Hub  

228 members have voted

1. 1. which rear hub do you use

• Chris King
    • Hope xc
    • hope pro trials
    • Front freewheel (fixed rear hub)
    • other

Now riding with a king on my bike I wonder how I ever rode with am xc, they are so sloppy and it feels like there isnt' anything there. Yeah the pro II hubs are better but they don't have that feel of a king, I have seen pro II hubs skip aswell. I'd be happy to ride with either, but given the choice if the hubs were given to me i'd have a king no question. It's only that the hub was on the bike when I bought it, if not I would have probly got the pro II because of the price, failing that a 2nd hand king. People need to stop following fashion, kings are not shit hubs just because there is a trials specific hub from hope, same goes for people saying the hopes are shit, they aren't, it has to be the best ratchet+pawl hub around.

The Hopes haven't been out long enough to really know if they're strong enough. Once they've proved themselves over a year or two then I'd say they're better value than Kings. Quite a few people have had troubles though. Any rachet-based hub that skips at all is bad news really, every time they skip they lose a bit of metal, which is why I'm not expecting amazing life-spans from the new Hopes.

My experience with Kings has been very good though, so perhaps I'm biased. Whenever mine (King) has skipped (which is rare) it's only been one engagement - I.e. you hear it but it makes no real difference to where your pedals are.

Pro2 are great, have used them now for 6/7months and havent had any problems AND if you dont like it take the spacer out of the back of it and lock it out and use front freewheel im "trying" front freewheel and so far its pretty mint, the only problem i have had is the freewheel slipping a bit. but it hasnt really stopped me trying things, i just let the hub/freewheel run its course.

but no one should knock front freewheel till they have tried it :P its weird but quite wonderful. just dont get caught up in it, its not good :( haha. as some of the lads from saturday nights street ride in fort william will have seen, i got a bit tangled up.

Waynio...................

I use a King, had it a while not had any problems with slipping just that hd axles last me around 12 months(damn im fat) but at the moment i love the hub and it works great (Y). however it now seems that the pro2 will take over now though as they are cheaper have good engagement and have a stong axle (aparently stronger than the king hd) but time will tell (also as im sure u know the warrenty from hope is 2nd to none).