cameras

Edited by sheehan

I think they should put the money to more effective ways of traffic control.

Everyone slows down for the white lines then speeds back up again, you can pretty much always see them/know were they are anyway and people who are going too fast to slow down one they've seen them deserve to be caught/should buy a Valentine1.

I read somewhere those chevrons that keep space between you and the car infront were voted the most effective.

even though i've been caught out by one and its bloody annoying, i still don't want them banned, they are there for a bloody good reason and as inconvenient as the speed limits can be, id rather not have the inconvenience of losing more people i know and love

also, hows the speed limit gonna bother you on a ped, if you care about being covered on insurance you wouldn't make it go faster than what its legally allowed to do

EDIT: since getting caught, i've grown up a bit, im taking it far more easy and sticking to all the speed limits..bonus being i wont have to change my tyres so regularly and my tank doesnt empty so quickly

Edited by pauloliver

Motorbike soon (50cc) and also its not for me, its for everyone, probably 60% of this forum who drive and hate speed cameras

Don't get me wrong, i enjoy a bit of 'spirited' driving, but any car enthusiast will agree with me that they're not so bad. Theres a time and a place for driving like a loon, and if theres a speed camera down a piece of road, you can sure as hell take a good guess that that's not the place.

It's only people who don't pay attention and get caught out that are bitter about it. IMO the more people driving around with 11 points on their licence the better, it'll slow them all down a helluva lot.

Then you have no need to worry about speed camera,I joked I want a motorbikecycle !!!!! *cries*

Back on topic,I can't ever see speed cameras being banned they generate too much revenue and to be honest I'd rather have my estate littered with speed cameras rather than the bumps we have.

Much love <3

Speed humps are a much more consistent way of traffic calming, they're just not always suitable.

May i also add, that i can gaurantee you'll change your opinion on speeding traffic when you have your inevitable close encounters on your hairdryer.

Guys, speed cameras are such a good idea!

Here in Russia if you are doing 100 mph in a city and get caught by police you can bribe them and that's it.

The bribe is like 10-20 quid.

If you do 60 mph - the bribe is approx 6 quid.

If you cross lines on any street and start driving on the wrong lane due to the traffic and get caught = 10 quid bribe.

You can bribe any cop

At first it sounds like freedom.

But look...

Every year 35000 (yes, 35 thousand) people die in the car accidents.

That is twice as more as in the whole Europe. Though there are more cars and 10 times more roads in Europe.

Every day when I drive I witness up to 5-6 road accidents. Yesterday I saw a guy lying on the road dead...his shoes were a few feet away from him...his scull was cracked and I could see blood and brains...He tried to cross a massive road...though there was an underground pedestrian crossing. A Mercedes Bens S500 trying to avoid the accident...but failed. The dead guy's friends tried to beat the driver up...he was so frighthened...then his sequrity came up....blah-blah...

Do you need all that?

Do you know why this all happens here? Everybody knows "the rules are for idiots". Nobody crosses roads on the right place. Every driver here is speeding...and if one goes too fast he would never stop at red light...

Russia is closer to the US if we talk about cars. Petrol here is so cheap. All the cars have 2-7 liter engines.

My one has 2.4. My mum's - 3.5l. I have friends who drive 5.0l and 6.3l cars. They are so powerfull and fast.

They all know if they get pulled up, they can bribe. This is too bad.

I used to drive in Europe a bit. It is sooooooo relaxing, so correct. I drove one thousand miles in Switzerland this January...I still don't know the sound of the car's horn I drove there. I never needed it. Here I have to use it every f*cking minute...there are no rules here.

If you want to race - go to Russia or drive on a track.

If you ban cameras in the UK - you may compare the death rate in one year. It is sure to extend. And it could be your sister or your dad...

Stay legal, stay in order.

I am so fed up with road mess and rage here.

A few vids. Driving in Russia.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xC9B6qA_S04&amp...ted&search=

Speeding needs drastically re-thought in the UK, although I don't think banning speed cameras is the answer.

May I ask why you want to ban speed cameras? And what sort are you against?

I'm all for both permanent and manned cameras, as long as they are manned by police, and on stretches of road where speed related accidents occur. IMO there are too many 'Scamera' partnerships wihch are to satisfy KPI's and the bean counters.

There is also a culture in the UK of just accepting a fixed penalty notice and the points/fine that go with it. The prospect of going to court for a criminal offence (The UK is the only country in Europe where speeding is a criminal offence) is quite daunting. I believe the police rely too heavily on this and there are a significant number of cases where procedures and guidelines have been ignored.

I spent 15 months and around £1000 fighting my speeding case and I won.

This Article is definatly worth a read - the decision on this case is due to be announced at the end of this month.

Jon

Guys, speed cameras are such a good idea!

Here in Russia if you are doing 100 mph in a city and get caught by police you can bribe them and that's it.

The bribe is like 10-20 quid.

If you do 60 mph - the bribe is approx 6 quid.

If you cross lines on any street and start driving on the wrong lane due to the traffic and get caught = 10 quid bribe.

You can bribe any cop

At first it sounds like freedom.

But look...

Every year 35000 (yes, 35 thousand) people die in the car accidents.

That is twice as more as in the whole Europe. Though there are more cars and 10 times more roads in Europe.

