Moped Help

MAX (M.A.D)

Sorry its not trials related guys but, i will be 16 next month and am looking to get a moped. I have seeni few that i like but am not sure weather to get a 2 or a 4 stroke. I no that 2 strokes have better acceleration and are lighter but will the speed be the same when it gets going.

Just need a bit of help please. ( Advantages and disadvantages.)

Hope you can help me, Max (Y)

Four stroke for no other reason than 2 strokes have been made illegal for sale new in the EU and they stink of unburned petrol, because that's a significant portion of the content of their exhaust gas. Even moto trials bikes where lightness and power are essential are available in 4 stroke and hold their own with the two stroke bikes.

Also be warned that mopeds/scooters are a really really effective way to get yourself killed - but presumably you ride trials so you, more than the vast majority of people who buy those things, are far more aware of the risks. If you haven't spent a lot of time cycling in traffic get yourself an hour or two of motorbike lessons - the lessons cover a few simple things that aren't immediately obvious, but will save your life.

just a cheap 2 stroke?! cheap, easy to run (youre restricted to 30mph at 16 reguardless)...and you can get rid of it and get a decent 125 at 17 (or whatever the age is)

no chance youd want to keep a 50 after a 125 anyway, so why get a fancy one!

then after that you can get a real bike ;)

Also be warned that mopeds/scooters are a really really effective way to get yourself killed.

Wow, who pissed on your cornflakes?

I reckon a 49cc stroker is the way to go. It's about the only thing you'll be allowed to insure anyway.

They're real easy to rebuild when they do go pop, though that's really only liable to happen if you don't put oil in it.

A 60mph scooterbike is only an extra £250 or so. And an afternoon tinkering with it to get it running right.

If you're going to use go-faster parts on it at some stage, be sure to get a water cooled bike.

And most important, they're just like a fat bird... Great fun for a quick ride but you wouldn't admit it to your mates!

I'm on big bikes the last 6 or 7 years and I still use a 70cc scooterbike for going to work.

There is a reason ambulance and emergency room staff call motorcyclists organ donors. They're usually an excellent source of healthy organs for transplant (Because they tend to be young men) but are still 100% dead by the time they get to the hospital or often by the time an ambulance gets there. Don't think that being limited to 30 mph doesn't mean you'll be any less dead if you hit something at that speed (Hitting something in a car at 30mph isn't guaranteed not to be fatal either) - the main thing to do is get lessons from an experienced motorcyclist, especially in terms of reading the road and what's going on around you and knowing where the blind spots for different motor vehicles are. While having a car pulling out in front of you for example is completely the car driver's fault, the injury you suffer as a result of a car/truck's mistake will be much more than the consequences the driver of that vehicle sees.

Also be warned that mopeds/scooters are a really really effective way to get yourself killed

But that goes with anything in life, anything will have a risk to it, especially if you don't treat it with consideration.

Should be in the motorbike thread, but 2 stroke is your way to go.

Everything is converting over to 4 stroke because of the old emissions malarkus, so while you can get yourself a 2 stroke which will be capable of a decent speed of 50mph or so.

Understandably, the law states that the moped must not exceed a speed of 31mph for a 16 year old, but restricted mopeds are ridiculously dangerous, its the reason why I condone on 4 strokes as they don't move anywhere! Some car drivers can be incredibly stupid and will do just about anything to overtake a moped, even if you are travelling at the correct speed limit.

Used wisely, mopeds are one of the easiest and cheapest modes of transport about. Just make sure its a 2 stroke.

Well you do if it's premix, loads use oil pumps instead...

My bike runs on premix, it's really not hard to stick it in there and shake the bike about to mix it up. :P

Tobias' mum said a similar thing to me once....

She only rode it once? Must have been a bad surprise or she would have returned for more...