The Xbox 360 Problem Thread

ZHI-sam

WTF he has made a thread about helping out people with 360's. Its not like hes charging anyone is it?.

I think its a good thread :P.

Yes, but weve already got an xbox live thread, which would probably suffice for sticking in xbox problems too.

And the bit about charging people, hes been plugging his site,(which basically repairs and chips xbox's) constantly for the last few days.

didnt realise u wasnt alowed, you have a bit for websites sooo.

i just thought it would be easier to make a tread for problems, close it if you want

edit: Advertising your personal site is encouraged, do this in the 'Web Site Updates' forum.

its my site, and im not selling products am i? its a repair service

Edited by ZHI-sam

ive also got one, if i install a game to my harddisk why does it ask me to put the game in to run it?

So it prove that the disk is in there. It uses the disk to boot and then stops spinning. But if you open the tray then it takes to back to the main menu. This stops people just saving each others games to their hard-drives and running them., the fact you need the disk to boot stops this.

I have a question,

why does my 360 takes ages to shut down sometimes? The light turns off but the disc is still spinning.

its called disk jitter, some drives do that and others dont.

ive also got one, if i install a game to my harddisk why does it ask me to put the game in to run it?

what it does is checks for specific stealth files on the disk to prove you own the game, once its scanned these you can take the disk out. if they didnt include this, then you would be able to rent a game for 3 quid and play it from t he hdd free basicly

youve got a samsung drive mate (eject your drive, bet it looks like this)

xbox360hackingli1.jpg

its a very common problem with sammy drives, u can fix it but you need to take your console apart and your dvd drive. its not hard to do realy. ill find a tutorial on it and edit :)

edit: theres a way to do it without opening the console.....

It is the fact that the drive belt is loose and dirty and slipping on the drive pullies. This is an easy fix not requiring you to open and void the warranty of the XBOX360.

The drive belt for the open / close mechanism is right behind the front of the drive face so once you open the drive, you can easily access the belt (size of a 50c piece when removed) for cleaning or replacement.

HERE'S HOW:

You will need:

- tweezers

- long thin screwdriver (or something similar like a toothpick) in the other hand. Such as one of those optical / camera screwdrivers.

- isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol)

- a cotton bud or three

- torch & someone to hold it

TO START:

Open the disk tray for the Xbox360 then pull the power cord and all the other connections so the disk tray stays open. Remove the front face plate to the entire XBOX - as shown here: support.microsoft.com/kb/907331).

TO CLEAN:

Put some isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud and give the belt and particularly the pullies a clean. You can spin the pullies and belt back and forth by simply pulling the tray in and out a bit. Just be careful not to catch bits of the cotton bud between the belt and the pullies.

As soon as I did this, problem solved.

However, I did also see that my drive belt was a little loose, so slipping it off and replacing it should solve the problem long term.

TO REPLACE THE BELT:

Have a fiend hold a torch while you have a pair of tweezers in one hand and the long thin screwdriver or toothpick.

Hold the belt with the tweezers so that when you lever the belt off one of the drive pullies, the tweezers stop the thing flicking deep inside the XBOX.

After removing it, take it along to an audio/video supplier to match the part and get a replacement.

Replacing the belt is a simple action of pulling it over the larger pully and then, using the small screwdriver, dragging it over the smaller one.

Edited by ZHI-sam

samsung drives are always loud, it comes with wear. ill see if i can find what it is that makes it loud. i would think its the gears and laser movinbg a lot inside.

as for fans, talismoon whisper fans (not whisper max) ebay them :)

Edited by ZHI-sam

I have one, i got the 3 red lights of death months ago, towel trick didn't work, yet sometimes it works perfectly, then goes back to giving me the 3 red lights crap, is there anything at all i can do?

Gamestation and microsoft wont touch it cos i bought it way too long ago. Any help would be appreciated

Charlie

I have one, i got the 3 red lights of death months ago, towel trick didn't work, yet sometimes it works perfectly, then goes back to giving me the 3 red lights crap, is there anything at all i can do?

Gamestation and microsoft wont touch it cos i bought it way too long ago. Any help would be appreciated

Charlie

well now you did the towel trick, it may not be 100% perminantly fixable but try this: link

as for microsoft, whats the mfr date on the back of the console? should be by have port

u just plug it in and it should work. yea you need a membership but its only a code so you can buy one from anywhere in the world and use it. xbox live gold is whats its called. they are region free, microsoft points are locked to regions though just so you know