Marino Moth XL 2016

LEON

Cheers! I've got the Stan big torx ones from Tarty. I want them on the front too, but I'd need a custom axle, which I don't want unless it's black! All my M6 bolts are rainbow ti, I've only snapped one on the rear brake adapter, but I do those up stupidly tight.

Edited by LEON

Cheers! Yeah I wanted it small again like the last one, as long as the seat goes right down I don't see any point going higher.

Ross, I'm not a filter fan, but my budget camera is blind to bright colours, same problem with my motorbike, so I was forced into it.

• Like 1

Cable tie??? This ain't a runaround! I'm waiting for my adhesive hose guide to turn up....

Geo is the same as my blue one, 999 364 +15 75, but it's got the updated bits yours has, shorter dropouts, tapered fork and headtube, where the headtube is 30mm longer it's a bit hard to measure reach as it doesn't really add up to the same as a standard headset frame. My headtube and headest combo is 7mm taller than my old combo, and I took out 5mm of spacers to get the same feel. It's also got the 400mm forks, and the geo is all adjusted for that. I always preferred the feel of shorter old school forks and don't really see the need to have loads of space above the front tyre.

I don't know, I don't love having the same rims as everyone else, but they do look good! They're the new Spike race 33s, I didn't really wanna spend all that on two rims, but I can't believe how light they are.

• Like 2

Yeah, when I first picked one up from our batch to get some photos I was amazed how light they are.  Got the Spikes and thinking of going to those (mainly 'cos I'm kind of over the shiny-shiny-ness of my bike), just to see what it's like dropping that much weight from my wheelset.

Pretty much yeah, I've got a few Spank rims but my bike ain't the lightest so I wanted to save some weight, plus as you say, the whole silver shine is getting a bit old now. I'm not really willing to sacrifice on cranks though so rims were next on the list, it's insane what they weigh, that's less than your average skinny Mavic xc rim! For anyone who's coming from Atomlabs or DMR rims then the weight difference must be over half a kilo for the pair. Do you know a true weight on Spike 35s? I've read a few but they're all different. Gotta be 550 - 600g.

Not 100% sure to be fair, seem to remember it was around 560-570g though. 

Cap got himself a set of SLXs for his Fourplay a week ago, and after feeling how ridiculously light they are I'm kind of thinking of switching up my crankset too.  Think his whole crank/BB/bash/chainring setup was a few hundred g's lighter than my crankset alone, without bash so not a bad chunk of weight to save.  In fairness my bike is "riding light" at the moment (it feels spot on, doesn't feel like it's holding me back as such), but it'd be interesting to see what a lighter bike was really like.

• Like 1

Well it's a pretty impressive weight saving, I was on the fence with Subrosa Evos being only 30mm wide, I'm glad I waited.

I did have SLX cranks about 2 years ago but I just didn't trust them, I'm quite heavy and that's one area I don't want to scrimp. After seeing a few pics of snapped sets I realised how thin the material is, for some reason I was under the impression they were solid.... :unsure:

11848892_930154360425528_1913487988_n.jpg

12724619_1856557941237766_1900326067_n.jpg

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1