Learning With A Cracked Frame

seabass

Someone has offered me a frame which has two small cracks in it. The rest of the componentry on the bike is quite good.

The frame has cracked just behind the headtube and again on the chainstay. The seller says that he's been riding it for 6 months and its still holding, its a Koxx Levelboss

Would it be strong enough to last learning the basics on? Im not going to be doing any mental drops or massive gaps on it. My idea being to ride the frame until it breaks and then replace just the frame and transfer the other parts across.

Anyone got any opinions or advice on this?

Ta

i learnt on a frame that was cracked in just the same way as you describe and I think it benefitted me hugely. You always have it in the back of your mind that the frame could give at any moment and that makes you concentrate on being smooth - something which I believe all trials riders need to be. I know that I don't have the natural talent to go as big as the big boys, so I concentrate on making it look effortless. I hope you can see the point and grab the deal. I never even snapped mine, I just got to the point where I wanted to have more confidence in my frame - about 6 months later.

Hope this helps.

J

I'd say no! but whats the spec? how much you paying for it? maybe you can get the bike, get it welded, and it may last you longer. Also with it welded it will give you peace of mind that its okay for the time been, and you hopefully wont die!

But you can pick up a second/third/forth hand frame up for pretty cheap on here.

Thanks for the info folks.

Ive been offered the whole bike for £160, the rest of the spec is pretty good.

Im on a really tight budget and Im not too bothered about learning huge gaps and drops, just really having a mess around and getting some exercise. They have put in a new sea wall where I live with loads of rocks so the whole area looks like some good riding terrain.

P.S. Has anyone got any opinions on Monty 219 ALP's? Ive been offered one for £70. Standard spec but its fairly old, standard V's etc. I can only find info on the new ones on the internet and they are mainly manufacturer stuff, nothing really from any riders.

Levelboss and XTP mods ride extremely well. I'd go for one any time, in fact the other day i was wanting to buy a cracked XTP from my friend.

It all depends on how expensive welding is in the UK. If you can get the frame welded properly, it shouldn't give you any trouble whatsoever. On the other hand, you might come across a grotty workshop which won't make a good job of it and so the frame will snap again. And finally, it depends on how you ride, if you're planning to do lots of drop gaps etc. or just ride normally.

I'm sure it'd be much easier for us to judge if you posted up some pics of the cracks. A crack near the headtube isn't usually something to worry about, on the other hand cracked chainstays may be a problem.

I'm sure it'd be much easier for us to judge if you posted up some pics of the cracks. A crack near the headtube isn't usually something to worry about, on the other hand cracked chainstays may be a problem.

I was gona post earlier saying the total opposite??

Wouldn't a cracked headtube be a bit more dangerous than chain stays? I'd rather ride a bike with cracked stay's than a cracked headtube, at least you know if it all snap's youll just drop a few inches and still be standing there holding on to your bars. If your headtube fall's off that's a bit more catastrophic?

Basically imagine your going to pay nothing for the frame, because a cracked frame is worth jack shit basically, but if you would buy all the other bits for the price your going to pay do it, and then just hope it lasts for a while before you can get enough for a new frame

I was gona post earlier saying the total opposite??

Wouldn't a cracked headtube be a bit more dangerous than chain stays? I'd rather ride a bike with cracked stay's than a cracked headtube, at least you know if it all snap's youll just drop a few inches and still be standing there holding on to your bars. If your headtube fall's off that's a bit more catastrophic?

Of course it would be more dangerous if you rode the frame without welding it.

I made that judgment assuming he'd have the cracks welded, or at least tried to remove them with a file if they aren't too deep.

I'm quite certain a welded headtube would outlast welded chainstays. (edit: again, assuming there's a small crack in the head tube, not a huge one that goes right round :P )

Edited by Inur

I'm quite certain a welded headtube would outlast welded chainstays. (edit: again, assuming there's a small crack in the head tube, not a huge one that goes right round :P )

It would seem that the crack is by a weld near the headtube, where the bottom tube meets the top tube. Its not all the way around but goes just the width of the weld. The chainstay crack is about 5mm long, starting at a pre-drilled hole and working along.

According to the seller its been fine with his riding for the last 6 months, neither crack has got any bigger. I think I might go for it and then when it breaks Ill just buy another second hand frame. Its the best deal Ive been offered so far by a long way.

Thanks for all the info folks, its really useful and your all very helpful :)

Where do you suggest I have it welded (as in workshop, not on frame)?

Would a regular welding shop do (there is a place just down the road from here that does motorbike chassis welding) or should I take it to a proper cycle shop.

Only problem with a proper cycle shop type place is there arent really any around here that deal in trials gear and none that do welding of any kind

Where do you suggest I have it welded (as in workshop, not on frame)?

Would a regular welding shop do (there is a place just down the road from here that does motorbike chassis welding) or should I take it to a proper cycle shop.

Only problem with a proper cycle shop type place is there arent really any around here that deal in trials gear and none that do welding of any kind

cycle shop wont have a clue i'd imagine, unless they make frames there.

motorbike place is best bet see if they can weld some plate's in for you to add a bit of strength

Basically imagine your going to pay nothing for the frame, because a cracked frame is worth jack shit basically, but if you would buy all the other bits for the price your going to pay do it, and then just hope it lasts for a while before you can get enough for a new frame

Yeah exactly. Buy it, ride it, but expect to pay for a new frame in the near future.

That's exactly what I did when I bought an Ashton ET which had a hairline crack (about an inch long) at the headtube. The seller claimed he had ridden it for a few months like that. When I got it, I rode it for a whole year before the frame died - and when it did break, it was in a completely different place (around the BB).

So yes, like some people have said, the crack at the head tube will probably last longer than the one on the chain stay. But as long as you expect it to break soon, I don't see any problems. Just make sure you put some money aside for a few frame :)

P.S. Helmets are good.