Hooks

JJ Leigh

Prepare to be at it for ages. Hooks on decent sized vertical walls are haaard.

But alos, go as fast as you can, on an inspired it may be easier to bunnyhop into it rather than pedal into it which will allow more speed. Keep your weight over the front.

• Like 1

don't jump too high up the wall. I aim to have my front wheel just clearing the lip with all my weight forwards. If you bunnyhop it and do that, then your momentum will be upwards and forwards, if you land too far on the wall your momentum will start to come back down and it will be a lot harder.

Also, try not to use your brakes if possible.

Comp riders will have a different technique with a pedal stroke and brakes locked but if you're on an inspired the above way keeps better flow and speed.

• Like 1

Comp riders will have a different technique with a pedal stroke and brakes locked but if you're on an inspired the above way keeps better flow and speed.

Now you've mentioned that, could you (or whoever) explain that? Is that when they're able to go straight to rear? Does the rear wheel get the traction from the vertical edge?

thanks everyone ill take it on board! :) so basically hook straight onto the wall then instantly transfer the power into an "up and forward" motion? think i understand it :)

You won't be learning anything new for at least two moths pal

not bothered haha :P

I'd say from memory (not done a pedal type hook for about 5 years now) that the backwheel isn't doing much in the way of grip, it's more hitting the wall and kinda rebounding off it while you quickly use the the flex from the forks with the front brake locked to generate a more upwards momentum ()as well as your body moving up) while you pivot on the front wheel and then swap to rear.

I'm hopeless at explaining but hopefully that makes a bit of sense

• Like 2

I'd say from memory (not done a pedal type hook for about 5 years now) that the backwheel isn't doing much in the way of grip, it's more hitting the wall and kinda rebounding off it while you quickly use the the flex from the forks with the front brake locked to generate a more upwards momentum ()as well as your body moving up) while you pivot on the front wheel and then swap to rear.

I'm hopeless at explaining but hopefully that makes a bit of sense

makes perfect sense to me, thanks! :)

this is an example of trying to get your weight as far forward as possible, because I did that, the second part of the hook was no effort. Thats the mindset needed for hooks.....you really need to commit!

57 seconds:

I proper miss seeing footage of you riding like that

post-36107-0-65195000-1414008942_thumb.j

I'll be doing hooks on this thing...

one last question that might not matter... obviously because its a "smaller" inspired even though i suit it perfectly, (compared to a fourplay or arcade) would that make it any easier or harder? other than that i think ive got the idea of it now.

thanks again everyone for the help, means a lot! :)

Edited by JJ Leigh

i always try to imange im rolling my shoulder over the handle bars, to keep momentum...but dont pull the rear brake as this kills the move...Front brake is comci/comsa for my part, not sure whats proper(both seems to work...) good luck...keep us updated on progres.

• Like 1