My Project Comp Frame

Canardweb

Nice frame. Hope you will like it. Only thing I don't like is its weight. Beside that I love the simple look of it. Have fun with it dude!

Yeah it is pretty heavy but I think it will be nice. I just love the idea of having it in my garage soon! Thanks very much!

Ok time for an update!

So he has finished welding the gussets on the top and down tube:

100_2016.jpg

And he has welded the Brake mounts. They look original and long, so If I ever have to use helicoil there will be loads of room for it!

100_2017.jpg

Next imporant thing is now done. I am speaking of the triple seat tube. I asked him to do it at the last moment so it doesn't precharge the welding on these tubes too much. I think it looks very well done, and it is just the way I wanted it to look.

100_2018.jpg

Now the BB area is being finished. There is a small gusset between both chainstays near the BB so it will help stiffen the rear triangle near the Bb area (that is already rigideified by the triple seat tubes). But then we have some connectors between both sides of the rear triangle. There are just two gussets missing.

100_2019.jpg

100_2020.jpg

So next thing is welding gussets in the BB area, painting, and then shipping. I paid for the frame this morning and it went smooth with XOOM.com

My bank just contacted me to know if it was normal to have money being sent to Peru lolzzzzzz.

Thanks for your attention!

Yeah and it would ride like a spring yeah!

Very bad idea. If I wanted a titanium weak frame, I would have contacted triton dude!

Hey, how many broken Triton frames have you seen? Sure fewer then I did. I didn't see many.

How many Triton frames did you ride to say they ride like a spring?

WTF?

Compared to an aluminium frame titanium is relatively springy (helps more with preload I dare say ;)) but far stonger, infact to the best of my knowledge, chromoly (which after all is just a low carbon grade mild steel) is alot weaker than the titanium used in triton frames (perhaps gazza can indicate some typical yield strength values for the 0T4 ti alloy). Steel is also springier than aluminium (although not so much as ti) which is why people always rave about the comfortable ride of steel framed bikes :)

For a sub 1.6 kg frame I have absolutely no worries about the strength of my frame, if it cracks I can just get it welded up again like steel :D

Edited by forteh

Compared to an aluminium frame titanium is relatively springy (helps more with preload I dare say ;)) but far stonger, infact to the best of my knowledge, chromoly (which after all is just a low carbon grade mild steel) is alot weaker than the titanium used in triton frames (perhaps gazza can indicate some typical yield strength values for the 0T4 ti alloy). Steel is also springier than aluminium (although not so much as ti) which is why people always rave about the comfortable ride of steel framed bikes :)

For a sub 1.6 kg frame I have absolutely no worries about the strength of my frame, if it cracks I can just get it welded up again like steel :D

Not many people can weld titanium...

I wasn't saying weak in a way that it would break Gazza, it is just too springy and it won't be nice to ride because of that so I wouldn't want one.

And yes I think Steel will be the perfect compromise between alu and Titanium concerning elasticity. Except that it is weaker than both material... We'll see, for the price it can be pretty everything!

Hey, how many broken Triton frames have you seen? Sure fewer then I did. I didn't see many.

How many Triton frames did you ride to say they ride like a spring?

WTF?

I never rode a triton, but I know that titanium is more elastic than steel or alu. I have never heard of any triton frame breaking.

Once again, I meant weak to say it wwas uncomfortable to ride...

Je crois que je dois envoyer un Triton en France for free testing :)

Because that's just funny. You have never tried the thing but you compare it to other products.

Yes, Ti is different to Alu. But hey, I can make same frame either more or less flexy by just choosing different tubing and stays design. For XC frames we use 18mm tubes (chainstays and seatstays). For trials frames we usually pick 22mm tubing (1mm walls). Trials stays are shorter (average trials CS are 375mm for a 26" bike and the XC CS's are 425), etc etc.

The seat tube angle on the trials frame can also vary the frame feeling. And the way stays are connect to the top tube. Everything counts. I can press two ends of an XC frame together with a hand. I can't move them much on a trials frame.

I have gone through many frame designs and listen to the feedback from each customer. Nobody ever disliked Triton for its springy feel. They usually dislike the price :) But that's what titanium has always been...

I have gone through many frame designs and listen to the feedback from each customer. Nobody ever disliked Triton for its springy feel. They usually dislike the price :) But that's what titanium has always been...

Everyone who has a go on my deema (an '06, I believe quite a bit lighter and flexier than some of the newer ones) loves how flicky and bouncy it is :)

I had a go on max-t's zoo piranha last weekend and its so stiff it feels like a solid dead lump of wood, I really couldnt ride it after the triton! My only wish for my frame would be to perhaps stiffen the rear end up alittle to reduce the occasional brake rub when pedalling hard, not a major problem though :)

Oh and I only paid £300 for my frame and it was pratically brand new ^_^

Average 26" CS for trials is 375? Is that just for the frames you make, because ive not seen many other trials frames with a back end as short as that, even on 24" trials bike frames?

BT raven 5.0 and echo hifi are 2 off the top of me head :) I would agree that the average these days is closer to 380 though.

My only wish for my frame would be to perhaps stiffen the rear end up alittle to reduce the occasional brake rub when pedalling hard, not a major problem though :)

Spoke tension good in your back wheel? If your spokes are a bit loose that can lead to that happening...

Spoke tension good in your back wheel? If your spokes are a bit loose that can lead to that happening...

Cant get them much tighter without destroying the nipples, that is unless the spokes are a touch long and the threads are bottomed out. Theyre tarty spec length though so should be right :)

Its just quite flexy, in a good way though :D

Fair doo's. I wasnt too into those frames anyway so probably chose to ignore any specs about them. lol (Y)

Simon, did you pay for speedy postage?

Yes I did!

Marino made an error, I wanted him to put stickers saying "panther" on the frame, but here is what he has done:

100_2010.jpg

Epic fail!

Just something to think about....

Your gusset between the top and bottom tube is not a good idea. It is a high stress area and I have seen 2 frames ( one of them was a marino) 1st had that have had a similar tube joint and both of them cracked within a season of riding. I have shown the typical crack location in red. A better gusset is to have a plate on both sides of the frame in the head tube area similar to the old Koxx Levelboss frame.

Your bike looks nice and I hope you keep it for more than 2 months. I love Marino frames (owner of 2) and it is so nice to see Cro-mo being used.

post-8116-005443700 1283543737_thumb.jpg

Edited by toyota200x