Hub  

228 members have voted

1. 1. which rear hub do you use

• Chris King
    • Hope xc
    • hope pro trials
    • Front freewheel (fixed rear hub)
    • other

I finally managed to have a play around on a pro 2t on monday at the YMSA and i must say i was pretty damn impressed. You barely notice any difference in number of EP's when compared to my king. If i was buying a hub now i'd more than likely get a Pro 2t due to their lower cost and more simplistic design.

You barely notice any difference in number of EP's when compared to my king. If i was buying a hub now i'd more than likely get a Pro 2t due to their lower cost and more simplistic design.

ditto, if you've got the money then why dont u just buy a king! if you want to spend circa (approx) £300 on a hub, do it. course they work well its only when u become a retard and start messing with stuff you dont understand that they start to screw up.

but lets face it £130 for a hub that you WONT (unless ur so bloody good and know ur stuff) notice any difference in EP makes sense.

with the change left over after buying hope instead of king you could buy a new frame!!!!!!!!

for gods sake i run a 24 ep pro2 it works fine, 48ep would be nice (and i did notice the difference when i changed from XC to pro2t then to pro2).

me thinks some people are just too bothered about how their bike looks, what components they have on it and if its colour coordinated, than goin out and riding the sodding thing.

someone should watch evolve to see what hubs leech is using in that!

Everyone bases the expensive price on rrp. To be honest, who ever pays that price?

Even better than aspire prices are the second hand ones, for £150 you can pick up a king wheel. The hub will last forever.

hmmmmmm. yet again i am becoming unsure. although still looking at second hand chris kings

honestly it seems that you can't go wrong with either

my king was bedded in correctly and is awesome, i have never had it fully dismantled in the time i have had it (4 years ish) and i just take the freehub body off and wipe the both sets of splines with a clean rag and then wack a tiny amount of king lube on it and its doesn't slip. The only ones i have seen problems on are ones with people that have messed about with them a lot or ridden without bedding them in.

But i have tried other hubs (on other peoples bikes)- the new hope seems pretty good, feels great and i guess time with tell how it lasts. The hope xc is still good hub for trials.

also tried an acs rearfreewheel and eno rear freewheel and that felt good too. the acs on the rear lasted ages too.

there are enough good hub options out there to cover every budget that will work well and last ages, especially if looked after.

he put em in all spack handed, the hub still didnt skip even with chunks of bearing in the driveshell, cant say a king would work in that situation.

fair play iv had enough of this topic, thers so many dicks who can barely ride trials talking about stuff they dont under stand, for god sake. and matt chris king didnt design the hub for trials, not saying im great on a trials bike by the way but i do ok

what more can you want from hub, rear king is lighter than a rear record road hub yet you can use it for trials,downhill,xc the lot and it takes it all.

and king probly have a better warranty than hope now they have changed there policy, the only reason it takes about 3 weeks is cus its gotta go all the way to the states.

soon ll have the same hub on my trials bike xc bike and road bike and there the best hub for all 3 types of bikes.

ditto, if you've got the money then why dont u just buy a king! if you want to spend circa (approx) £300 on a hub, do it. course they work well its only when u become a retard and start messing with stuff you dont understand that they start to screw up.

but lets face it £130 for a hub that you WONT (unless ur so bloody good and know ur stuff) notice any difference in EP makes sense.

with the change left over after buying hope instead of king you could buy a new frame!!!!!!!!

for gods sake i run a 24 ep pro2 it works fine, 48ep would be nice (and i did notice the difference when i changed from XC to pro2t then to pro2).

me thinks some people are just too bothered about how their bike looks, what components they have on it and if its colour coordinated, than goin out and riding the sodding thing.

someone should watch evolve to see what hubs leech is using in that!

Gotta disagree with the bit in bold there. Not strictly speaking true, is it? Never mind though ;)

Oh, and you made a slight contradiction there by saying you wouldn't notice the different between 48 and 72, when you yourself said you DID notice the difference between 24 and 48? 48-24=24, 72-48=24 again? I know it wouldn't be the same difference, but you'd be lying even more if you said you wouldn't notice it. (Oh, if you run 20:17, you'd effectively have 82ep compared to 56 on a Pro2T)

I'm not anti-Hope or anything, Mat's seems pretty good, but it being British wouldn't make me want to get it. You could put a lot more British parts on your bike than people do, so using patriotism as a reason for getting one is a load of dick, "IMO".

fair play iv had enough of this topic, thers so many dicks who can barely ride trials talking about stuff they dont under stand

i hope you wernt refering to me dave my love :- .

to be fair i know exactley how a chris king works.

in my defence the bit in bold was a slight exaggeration but its about true (onza t-rex at tarty is £199+£130 (hub) = £329 and from CRC a king iso (NB AT RRP) with disc mount is £333.50 :P )

yeah but mark if u think about it 24 to 48 is double to ep; 48 to 72 is only a third more.

but im not goin to bother about that.

I'd say matt has given a strong and all together sensible argument there, I would definatly have a pro2t but if my funding allowed it I woukld prefere a king. All my reasoning has been posted in the previouses pages by others and i dont wanna bore everyone by repeating it all again.

what is your job role ?

hope use the same stamdard of cnc lathes to machine the bodys of the hubs as king, you should know your self that most decent compaines use the same machines.

and as for the materials both compaines use high grade materials so id say that the prodution and workman ship which goes in to both are pretty high, but its just the the king design and drive system is so far ahead of hope thats where they part

and king bearings are secound to none.

the drive rings are matched using a microscope as well dont think hope do that

and as for saying hope are better because riders like stan shaw use hope that doenst make it better, as im sure stan could use both no problems same as pretty much most top riders

infact i know a fair few riders who say they could never go back to a hope

im not saying hope are crap cus iv rode the new trials hubs and from what i sawt they felt nice and i could use one given time to get used to it, but imo id still keep my king

by the way im a toolmaker for ina bearings, if you look you will find some in hope hubs

my job role, hard to explain, im multi-skilled for rolls royce aerospace barnoldswick site,

i can do pretty much any job as the title say, but currently toolmaking like yourselve,

think you may have misunderstood what i was saying in my post by the sounds of the reply, but oh well im not arguing.

as for the machines the standard hope use are a lot better quality and up to date than the ones we have at rolls, most of our machines date back to lates 60's and 70's, unbelievable but true...

hope are using the latest machines, i beleieve there hubs are good quality and thats my oppinion nothing more,

everyone likes different

as for the bearings, all the new hubs from hope should have fully stainless bearings from now..

ash

i just want to say thanks for all of the great replies in this topic. it has really helped me to decide which hub i want.

i really cant wait to build up my chris king now and i hope i am as happy as a lot of you guys obviously are with the quality of the hub.

so thanks very much. yous have been a great help.

Dave

KING KING KING,i know dave and he's learning FAST.ive told him loads to get one an finally he has listened.

PRAISE THE LORD.

but on a serious note,i love my king.ive tried lx hubs,bulbs and xc's.every one let me down on too many occasions.ive tried the new hope one and it is solid as but ive lost my faith in most of hopes products.im not saying theyre crap,they just dont suit my riding style.

GO DAVE ON THE KING......now hurry up and get you ass sorted for addingham on wednesday!!!

thumbs up (Y)