My Heavy Tools Trials Rebuild

isitafox

Finally took some pics of my bike if you could call it that?!

Currently running an old (bout 7-8 years) Heavy Tools Trials frame, FSA headset (whatever was popular back then), unbranded forks, Specialized stem (off my dead Rockhopper), Azonic World Force risers and a new Magura on the back.

Due for delivery next week is my Echo TR hub and rim wheel builds and Tensile offset maggy mounts so the back wheel will fit!

I'm deffo gonna be a fashion victim with this build aswell but pics of her with the wheels on will reveal that!

Will hopefully get it weighed at some point, probably when the wheels come to see how heavy its getting for all the weight weenies to laugh at!

Opinions welcomed

post-24247-1264108004_thumb.jpg

post-24247-1264108027_thumb.jpg

post-24247-1264108039_thumb.jpg

Edited by isitafox

you have not thought this through have you ? tensile mounts are for a 4 bolt frame and that frame uses a 2 bolt v post so its not gonna work .

i like that your trying to do and i hope you get it to a nice spec because but that brake aint gonna work .

Don't you worry bout that, she'll work like a dream, besides its the only thing I can do as had already bought the rear magura an couldn't afford to change for a rear disc.

Just one of the problems of rebuilding an old frame but anything can be overcome. If people are making headtube extensions and pulling it off sorting the mounts will be a piece of piss!

they gave me a new one for free every time ( i even had a gold-glitter one, one of three if i remember correct) - but hey this bike is nothing but awesome in terms of bunnyhopping and riding with a little speed through the city - dont forget to put gears on it! :)

edit: i even had the same bars!

Edited by wimmeretz

Weren't they the exact same as DDG Shooter frames, just rebranded and more expensive? I'm sure I remember comparing two friends and coming to that conclusion.

I really miss those days of trials, it was more fun without everything being handed on a plate to you frame and component wise.

im also building up an old skool zebdi as my main bike

dunno what im gonna do if it ever snaps

dont really go for the new frames

with some pace forks!!!!!

pics up soon when its finished

Lucky b*****d, which pace forks? I'm after the old rc30's

Update.

My wheels came from Tartys yesterday, superb service, so I took them to my dads to try them on (the bike, not me) and found that as the frame is so old the dropouts for the axles are a bit too small to take the new wheels so they'll need fettling with.

Managed to take some pics though which I'll post when I get home, next step is grinding out the dropouts so the wheels fit nice, adapting the Tensile maggy mounts to work on a V mount so the rear wheel actually fits and stealing back my IRC Kujo's off my dads bike!!

Weren't they the exact same as DDG Shooter frames, just rebranded and more expensive? I'm sure I remember comparing two friends and coming to that conclusion.

No, I don't think so. The Shooter was more of a jump frame - the Heavy Tools Trial frames had shorter chainstays (about 385mm) and were quite nice to ride back in the day.

Aye, I started on a 13" Rockhopper, my cousin on a mk1 Azonic DS1, two of my mates on old 14" Zascar and one on a 14" Kona!

Proper oldskool, make it up as you go along!!

Was this around Chapel? Think I remember seeing you guys somewhere... Ever ride New Mills?