Every day when I drive I witness up to 5-6 road accidents. Yesterday I saw a guy lying on the road dead...his shoes were a few feet away from him...his scull was cracked and I could see blood and brains...He tried to cross a massive road...though there was an underground pedestrian crossing. A Mercedes Bens S500 trying to avoid the accident...but failed. The dead guy's friends tried to beat the driver up...he was so frighthened...then his sequrity came up....blah-blah...

Do you need all that?

Do you know why this all happens here? Everybody knows "the rules are for idiots". Nobody crosses roads on the right place. Every driver here is speeding...and if one goes too fast he would never stop at red light...

Russia is closer to the US if we talk about cars. Petrol here is so cheap. All the cars have 2-7 liter engines.

My one has 2.4. My mum's - 3.5l. I have friends who drive 5.0l and 6.3l cars. They are so powerfull and fast.

They all know if they get pulled up, they can bribe. This is too bad.

I used to drive in Europe a bit. It is sooooooo relaxing, so correct. I drove one thousand miles in Switzerland this January...I still don't know the sound of the car's horn I drove there. I never needed it. Here I have to use it every f*cking minute...there are no rules here.

If you want to race - go to Russia or drive on a track.

If you ban cameras in the UK - you may compare the death rate in one year. It is sure to extend. And it could be your sister or your dad...

Stay legal, stay in order.

I am so fed up with road mess and rage here.

A few vids. Driving in Russia.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xC9B6qA_S04&amp...ted&search=

Haha sounds familiar.

Driving through Russia was sooooooo annoying. Police stops in and out of every town - madness!

Drove past a police man waving his stick at us but we didn't notice so we drove straight past (nothing happened), so the guys behind us decided to have a go at not stopping for the next one. Didn't work, we got stopped (driving behind them) and had to endure 20 minutes of a fat russian guy shouting stuff we didn't understand at us. Got out of a $100 bribe/fine by acting dumb until he got so pissed off he just told us to (what we thought was) f*ck off. Then the car wouldn't start but thats another story.

As for speed camera's - keep em, they're there for a reason.

A petition will do nothing, they won't ever go. They generate far too much income and they help uphold the law.

I'm sorry but it is VERY black and white - if you hate speed cameras and they piss you off it's because you want to drive at speeds that you shouldn't be driving at.

You want to do 70 in a 45? f**kING TUFF LUCK

I have no time for people who want things like this gotten rid of. It's like signing a petition to say that GBH shouldn't carry a mandatory prison sentence.

tomturd...wow. You travelled across Russia?

Was it a Mongol Rally? I met those guys last year. They started their trip in London Hyde Park and a few finished...in Ulan-Baator, Mongolia.

$100 was a lot of money :) If you were russians, you would do with $50.

That's all corrupt. :(

tomturd...wow. You travelled across Russia?

Was it a Mongol Rally? I met those guys last year. They started their trip in London Hyde Park and a few finished...in Ulan-Baator, Mongolia.

$100 was a lot of money :) If you were russians, you would do with $50.

That's all corrupt. :(

Yeah mongol rally last year. Met a car full of people around our age driving along side us looking very happy and saying stuff in russian at us, but the chances of that being you is very, very slim haha. So corrupt in Russia its a bit mental, good if you've got the money to get yourself out of trouble though :P

Speed humps are a much more consistent way of traffic calming, they're just not always suitable.

May i also add, that i can gaurantee you'll change your opinion on speeding traffic when you have your inevitable close encounters on your hairdryer.

Believe me they aren't,people still thrash up and down my road in chavved up cars (some twats swerve onto the pavements at high speed to avoid the bumps.Pricks.

But thats down to the driver though. Pound for pound, theyre much more effective at slowing traffic down providing theyre suitable for the area theyre being placed. I work for a planning/civils company and roads designed to calm traffic to specified speeds (albeit in mainly resi areas where i work) are much more consistant at reducing speeds as opposed to a long straight bit of road with a gatso halfway down it.

wow tomturd!

I so much love the idea of the Mongol Rally!

The same thing...I was just driving my car when I saw 3 funny cars with the UK number plates and stickers all round.

I started shouting: "Hello UK! How are you!!" and stuff like that :) I was really happy to meet english people in my area :)

They stopped, introduced to each other. They needed a hotel...so I told them to follow me...showed them the cheapest proper hotel in the town (the rest are tooo expensive).

They stayed in Moscow for a few days. We had a few drinks and went clubbing :) They were really nice.

There were extra 2 girls in one of the cars...The girls apeared to have broken their car and needed to sort it out.

So we drove 250 miles in the middle of nowhere to find out that the car wouldn't be able to go, because the engine had a crack...oil was dripping out of it.

I helped them to sort this out...which was a bit illegal but worked :)

The team was called The Specials...pink Suzuki 4x4..Maybe you met them...

Anyways...if you have any friends, anyone who is taking part in the rally this year - you can give them my cell: +79859220152.

If they have ANY problems in Russia they may feel free to call me 24/7. I can sort out anything as long as I speak Russian and have bribing skills :)

I tried contacting the organizers, but no reply :)

Btw, have you written a report or anything after the rally? It would be interesting to read.

And yes..did you manage to reach Ulan-Baator? :)