My Project Comp Frame

Canardweb

Hello, I was searching for a new frame that I would like. It had to have a high BB, long wheelbase, and it had to be solid, rigid, and not designed for competitions. I have been across the Kortz 2, which is damn too light and damn too expensive. The slate 2 but the BB is too low and it is not designed for street riding.

Basically I wanted a frame with good geo but that I would be able to ride without being worried to break it. Weight was really not important.

So, I sent an order to Marino to see if he could do a frame for me. He said he could and that he would receive Cr-Mo (cromoly tubes) that would be single, double or triple butted. Cr-Mo is lighter and more solid than Hi-ten which is what he used originally.

So here is what I asked for:

marino10.png

The geo is quite compstyle and I think it will suit me very well. The main advantage of this frame is that if it breaks I will be able to weld it very easily, and it is cheap too.

You can see I asked for a hole in the headtube (because i think it looks cool), additional welding between top and diagonal tubes and between seatstays and chainstays. This is to add extra stifness to the frame.

Marino sent me these plans:

100_1911.jpg

100_1910.jpg

100_1912.jpg

After calculating quadratic moment near the BB with tube length and width, I decided to remove a gusset that would have fragilised the frame with the welding penetration.

modif10.jpg

The day after he sent me this photo which seemed quite promising:

100_1913.jpg

Then he started cutting the tubes and adding them together:

100_1914.jpg

100_1915.jpg

The most recent photos I have are these ones where all the tubes are added together.

100_1916.jpg

100_1917.jpg

100_1918.jpg

All it needs now is welding, adding gussets, and painting in black with white writing on it! I will let you know as soon as I get additional pictures with welding done and other stages.

Thanks for reading.

In the first place I would like to thank Marino Alegre Del Aguila for the excellent work and fast communication. I would like to thank Kevin Liu for his designing advices as well as Adam Philips. I would like to thank Lengyel Adrian for convincing me about the geo. I would like to thank the Tarty guys for giving me advices when I was looking for a frame. I would also like to thank Morgan Lavaux for his advices about the general aspects of the frame.

Edited by Canardweb

How much did it cost?

It costs 250 dollars shipping excluded. Visit his site: http://www.marinobike.com

Ashes, gussets are reinforcements (metal plate) that will help supporting the frame assembly. It help dividing by b*h^3 the quadratic moments on a section. This will permit that the frame is less being forced on. It makes it more solid basically.

Ok dudes, here is a small update from when I got back from work. He has finished basic welding (tubes to tubes).

Here are some pics.

100_2010.jpg

100_2011.jpg

100_2012.jpg

100_2013.jpg

100_2014.jpg

The weight right now is more near 2,1 kilos. All it needs is some welding between top and down tubes and between chain and seat stays. It allso needs some gussets near the headtube (down and top tube) and near the BB (chainstays). The only real design that's missing apart from the extra welding is the triple seat tube design. It will help overall rigidity and most of all the BB solidity. It is supposed to delete every degree of liberty in the structure because it uses all the compensations on the frame, and it deletes every potential plastic domains on the X, Y and Z axis. I am sure that frame will be rideable, now, will it be nice?

Then it will be painted (sorry Ben...) and sent to me!