Help, Im Worried My Boss Has Shafted Me Up The Arse

streetmad

Right, iv been working for a plumber for a couple weeks now and we got some insurance sorted out for me to drive the van last week. I was there when he was on the phone to the insurance company but wasn’t paying an extreme amount of attention to it. Its been about a week now and i hadn’t seen or received any confirmation about the insurance.

Today me and my boss were pulled (Me driving) for a spot check inside the van for any stolen goods. We sat in the back of the police car while we gave them our details and they asked for the vehicles documents and my licence. Of course i didn’t have them on me because i haven’t actually got anything yet. My boss assured me he has the documents at home but on the way back he never said a word and looked worried. Then when we got there he said he'd sort them out for tomorrow so i could take them to the police station.

I’m f**king shitting myself now, what would happen if he’s been telling me a pack of lies and doesn’t have the vans MOT or insurance? I know now its my responsibility to check the documents before i actually drive and im the one who’s going to get it in the neck.

Anyone know the consequences? Will i loose my licence? I’m 18 and have only been driving since February of this year and have just recently bought myself a car(which is insured lol).

I'm terrified hes proper f**ked me about!

Although ignorance is never an excuse, I'd insist that you were told you were insured. I don't know who's responsibility it is in this case. If your employer has confirmed that you are covered by their policy and then you do a job and aren't covered, then that's not really on. But as you say, he could argue you didn't check them yourself.

If tomorrow he doesn't have the documents, take your licence to the Police and explain calmly, and without omitting anything important, exactly what happened.

Stay calm, you haven't done anything wrong, just explain it all to them exactly how it happened and don't leave anything out. But when they are interviewing you, try not to look overly worried. Don't give them any reason to suspect you of anything and you should be fine, remember the police are human beings too they are just hiding behind a badge.

Serious case in the UK.

20 quid bribe in Russia.

It's become a rule for me now. Never let anyone deal with your papers. If you do, then check everything. Hope you will be all right mate.

My friend lost his passport once in Moscow and declared it as lost at a police station. Later he found out that someone had registered a few fraud companies using his docs...dodgy

Aw man thats so crap. I feel for you. As its been said above, you do sound innocent to any other human being, but in the eyes of the law you (may) have committed a crime. To be honest, it could all be nothing at all. He COULD have the documents at home and everything will be fine? I wouldn't worry too much over it just in case this is the case. Maybe your boss had a punch up with his brother or something, and shat himself on the way back when he realised his brothers a copper? could be anything

But if you have been un-insured... sorry bud, tell them the truth but i still think they might rape you a little

don't wory mate. Explain the situation IF you need to...

It might be fine anyway, so don't worry yourself until you actually have to. Then just explain whats happened. that's all ou can do innit.

I've had a producer in the past before and had no MOT and nothing has happened. Talk to the police and say whats happened and that's all that can be done at this stage. It might not even come to it.

similar thing happened to me and i got 6 points for no insurance, as it was in the first 2 years of me driving i had licence taken off me and had to retake the whole thing

steve

does the similarity end at you having no insurance?

Or does it extend to driving a work van etc, where you thought you were insured.

work van , basically the same thing. boss hadnt been paying the insurance premium for a long time as it turns out

police said that it was my responsability to ensure all the relevant paperwork was in place before driving any veichle, boss also got shafted as there were 6 un insured vans driving about, that he owned.

I promptly left the company when all this came out

steve

In many cases, if you have your own policy, and your driving someone else's vehicle with their permission, you should be covered third party?

Mostly if you're over 21 or 25, and it has to be stated on your certificate of motor insurance.

And wether its the company insurance or not, the insurance covers the driver, so if the driver isnt covered then that's that.

Bit of advise from a few friends in the Health and Safety field...

If he was driving it with the Owner's consent the most he could cop for is a driving with no Insurance (points & fine). I assume they took the other Blokes details so he can't claim TWOC?

However if he has his own Vehicle insured fully Comp he MIGHT be covered for 3rd party only (not as common these days as Insurance Companies are phasing this loophole out).

Tricky one this so I'll tell you what our Company has in place.

All persons who might be required to drive a Company Vehicle (hired or owned) have to produce their Licence every 6 months for checking (looking for points, bans etc), upon suitablity they are added to a list of "authorised persons" & are automatically covered under the Company Insurance.

-----------------

If he has his own car/van insurance he will be covered third party to drive any other vehicle and can produce his documents and certificate to verify the clauses his particular policy.

If he hasn't, I'm sure it is down to him as the driver to ensure that tax, MOT, and insurance are in place before driving off.

If that is the case he needs to speak to the attending officer.

The owner has aided and abetted so the officer maybe able to pass the buck back to where it belong (if an insurance problem does exist)

------------------

I think the penalty points for driving uninsured are between 6-9 (might be wrong but it's about that) so it will depend if your friend already has points on his license. He might be able to argue that he had been told that the owner had arranged insurance for him but that would be down to the court. The owner would be prosecuted as well for allowing an uninsured person to drive. Is he an employee of the van owner because that might make a difference. A legal expert would be able to give a more informed opinion.

If you get any hassle from this, visit the Citizens Advice Bureau or ring ACAS on 08457 47 47 47.

Edited by anzo