Need New Wheels (any Sugestions?)

Greg

Hi guys

i was wondering if you could help. ive been biking for years but have only just taken up trials in the last month and i seem to have a problem with bending wheels. Im now on my third rear wheel as have buckled one and folded the other into a right angle :">

ive been told halo combats are good (but im not to sure what imtalking about when i comes to wheels)

any sugestions would be great

Thanks

Greg ;)

What kind of wheel is it you want, and what is it replacing? How much you are willing to spend will also help a lot, as you can spend anything from £30 to £300 on a rear wheel! This will help us find what you want, and not reomend somehting youve already got.

I would guess the wheels youve bent are fairly standard factory ones yes? if so they are made of cheese lol. Deal with them all the time at work, kids buyign cheap bikes and bending the wheels! :) If so dont worry to much, a better wheel is easy to sort out.

Factory built wheels like the halo combat are good budget options, good thick strong rim, but i bit heavy too. there mainly designed as a jump rim. If you only have a bit of money to spend, then go for it as it will be a much better wheel than the ones it sound like you have.

If possible, check out your local bike shops and see if they have any good wheelbuilders. A decent hand built wheel will be stronger than a factory wheel anyday. Even if you go for a budget wheel like a Shimano Deore hub laced to a Mavic EX721 (used to be D521) and get it handbuilt it will be very strong! the weakpoint on that wheel ive given as an example is the freehub, only 14 engagment points and quite weak to.

Also check out websites such as Chain Reaction, as they sell handbuilt wheels and are competativelhy priced too.

If you can afford it, go for something like a hope hub (Hope XC has long been a trials favorite, very strong and 21 engagement points, sealed bearings, great waranty and customer service) and either a mavic EX721 (D521) or a Sunn Rhino Lite rim.

I have a XC on Rhino lite, and its been on 3 bikesover 2years and i havent touched it since i built it, and its still only 2mm out of true, i cant be bothered to true it as its runnign a disk at the moment!

Hope that helps! (Y)

I used a mavic ceramic and a normal D521 and had no problems :)

i've now got a tryall rim and im not totally convinced yet, but bump up the tyre pressure.

If you want a d521 rim i got a few i could do for about £10

(email me if you're interested on Handsomedog1@hotmail.com)

Neil

XT/ Hope XC Hubs and D521 rims can't beat 'em especially considering the price...

www.chainreactioncycles.com  :)

Lets start easy, no use shouting names at him! go to a decent trials web-site e.g. tarty-bikes.co.uk have a look at the rims, come back tell us which one you would think about getting and we'll tell you what its like, many people advising echo's, i've never run one, i have a onza ronnie and keep denting the sidewall, and get it well built by a recomended dealer.

Ok thanks for your help guys :)

Im on a bit of a buget really so im looking to spend £60 - £90 quid really. Im not to woried about the weight of the wheel (so long as its not stupid heavy) just need somthing stong as poss as i wont be able to afford to replace it for a while if it does buckle.

So just looking for the best thing for £60 - £90 Cheers (Y)

P.s yes i am running factory wheels at the mo :"> (but they where free)

chainreaction wheels start here a basic wheel package is only 85 bucks. yeah the hubs may not be the best and the freewheels a bit slower than a hope to engage, but they're will be stronger than what you've had before and probs etter anyways. i'd go mavic 721 rim on the front and a sun rhyno lite xl on the rear.

chainreaction's builds are pretty good iv'e had a set of atomlabs on my dirt jump bike and in 18 months theyve only needed truing once (Y)

hope this helps :)

Is that £60-£90 for just the rear or for a pair?

Assuming just for the rear since thats all your breaking, merlincycles.co.uk can do XT hub, ex721 CD (dark grey coating) inc rim tape for £64 + postage and that should last a good long time. I'm still riding on a 521 (same rim just older) that i cracked about 5 years ago and its invinsible!!

You'd be lucky to get Hope hubs within your budget and would probably sacrifice a good build. I've had issues with Deore and LX hubs literally falling apart though i may just be unlucky (i'm not a hard rider but have had the bonded internal pieces come apart or the soft bearing races crack!!) so would try and get XT or even better, in my opinion, see if someone can build a rim on an old steel hub like an Acera X like I use, its so much better than all the new alloy stuff and has well outlasted the other shimano hubs i have tried and with less maintenance.

As mentioned before the build is pretty much the most important thing and i know for a fact merlin build fantastic wheels - it whats they're best known for.

Stif also build excellent wheels but are quite pricey, you'd probably pay another tenner from them for the same wheel.

Edited by djb

Is that £60-£90 for just the rear or for a pair?

Assuming just for the rear since thats all your breaking, merlincycles.co.uk can do XT hub, ex721 CD (dark grey coating) inc rim tape for £64 + postage and that should last a good long time. I'm still riding on a 521 (same rim just older) that i cracked about 5 years ago and its invinsible!!

You'd be lucky to get Hope hubs within your budget and would probably sacrifice a good build. I've had issues with Deore and LX hubs literally falling apart though i may just be unlucky (i'm not a hard rider but have had the bonded internal pieces come apart or the soft bearing races crack!!) so would try and get XT or even better, in my opinion, see if someone can build a rim on an old steel hub like an Acera X like I use, its so much better than all the new alloy stuff and has well outlasted the other shimano hubs i have tried and with less maintenance.

As mentioned before the build is pretty much the most important thing and i know for a fact merlin build fantastic wheels - it whats they're best known for.

Stif also build excellent wheels but are quite pricey, you'd probably pay another tenner from them for the same wheel.

Yeah im looking to spend 60 - 90 on the rear wheel cant afford to replace the front a the mo. and it still true so dont see much point at the mo.

£64 would be an ideal price as dont wont to pay £90ish at the mo if i dont have to as ive only just got back into ridding and my bike isnt that great.

Alot of people have said the ex721 is good and the ex721 CD is suppossed to be the best in the range, so i think ill go for one of those!

Thanks Mate >_<

Just to check the price of £64 will get me a whole wheel? not just hub and rim. Full built ready to bolt on?

Just to check the price of £64 will get me a whole wheel? not just hub and rim. Full built ready to bolt on?

Yes, whole wheel built up inc rim tape and skewer ready to attach.

Happy to help

Edited by djb

Yes, whole wheel built up inc rim tape and skewer ready to attach.

Happy to help

Thats Great Cheers mate >_<

Ive just got to get my car serviced this weekend and hopfully ill have enough money left after that to get one on order :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone else aswell you have all been very helpful (Y)