Under Colour Of Night

Steve-A

A bike trials video, made by me, featuring Matt Burrows and Tim Stedman. Filmed over a few autumn evenings in Worcester and Malvern. The video hopes to capture both the contrasts of tranquility and action and of darkness and glorious colour, that you find riding at night.

At the end of the day it was cold and damp when we were filming, so the ridings not quite upto the usual standard for these guys, but I think the video feel makes up for it. It was all about the feel.For that reason, if you can, play it full screen with the music up to a fair volume (the track does start very quietly and get louder).

I appreciate that it wont suit all tastes, but it was just a little experiment. ^_^

http://www.vimeo.com/2237172 < VIMEO link

I really enjoyed watching that. It was definitely a nice change from the norm and the editing was really nice. Only criticism (trying to be constructive) was a slight shakiness in some of the canera-work. If it was all filmed with a tripod it would look mega professional.

Definitely a good job though. I think everything went really well.

I really enjoyed watching that. It was definitely a nice change from the norm and the editing was really nice. Only criticism (trying to be constructive) was a slight shakiness in some of the canera-work. If it was all filmed with a tripod it would look mega professional.

Definitely a good job though. I think everything went really well.

I disagree, i think the shakiness made it better? Not sure why, just... did?

Loved the video though. I don't usually watch trials videos now as they're all pretty much the same, but that was completely fresh!

Good work!

Steve I hate you, I'm stuck at uni in Chester with no bike and a dislocated hip from rugby and your last two vids with worcester and the guys has made me so horny for trials haha. Vid was Fantastic I'm adamant to ride when I'm back at christmas now. Keep it up and I'll hopefuly see you lot when I'm back:) x

I was really excited after Matt had been telling me about this. Its a really cool idea, i didnt expect to see it done so quickly. Really impressed with the editing and filming! But don't leave it at that, its a good idea, so develop it a bit more and have this as a bit of a taster. It would be really cool to see it in HD with some more moves. I love the bits on that one rock on the hillside, you got that spot on! Like the bit with the swan as well! but dont stop there, look for a few new places, maybe watch that footage of ryan leech (can't remember the video title, but its in his video history on manifesto) where its all done at night, you can see his breath hanging in the air. its the bit where he's riding in a children's playground, some awesome bunny hops in there.

Andrew

I'm glad people are enjoying the video.

I finished the video where it is becasue I personlly felt the singular concept of basically limited vision and pretty colours wouldn't hold up for any longer before it began to feel a bit boring. I've not seen the ryan leech vid you mention Walker, but I'll have a scan for it. As for better quality, the problem is getting enough light to do anything with. Each shot takes a fair bit of setting up to get the lights right, and even then my little sony was really stuggling. Any quality I got out of the camera was pretty much destroyed by the amount of post colour work I had to do to make it look nice.

There is the possibility of a follow up night vid, but not for a while yet.

Jonny I used car head lights, Matt's super expensive posh light of his XC bike, a camera monuted camera and a selection of gels. Rough cut in FCP then into after effects to work on the colours.

Wobbly camera wise, I shot off a tripod what I felt I could, but I wanted to try and put a sence of speed back inro the video throug hthe camera work as the music would be slow and at the end of the day trials moves quite fast sometimes. This obviously didn't quite work aswell as I'd hopped, but its all a learning curve.

Finally, as you say Inur, the idea was to see only climpses of the riding. Prety much all the riding, save maybe the last move on the stairs, is VERY mediorce for what Tim and Matt can do.

Jonny I used car head lights, Matt's super expensive posh light of his XC bike, a camera monuted camera and a selection of gels. Rough cut in FCP then into after effects to work on the colours.

Wobbly camera wise, I shot off a tripod what I felt I could, but I wanted to try and put a sence of speed back inro the video throug hthe camera work as the music would be slow and at the end of the day trials moves quite fast sometimes. This obviously didn't quite work aswell as I'd hopped, but its all a learning curve.

Good stuff mate! Great use of those lights! I thought the comment somebody made about using a tripod to make it look more pro was funny, in general tripods suck and I've no idea where that view of professionalism came from - look at the Bourne films for example!!! They're only good for timelapse stuff, News GV's and shots seen on daytime TV shows haha! Looks like your job is going well Steve, keep it up!:D